free hit
counters
Evora 400 Roadster - Page 4 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Evora 400 Roadster

• Gold FFM

Lol - would not work for me as my wife needs a whole bag just for shoes.....   hahahaha

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The new retro Audi or Porsche of tomorrow is unveiled

Personally, I think Lotus have the Roadster (as a 2 piece targra) ready to go.  They are holding off so as not to damage sales of the (delayed) federal coupe in Americaland. Once the first flush of sa

They've had 7-8 years! 

Posted Images

The two or four seat question is interesting in that it will likely affect what cars the Evora Roadster will be compared/tested against, by the press, come launch time. Assuming a price of £85,000, a 2+0 is inevitably up against the £7,000 more expensive F-type R convertible; whereas I'd have thought that a 2+2 would likely  be judged against the £5-7,000 (6-speed/PDK) more expensive 911 Carrera 4 Cabriolet. Regardless of which, in this section of the market, Lotus are going to be under the greatest pressure and scrutiny yet, regarding interior quality and ambience. I wonder whether anything from the Lotus Exclusive interiors might make an appearance on the press cars ...

I think Lotus could do both. It's pretty obvious that the panels will go behind the front seats (where else could they go?). On that basis there could be rear seats or not.  Noting that the back seats couldn't be used if the panels are being stored. But could be used if the panels are in place.  Seems like a decent compromise to me.  Lotus could then copy the coupe, with an everyday (400) car with back seats, and a stripped down carbon fibred up (410) car without back seats. Wouldn't change much and the panels would still store behind the front seats, and there would still be plenty of storage space in the rear, back seats or no. That way, both bases are covered.  Of course the panels will likely only go back to the B pillar, so the rear seats wouldn't be open to the sky, I suspect.  

So, my hope is that Lotus mirror the coupe line up with the Roadster. Seems pretty logical to me.

• Like 2

Sudders and Dany

• Gold FFM

With a 0-60 time of 4sec and top speed of 186mph, the F-Type's performance is very close to that of the Sport 410.  Hmmm, could it be that the roadster is going to be based on the 410?  I know, I know, wishful thinking etc...

4.7 secs for the 911 and 179 mph means the 400 Roadster will almost certainly be quicker.

I'm really hoping they pull it off with regards to interior quality. Everything else is there and ready to go. Here's wishing and hoping.

• Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Quicker off the mark, but don't Lotus have a habit of limiting the top speed of their roadsters? The Exige 350 Roadster is limited to 150mph, no?

Sudders and Dany

Due to the softtop...

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Speaking from personal experience, the 2+2 option certainly makes it easier to justify the purchase to sceptical other halves, even if, in reality you don't end up carrying the munchkins in the back very often.

I'd be happy enough if it came as a 2+2 whereby you could only use the back seats when the roof panels were in place, that would be a good compromise. I somehow doubt it'll work like that, sadly.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM
15 minutes ago, Bibs said:

Due to the softtop...

I guess that just like a well taped down wig it would be sucked off at high speeds.  The soft top that is.

46 minutes ago, Suddabym said:

Quicker off the mark, but don't Lotus have a habit of limiting the top speed of their roadsters? The Exige 350 Roadster is limited to 150mph, no?

Yes and Elise Cup 250 154mph

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own a true British supercar the Evora GT430

1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

With a 0-60 time of 4sec and top speed of 186mph, the F-Type's performance is very close to that of the Sport 410.  Hmmm, could it be that the roadster is going to be based on the 410?  I know, I know, wishful thinking etc...

4.7 secs for the 911 and 179 mph means the 400 Roadster will almost certainly be quicker.

I'm really hoping they pull it off with regards to interior quality. Everything else is there and ready to go. Here's wishing and hoping.

Don't forget that the Evora roadster will have a bespoke new rear clamshell. Probably no glass or louvers covering the engine bay or and maybe more of an "à la 3-Eleven"  design engine cover.

• Gold FFM

Didn't think the 3 eleven had an engine cover as such - if that is the case then the things going to get a soaking here in Scotland every day if a daily driver...

qcrptzvjq9n1kwhlqf3g.jpg

Also with those gaps some little twonk is going to think it fun to poke sticks in and fold up crisp bags in there etc.  They will, trust me....  Too much Irn Bru and these twonks will do anything with that sugar rush...

• Like 1

I did assume that the roadster speed limiting was due to pressure differential on the soft top, but I'm also thinking that a covered roof rear of the B pillar (if I'm right) would require some kind of thought too.  Lotta wind would gather in there at 186mph. Personally, I think off the line speed says more than top end, and is more useable.  

• Like 1

Sudders and Dany

True true, I was more thinking of the overall design of this clamshell. The name of the game is light is right isn't it so except for an elegant integration of the roll cage I'm thinking minimal glass and or louvers protection for the engine, as this transvserse engine seats quite high in the engine bay - compared to a longitudinal V8 layout - the engine bay cover may bulge a lot, and no doubt the design team is going to get creative to integrate it. Still, I think they did a pretty clean job with the 3Eleven rear clam shell and they are refining their design incarnation after incarnation so I'm betting on a more refined 3Elevenish rear clamshell look.   

Agreed.  It will certainly be interesting to see what Lotus come up with. The obvious (and simplist) option would appear to be to simply replace the roof between the A and B pillars with the two carbon panels. Job done. But I hope they do something a bit more special than that a la the fantastic design work that went into the 3-11. We shall just have to wait and see. 

