free hit
counters
Living with the new 400 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Living with the new 400

Just a bit of an update on the 400 having had it for a week now.

The good things: The noise, so much better than my last Evora, even though I am only running her in, a big plus for the new car.

The looks, far superior to the old car, much more road presence another massive step up over the old car.

The interior is also much better although far from perfect , the new dashboard is great but boy does it wobble on poor surfaces.

Fuel economy- averaging 31mpg, way better than the old car.

Bad points: The seats , for all the talk and 'bigging up'of the seats I and anyone who has loved cars as long as me knows that Sparco are not and never have been as good as Recaro seats. Massive difference in quality. The seats in my car already look as if a twenty sone man has had a year in them!.

Ride quality- absolutely terrible, it now rides like a bloody Peugeot , I wonder why?, not hard to fathom. The old cars most unique USP has gone, it's crap. I'm not saying they shouldn't have stiffened up the set up a bit, but it's now a real pain.

Paint finish- my car which is signature silver has major issues, i.e. every panel looks different, Lotus are looking into this at present as its really bad. They do agree there is a big issue with my car, so I will keep you updated on this.

Despite the negative points I am still enjoying driving the car, but would really like it softening up a tad.

Phil

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just a quick update of my Evora 400 issues. As you are aware the main problem with my car was the poor paint quality in particular the colour difference between various panels. Well I am pleased to co

Gone for the Green.

Ours is fully run in. I would say the exhaust note reaches its peak around 5.5k rpm. The pull from the engine is pretty linear until just before the red line - there are no bu

Posted Images

Interesting feedback Phil.

I'm really impressed the fuel economy has improved, I know you're running it in but a 31mpg average is incredible for a 180mph car.

I share your views about the seats but felt the ride was still excellent on the roads I tried it on. To be fair I was comparing it to a V6 Cup but even so, a bit more 'nuggety' perhaps but still a very comfortable road car I thought.

I hope you get the paintwork sorted. Keep us posted.

Paint finish- my car which is signature silver has major issues, i.e. every panel looks different, Lotus are looking into this at present as its really bad. They do agree there is a big issue with my car, so I will keep you updated on this.

Phil

This is disappointing to hear. The last time I visited the factory they proudly showed how they inspect the paint finish on every car before it leaves the factory and made good even minor imperfections.

I wonder if they have changed this QC as part of cost saving measures

Looking forward to seeing the 400 for the first time in the flesh at Silverstone on Weds

Edited by PaulCP
  • Gold FFM

So first few new 400 owners having a few issues in the first 2 weeks. This is depressing and Lotus really shoukd have learnt lessons from the past here.

I hope you all get your 400's sorted quickly and to your full satisfaction.

Rememember to look after them, treat them better than your wife or husband or partner or whatever is legal for a better half these days. You need to do this as I'll be buying one of your 400's in 3 years!  Only had my current Evora for 5 months so need to fully enjoy it before I move on to the 400.  :) :):)

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Thanks for posting Phil. Really interesting to hear your thoughts as an owner. I saw one for the first time in the flesh and was blown away.

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Thanks for the support everyone. The Evora 400 is a very good car, but has a few inherent issues that can easily be sorted, i.e. make it ride like a Lotus should. (the roads in and around Sheffield are the worst surfaces in the country)

With regards to my paint issues, I'm sure there is a satisfactory solution to be had, although I won't be happy until that solution presents itself. (a respray is whats needed but not my answer to the problem).

I suppose what is really apparent to me is that my last Evora sports racer was a good car and in trying to make that car great and cheaper to build Lotus have mainly achieved their goal but anyone who has owned one of the last Evoras will see where the cost savings are. For example the original car's dashboard never moved around like the new one over poor surfaces- its quite alarming.

Phil

Hope you get it all sorted out Phil.

USP? uneven surface performance?

Odd about the dash as you would presume they would mount it the same as the previous models which were ok? Maybe the suspension shows it up more now and the problem was always there?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Hope you get it all sorted out Phil.

