free hit
counters
The first UK wet sump Turbo. - Page 5 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

The first UK wet sump Turbo.

stephenwhyte

Would love to Alan.......it's on my list of meets to get to as I've never been. If the car is ready by then I don't see why not.....although I must confess to being a bit of a fair weather supporterB-) 

Desperately hoping all is ok with it when we get it on the road......hopefully next week. A tad concerned about finding out that the original wastegate seems to be a bit of an oddball. Think I'm going to run with the 7psi spare one I have for now until I know what I've got........:cry:

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yes Andy Dry Sump ones were 7.5PSI.......but my gut (and the condition of everything in situ) tells me the 9PSI was original to this car. Maybe Lotus thought the Wet Sump Turbo introduction was more robust and take the extra boost of the 9PSI......but the facts proved to be different?

I'm going to try and get some info from Andy Graham but I think I might be clutching at straws hoping to find that kind of detailed info.

Either way I will be putting it back to the way it was once it's MOT'd.........can't be much longer before that landmark is reached!!:o

• Like 2

It might not be original Steve but I just struggle to see why the only owner of the car before me, would in 17,500 miles, have changed the Wastegate, when everything else around it is so clearly original.......including how the Wastegate looked in place with it's fixings.

There are quite a few quirks to this car and this one wouldn't surprise me as another.

5 hours ago, Andyww said:

Stephen do you know if your car was ever a press test car? If so, that might explain the 9 PSI wastegate. Lotus often tweaked press cars... 

No good shout, but it wasn't a press car Andy. Would be no reason for it to be as it's special to me being the first Wet Sump, but that wasn't a new car change for the press to promote to the public from my understanding anyway.

It's a curious one though and I wonder if I'll ever uncover why it was there and will continue to be there, if I get my way......

On 14/02/2017 at 08:09, stephenwhyte said:

Would love to Alan.......it's on my list of meets to get to as I've never been. If the car is ready by then I don't see why not.....although I must confess to being a bit of a fair weather supporterB-)

Duns hotel booked for the Saturday night. Hotel booked half way up the M6 for Friday night. Don't let me down Stephen...

More than happy with a pic next to your S4s buddy!

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

8 hours ago, swindon_alan said:

Duns hotel booked for the Saturday night. Hotel booked half way up the M6 for Friday night. Don't let me down Stephen...

More than happy with a pic next to your S4s buddy!

Nice one Alan - I'll do my best to be there too:thumbup:

It was all about timing Buddsy. When we first started this work my thought was to just replace the manifold, adaptor and Wastegate as the manifold I bought had the other parts included. We then spotted there was a difference in the spec of the Wastegates, so I then thought I'd send the one attached, away to PNM to be refurbished only to realise the bolt sizes to hold the Wastegate to the adaptor were different when trying to fit the lower psi one. I then spoke to Pete and he said if the Wastegate condition was anything to go by, he would use the original adaptor. He has now refurbished both the Wastegate and adaptor (pic attached) and said they were both like new mechanically, before he refurbished.......they just needed freshened up after being on the car for so long. So the original adaptor and Wastegate will now be refitted this week. The whole thing has been rather dragged out but it's all about trying to make the right decisions, and fit in with everyone's else's schedules. I'll get there though:thumbup:

On the subject of Brian Angus - how would I get in touch with him? Was he not involved with the Esprit later in its production life.......I thought he was more involved around the HC introduction time? I did email Andy Graham and he told me he spoke to an engineer he knew from the time, and he told him "I am told (but note this is not documented so should not be taken as 100% accurate), it would appear a later wastegate could have been fitted" - so not gospel but an interesting possibility nonetheless.

IMG_3694.JPG

• Like 2

14 hours ago, stephenwhyte said:

On the subject of Brian Angus - how would I get in touch with him?

@brian_gt4 :)

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Intrested to see the outcome of this Stephen,  Andys theory about the press car tweaks sounds pretty logical so far,  I think the first wet sump would of been of importance to the press from lotus as did they not get rid of the dry sump due to owners not been able to check the oil levels properly ?  So they may of done an article or something to get it out in the open that wet sumps are now fitted  maybe ?

A

19 minutes ago, silverfrost said:

Intrested to see the outcome of this Stephen,  Andys theory about the press car tweaks sounds pretty logical so far,  I think the first wet sump would of been of importance to the press from lotus as did they not get rid of the dry sump due to owners not been able to check the oil levels properly ?  So they may of done an article or something to get it out in the open that wet sumps are now fitted  maybe ?

I can now see why owners had issues checking their oil level.  Not an issue with my SE or V8, but my V12 Murcielago has a dry sump, and checking the oil level is not easy, nor conclusive.  You have to drive the car to get it good and hot, then rev it in park for 1 min between 2100 and 2500 rpm, then shut off the engine, and within 1 min check the oil level with the floppy and hard to manage dip stick mounting above exhaust manifold that is inside a burning hot engine bay. And because you were just revving it, the oil is splashed everywhere in the neck and fouls the reading no matter how many times you pull and clean the dipstick.  Plus the car always has nice clean oil on it, so you can't really see it on the dipstick.  You have to use a paper towel to make an impression to get a better idea.

In the end, I just make sure to put in the right amount on oil changes and do them frequently.

Edited by lotusespritse
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Interesting to see a 35 year old invoice, when you consider the Esprit would be a £50,000 car in today's marketplace, that puts inflation at around 400% Mr Sanger was well and truly stitched up with delivery charges £535, plates £60, and car tax what's that all about £4800 and just to add insult to injury they charged him VAT on the tax.

• Like 1