Sudders and Dany

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 11:52, Bravo73 said:

Apologies for sounding so brusque. Was on airport wifi on my 'phone. 

No worries.  About the 2+2 issue, I see this as a significant advantage to the Evora 400 versus the rest of the Lotus line.  I have had an Elise since 2011.  I absolutely love that car, and I always will.  But if my kids want to go with me somewhere, it's either a no-go on the Lotus, or I need to say no to the kids.  (I know there will be various responses to that out there.)  But especially since they love Lotus too, it's nice to be able to take them along.  And they don't mind being stuffed into small seats.  Besides amazing looks, and a great engine with fantastic sound, the Evora 400 offers something no other sports car would have here in the US:  a manual transmission and about 3000 lbs of weight.  And it's driveable on regular streets.  If Lotus goes to a 2+0 for the Evora, it would have to be a substitute for the Elise.  But I can't see myself parting with the Elise.  So that would be the end for the Evora, sadly.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

Only an end if the roadster is only a +0 surely, the coop (I think that's what you guys call them over there) will still be +2 available?

I get it, having the kids in the back whooping would be fun. I'm just old, cranky, and well past that stage as my kids are all grown up. Unlike some of my very stupid mates, I've resisted the urge of a mid life crisis and the need to trade my wife in for a 10 year younger model. Whilst I'm out having fun in the Evora they're going through the shitty nappies/diapers stage all over again and whilst my grin is one of genuine enjoyment of life, well, theirs, .......  isn't!  LOL.

Each to their own I hope Lotus continue with a +0 for old grumpy farts like me and +2 for you guys still enjoying the kids.  Maybe my outlook will change when / if the grandkids come along but then I'll just have to trade up to a new Evora +2 won't I! :)

• Like 1

BWex, the Porsche Cayman is under 3,000 lbs and offers a manual transmission.  The 911 is a little heavier, but not by much and also offers a manual.  The Evora is not alone, but it is in good company

I think an Evora Roadster might compare even more favourably to some of its rivals than the coupe. JMG has stated previously that the way Lotus build their cars the roof on the Evora is not really structural. As far as I can tell it's basically a fibreglass cover, so going to a roadster won't really add any weight.

Some of Lotus' rivals  - eg. Aston, Jaguar (if you're going British car) have much heavier cars in convertible form compared to the Coupes, so the Lotus' weight advantage would be even more apparent in that scenario

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

Mine is a 2+2, I have a 5 year old. He rarely travels in the back but he has done, as have some of my mates. I think it would be a serious error not to make a 2+2 option in the convertible. However I understand the appeal to make it a stand alone model.

As said previously a good choice would be 400 2+2 and 410 2+0

Gav

• Like 2

Lotus has a huge weight advantage versus its British rivals (Aston and Jag).   If you want low weight AND a manual transmission, you're down to Lotus and Porsche, at least in the USA.

I would expect in the USA the Corvette may make a somewhat natural rival too, as they're all targa tops or convertibles. I have quite the soft spot for the targa vette.

James Martin (JayEmm)

The Vette is THE screaming bargain sports car in the USA, but I doubt many people cross shop Vettes against Porsche or Lotus.  The Vette is too boy racer.  But on paper, just judging the specs and the price, the Vette should be killing Porsche, Lotus, Audi, Jag etc.  And if the C7 isn't enough for you, there is always the Z06 which is also a screaming bargain for what it offers.  Of course, I'm referring to the price of the Vette in the US.  European pricing makes the Vette much less of a bargain. 

Neat aspect of the targa Vette is that the top stores in the back on a hinge so you don't lose all of your storage space in the back with the top back there.  Nice car at a very nice price if you are into Vettes.  But a lot of people are put off by the styling (like myself).  

Bringing the discussion back to Lotus, I suspect their major competition in Europe and the US is Porsche.  This is particularly true for the Evora whether coupe or roadster. 

I agree CCD - I think the Lotus is not luxurious enough for the average Jag or Aston buyer. Most people buying those brands probably also think Lotus to be too unreliable, or impractical, as odd as that seems to those of us who know the brands.

I think Ferrari buyers are unlikely interested in the Lotus because frankly it's too cheap (talking exclusively about new cars here).

So that really does leave Porsche as the main rival. Possibly then people looking at things like second hand R8s, now there isn't a V8 R8 anymore. I thought that was an odd move, as the V8 R8 seemed to be the most successful 911 rival to come out in recent years.

James Martin (JayEmm)

If you look at US sales figures, the Vette sells around 20,000 units, the 911 around 6,000 units and everyone else is around 2,000 or less.  In terms of sales figures, the R8 was never a serious competitor for Porsche.  And the R8 really is a different kind of beast.  It is much heavier, far less practical in terms of storage space, and still features the relatively numb Audi steering feel.  I'd wager the Mercedes GT-S is much more competition for Porsche than the R8.

Personally, given the choice between a used R8 and the Evora, I'd take the Evora.    

I guess one thing to appreciate is there are a lot of guys who will seek out a car deliberately that ISN'T a Porsche/911 because they just don't like them. Usually people who have never driven one, it has to be said

I think Lotus guys are a bit like motorcyclists. Most of them are very particular about their bike, and have a good relationship with it - it's rarely "just a way to get around"

Edited by JayEmm

James Martin (JayEmm)