USP? uneven surface performance?

usp - that's another British tla for you - unique selling point.

Only here once

Thanks Barry.

I hate tla's. Bloody hell. The world even did it to three letter acronyms. Sigh.....

Edited by ramjet
  • Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Thanks for the support everyone. The Evora 400 is a very good car, but has a few inherent issues that can easily be sorted, i.e. make it ride like a Lotus should. (the roads in and around Sheffield are the worst surfaces in the country)

With regards to my paint issues, I'm sure there is a satisfactory solution to be had, although I won't be happy until that solution presents itself. (a respray is whats needed but not my answer to the problem).

I suppose what is really apparent to me is that my last Evora sports racer was a good car and in trying to make that car great and cheaper to build Lotus have mainly achieved their goal but anyone who has owned one of the last Evoras will see where the cost savings are. For example the original car's dashboard never moved around like the new one over poor surfaces- its quite alarming.

Phil

the best thing about the old car was its "magic carpet" ride and steering! If the ride has been ruined the person who did that should be SHOT! Maybe just your car as the reviews have not picked up on this?

thanks for sharing, we're all very interested!! Please keep this thread live with all your "real life owner" experiences.

?

• Gold FFM

usp - that's another British tla for you - unique selling point.

I think you'll  find it was a product of our cousins across the pond. Somthing else to bame those tla holders for - bloody MBA's should be consigned to history.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Disappointing to hear of issues such as poor paint jobs and dashboards that wobble over the bumps. Yeah, the road surfaces around Sheffield are poor in places, especially higher up. After the heavy snows and prolonged sub zero spells of weather from 2009-11, the road surface quality deteriorated in many areas and has simple never been repaired by councils with low and decreasing budgets, i.e. pretty much all of South Yorkshire. However, my daughter's 13yo Polo rides over our pothole-ridden roads without the dashboard wobbling! It's something that you'd expect from a stripped-out, ultra hardcore racer but not from a £72-80,000 GT sports car, For most people, I think the harsher ride will be an acceptable (if not liked) compromise for the dynamic improvements elsewhere, but dodgy paint jobs, seats that look well-worn after only weeks of use, and wobbling dashes are an unpleasant surprise given all that's been said about the huge improvements in quality.

For most people, I think the harsher ride will be an acceptable (if not liked) compromise for the dynamic improvements elsewhere.

I think this is a key point. Phil, it would be great if you could comment on the handling compares to the Evora S. Thanks.

As the Ingress have been made easier esp to attract new customers I think a harsher ride would not fit into that. Dynamic improvements will be relevant for Motor journos but in real life on public roads you are far away from the Limits of the car, even in the "old" S. On a racetrack it might be different - but how many of the "new" customers Lotus wants to attract are planning to use it on a racetrack regularly? 

Forgive me if I'm teaching you to suck eggs.. I'm not. But maybe the setup is wrong... Has the geometry been set for the road or "aggressive track" bias?

One of the first cars I guess.. They do play on the fact its a "new" car?! 

I do hope the 400's ride hasn't been compromised too much to get a track time so as to make it unbearable to drive everyday...

Certainly not in my experience of 5 of them now. Phillip, I'd be taking that back to the dealer and asking them to take a look at it. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

^ Exactly right, the suspension is unaffected by the DPM mode.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Very interesting review and sorry to hear you are having issues with the car. I'm surprised on your comments by the seats and the ride, everyone I have demo'd in our car (which has 800 miles on it) has loved the interior and ride quality? 

Forgive me if I'm teaching you to suck eggs.. I'm not. But maybe the setup is wrong... Has the geometry been set for the road or "aggressive track" bias?

One of the first cars I guess.. They do play on the fact its a "new" car?! 

I do hope the 400's ride hasn't been compromised too much to get a track time so as to make it unbearable to drive everyday...

Definitively something to check and something that seems to be off on many cars coming from Hethel. Even my GTE had the geometry way off, even though it was supposedly checked by Lotus Racing before delivery.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower!