free hit
counters
Evora 400 Roadster - Page 2 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Evora 400 Roadster

The Roadster was done back when they initially designed the car back in '07-08 but Bahar wasn't an Evora fan so didn't push it through. I'd imagine various legislative/supplier/staff etc changes since then means it's had to be reworked. The 400 chassis is equally as stiff as the previous car so that's not an impact. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The new retro Audi or Porsche of tomorrow is unveiled

Personally, I think Lotus have the Roadster (as a 2 piece targra) ready to go.  They are holding off so as not to damage sales of the (delayed) federal coupe in Americaland. Once the first flush of sa

They've had 7-8 years! 

Posted Images

Buy an Exige then?

Currently Owned: 2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400 'Hethel Edition' in Essex Blue, Red Leather, Red Calipers, Silver Forged Wheels
Previously Owned: 2010 Lotus Evora NA in Solar Yellow, Sports Pack, Tech Pack, "Heritage Edition" Recaro Seats
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

I've thought about that, but my assumption is that there will be storage space behind the seat, if only to hold the two pieces of the roof as well as the trunk.  Also, the Evora 400 interior appointments are much better than the current appointments in the Exige.  My assumption is that rear seats in most 2+2s are nice places to hold packages, not people.  

But I can't wait for the Exige 350 Sport and the Evora 400 to finally get to the States so I can see them in the flesh

Exige will only be in the USA as a track car.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I appreciate that rear seats are not important for everyone, but for many they are useful to have and open up a wider market for a car. 

I hate to say it, but Lotus are going to really have to up their marketing game to compete in the upmarket 2 seat sports car market.

I appreciate your point, but back seats in 2+2s is for kids or very short trips with small adults.  If you need a real back seat, you go for a sports sedan or coupe like the newly introduced Alpha Guilia.  

Not sure why you feel the upmarket 2 seat sports car market is such a leap.  From a US perspective, the only real competition is from Porsche.  

I have two young kids, which probably explains my bias. I'm not sure I could have convinced my wife about a car which couldn't carry them, even if only occasionally. 

I'm not that familiar with the US market, but in the UK there seem to be more competitors in the 2 seat convertible market at that price level (F-Type, Boxster, SLK55, AMV8) than there are in the 2+2 sports coupe market (basically the 911, which is more expensive).

Let's take your examples.  The F-Type is much heavier and is much more of a true GT cruiser.  The Boxster is much smaller with far less storage space in the car and the car is far less powerful.   Not sure what the AMV8 is.  The most direct competitor is the Porsche 911 Targa which is MUCH more expensive.  Same can be said of the Audi R8 Spyder.  In the states, the only other car might be the C7 Vette which is a targa and is cheap compared to either the Lotus or the Porsche, if you are a Corvette person (I'm not). 

I don't see a bunch of competition, especially when you are talking about targas.  Personally, I might be able to get my wife in a targa, but never a convertible.  Years ago, she was is a cab that got into a bad accident and flipped.

I was able to buy our Evora because it had rear seats, and we use them. We do drives of up to around 400 miles a day in the car 4-up when going abroad, and my girls are now 5'8" and 5'5" (19 and 14 years old) so not the small children everybody says the seats are only suitable for. I'm around 5'11" and my wife around 5'6", so around average height too for European adults. We have breaks every 2 hours or so to move around and stretch out. Yes it's a squeeze, but it's good fun and if you aspire to having a close family then perhaps this is the car for you!

Last summer I wondered if the novelty had worn off and offered to fly the girls out, but they preferred to come with us in the Lotus rather than fly or go in a people carrier. They do complain about limited luggage (and the fact I weigh their bags), but we get by. They love the car and the look on faces when we hand four passports out of the window at borders... 

I expect the Roadster will only be a 2-seater. I understand why but it will mean it's not an option for me for perhaps 5 years or more.

• 2 weeks later...

Keeping my fingers crossed it it will be something like the McLaren 675LT Spider. If so one kidney, part of liver and my soul will be put up for sale on eBay... Looking at the films about the Evora you can see sketches in the background of the original thoughts on a roadster variant.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Before the new Elise arrives, a roadster version of the Evora 400will be introduced as soon as the end of this year, Lotus also confirmed to Auto Express. It’ll feature a two-part carbon-fibre roof, which can be removed by hand and stowed between the engine and seats. This car will be mechanically identical to the hard-top, but with some tweaked rear panels.

From: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/lotus/elise/93937/new-2019-lotus-elise-to-be-more-usable-day-to-day#

That would be pretty neat if the rear seats have room behind them for the panels to keep them out of the way. 

Evora NA

Between the engine and the seats is fairly direct. Why would you say that if you meant 'behind the front seats'?

Evora NA

Has it been confirmed that the Evora Roadster will definitely be 2+2?

If it ends up being a 2+0 only, then there will be plenty of room between the (front) seats and the engine for any panels. However, it would beg the question, why bother? The Exige Roadster already covers the '2 seat, V6 Lotus' option.

• Gold FFM

2+0 fine by me and would be a great grand tourer. Worked for the Fezza 550 and 575 and so would work for me...

If you want a 2+2 then Fiat do this?  :devil:

500c.jpg

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

26 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

The Exige Roadster already covers the '2 seat, V6 Lotus' option.

I think the Evora and Exige are quite different beasts.

At Stratton's I really liked the Evora 400. The level of comfort and trim made it look a really nice place to spend time. Ive always fancied the Exige roadster but looking at it I made me remember its still quite a stripped out racer.

The Evora reminds me of the Esprit with its comfort and carpet.

Try turning up for a red carpet event in a Exige, nice as it is I think the Evora would be much more at home.

Buddsy

• Like 2

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

I agree. The Exige is pure, unfiltered excitement. The Evora is closer to what I've experienced with Porsche.

So what I'm hoping for from the Evora Roadster is something that is more intense than the Evora coupé, but with more creature comforts than the Exige S. That's the way the car would make sense to me.

BTW, does anyone know when we can expect the first pics of the Evora Roadster?

I'd be shocked if the roadster is a 2+2.  Can't imagine there being room for both rear passengers and the roof panels between the front seats and the engine.  My question is whether there will be room for any storage on top of the panels once they are stored behind the seats.  

On 1/6/2016 at 07:26, Bibs said:

Between the engine and the seats is fairly direct. Why would you say that if you meant 'behind the front seats'?

Would you happen to know stuff you cannot talk about openly because you signed an NDA?