free hit
counters
Drive Shaft oil seal - Page 3 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I was alluding to the generally rusty undersides of UK Esprits. Few other owners drive them in the wet, not to mention salted roads!

My link pins are frozen solid, they wont even turn :)! But glad to hear yours are still removable! 

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

@Vanya - you need fire, heat and tons of really bad swearing to shift them link pins

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

@Vanya - you need fire, heat and tons of really bad swearing to shift them link pins

Ive got a whole lexicon of offensive language ready to unleash on them. It will be like therapy.

• Like 2

Good job!  Dropping the lower link is my preferred method for removing the driveshafts.  As you say, it is really simple and even re-alignment is pretty straight-forward with the help of a trolley jack. 

• Like 1

Has anyone considered using a single coiled pin instead of the dual split pin approach?

https://www.spirol.com/library/sub_catalogs/cldp-What_Differentiates_Coiled_Pins_us.pdf

Any thoughts either way? I am tempted to give the coiled pin a try along with the dual seal approach.

cheers

-Chris

Here's a pretty picture to help prompt some opinions. 🙂

Although it might be a moot point as I haven't found any the right size that are not sold in bags of 1000 so far.

403625679_SpiralRollPinHSPRP-A2_lg.jpg.b849f4dd81e25b1c23e0fa3feb722d24.jpg

Pah - bastard things will leak no matter what. Either pin, driveshaft seals or box seam.

its a pointless and unwinnable battle

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Pah - bastard things will leak no matter what. Either pin, driveshaft seals or box seam.

its a pointless and unwinnable battle

Yeah seriously. If Murphy's law dictates that SOMETHING on the Esprit is always gonna need doing, better it's the driveshaft seals than something else. Better the devil you know....

Ah nuts, that's the first report of the double seal method failing. However that is probably to be expected and when compared with the number of standard fitments I suspect the ratio of failures will be about the same.

But I live in hope so I have a pair of the below items coming, these are double lipped, I will compare them with the standard items and see which one takes my fancy.

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Seals-Viton-Rubber/c19_4462/index.html

I have a second pair of single lipped items coming too which I had planned on using as the dust seal if necessary but I am not sure there is going to be enough depth for the pair of them. 10mm for the above and 7mm for the secondary items.

cheers

-Chris

Just drain the oil out the box - reckon that’s the only way of stopping it weeping

• Haha 1

On 08/10/2015 at 12:48, LotuStuart said:

I just want to recommend Auto Revive of Harefield, West London.

They have an impressive history with cars (workshop full of Maserati, Ferrari, Mustang....) and have done a few jobs on my Esprit. They've replaced the oil seal, and I'll let you know if it leaks/doesn't leak....

Well worth a visit, telephone 01895 255229

Coming up to three leak free years.

When I had my gearbox rebuilt, the bloke put an O-ring over the output shafts. Made the driveshafts difficult to get on, but no leaks so far.