free hit
counters
CAI AND EXHAUST - Page 2 - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

I ordered one of the SSC induction kits yesterday too. I was going to wait until there was a review on here but im impatient. They seem to arrive fairly quickly considering where in the world they come from. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now the snow has melted and ive had a morning off work i finally had time to take the car for a proper run. The sound is unreal. The combination of the Larini back box and the SSC Induction turn

A parcel from Australia has arrived for me at home today and it just so happens I have tomorrow booked off work anyway. Hmmm maybe my engine bay will be a little lighter and a little more noisy tomorr

As per a past post I think you do have some coincidental problems occurring. That said I can completely relate to when things go wrong with your pride and joy how frustrating things can get... So i've

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Dewarcraig said:

C'mon, you mean you've not got it fitted and tested out on your private test track yet??? We're all waiting here... :P Haha.

Just joking mate. I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on with it and hopefully no EML issues with it! Was was the total cost in the end anyway mate? 

Total cost was $580  Australian dollars in the end, so approximately £280.

I will probably get it fitted at the same time with the 2bular at Craig Moncrieff Cars in Edinburgh. That way I can make sure the AFR will be ok.

It does say when reading the instructions that after you have fitted the CAI let the car idle for ten minutes, so that the ECU can calibrate.      

3 hours ago, Fortis said:

Total cost was $580  Australian dollars in the end, so approximately £280.

Not so bad after all then mate. I'm excited to hear how you get on with it. 

1 hour ago, alias23 said:

You shouldn't get any EML lights

I mentioned that because I know that there have been several AFR problems with other Exige V6 air filters causing poor running and EML. Hopefully they were just teething problems and are all ironed out now though :)

A parcel from Australia has arrived for me at home today and it just so happens I have tomorrow booked off work anyway. Hmmm maybe my engine bay will be a little lighter and a little more noisy tomorrow.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Crouchy said:

A parcel from Australia has arrived for me at home today and it just so happens I have tomorrow booked off work anyway. Hmmm maybe my engine bay will be a little lighter and a little more noisy tomorrow.

Looks like you will have yours fitted before mine Crouchy. 

Let me know if you find it straight forward, as it looks like it should be from the instructions. :).

Just a quick note for those installing.

Make a note of your mileage on install, the HKS filters need to be replaced regularly circa every 4,500 miles to be safe.

Good luck with the installs it's pretty straight forward if you've got decent install guide.

You'll be surprised at how much of the original air box and piping there is... Literally a quarter of the engine bay seems to be free'd up!

If you bump into any problems and have questions send me a pm and I'll try and help.

• Like 1

www.alias23.com

29 minutes ago, alias23 said:

Good luck with the installs it's pretty straight forward if you've got decent install guide.

You'll be surprised at how much of the original air box and piping there is... Literally a quarter of the engine bay seems to be free'd up!

If you bump into any problems and have questions send me a pm and I'll try and help.

Alias23, have you had yours installed for a while then with no issues and no other associated mods (maps etc)? 

How have you found it noise/performance wise?

Had it installed now for about 2500 miles and no problems whatsoever... No mapping or any other 'bhp' mods.

Noise is improved massively! Performance wise I would say there is an improvement specifically to throttle response. It is a good upgrade!

www.alias23.com

Well I've spent an hour giving the induction kit a quick polish. A bit blingy for some but I can always scuff it back up if I don't like it.

now time to get outside and get it fitted.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Well induction kit fitted, test drive completed and cup of tea made, it's time to sit down for a reflect for a few minutes.

Before anyone else buys one of these please make sure you enjoy supercharger whine because the noise is LOUD. I thought the larini sounded loud but when pushing on its completely drowned out by the whine.

secondly don't bother polishing the induction pipe as it can really be seen once it's installed.

image.jpeg

The lotus air box is massive and complicated but as its all plastic it doesn't seem to weigh all that much. The ssc one does save a little weight though so probably still worth it.

Edited by Crouchy
  • Like 1

Only had time for a very quick test run and most of that was stuck behind traffic but it does seem to pick up a little quicker. It even seems to have lost some of the lag otherwise seen in touring mode. I might try and get out in it one night this week for a proper run.

• Like 1

Great job Crouchy, looks good :)

How long does it take to fit, and did you come across any problems whilst fitting ?

Trouble is after seeing your pictures, I will have to fit mine this weekend B-)   

• Like 1

Probably took about 1-1.5 hours in total. Ignore the bit in the instructions about removing a wheel and arch liner. I really dont see how it would help with anything. One bit that isnt in the instructions is that the smaller ribbed hose on the left side of the air box loops around other pipework in the engine so you must remove at least one end of the hose from the airbox. You also need to remove the larger hose in order to make air box removal easier.

On the whole it was pretty straight forward. If you have a spare couple of hours id just get it over and done with.

I also had an CAI on my Exige V6 , made it myselve with the same inner diameter than stock intake , also had an air diffuser before the MAF mounted , it worked fine for a few months (only a bit rough running during start up for 10 seconds) During start up it was running a bit lean (I have an A/F gauge mounted) but when driving A/F was perfect but after the latest ecu update at the dealer it was throwing a code (running lean) during start up,only difference between my intake and the SSC intake was that I had a BMC air filter.So I'm curious that the SSC intake will throw a code after a while....

PICT0498Large_zps47722a10.jpg

8 hours ago, alias23 said:

Had it installed now for about 2500 miles and no problems whatsoever... No mapping or any other 'bhp' mods.

Alias23 has had his fitted for 2500 miles so I'd guess that he should be able to comment on any rough running during that time? He does say earlier up that he hasn't had any issues though...

I should say that I had been chatting to dixie v6 as I knew that he had previously made one and encountered issues. These conversations were the basis of some of my earlier questions.

I guess there could be differences in -

SSC pipe I.D

Does the SSC have an inline flow straightener?

Some difference in the filter BMC Vs HKS flow characteristics with their different designs? Unlikely to cause issues I'd of thought...

A difference in straight lengths of pipe both before AND after the MAF? (Perhaps someone could measure theirs if convenient?)

As mentioned, not had any issues be it on the road or under track day driving. However I may not have had the ECU update dixie is referring to as my last service was circa May last year so if this is a 'new' ECU update thats come out since I haven't got that yet....

Would be good to get some dyno rolling road runs to check A/F. 

www.alias23.com

12 hours ago, dixie v6 said:

During start up it was running a bit lean (I have an A/F gauge mounted) but when driving A/F was perfect but after the latest ecu update at the dealer it was throwing a code (running lean) during start up,only difference between my intake and the SSC intake was that I had a BMC air filter.So I'm curious that the SSC intake will throw a code after a while....

Dixie can you share further info on you A/F gauge install, maybe a how to, pictures, lessons learnt... 

www.alias23.com

Well , you have to weld a bunch in the S pipe (piece just before the muffler) to mount the A/F sensor ,in my S pipe I have a 100 cell kat welded in because I have the Larini manifold without kats ,my air fuel gauge is the AEM one,no calibration needed with this one.It's best to mount the A/F sensor before the kats but it's not possible when you have stock kats,only difference is when you mount the sensor after the kats it reads A/F a bit leaner but not much (around 0.3 points leaner) . We made the same A/F setup in my friends car (Milton) and he has still stock kats,  A/F is the same as mine at idle and cruising but at full throttle his gauge shows around 10.5/1 and 10.1/1 and mine is around 10/1.

It's not a big job to remove the S pipe for welding the bunch for the sensor and you can stick the wiring for the gauge were the other wires come in at the end of the middle console (between the seats at the back).

20160113_142121%20Large_zps54qcgass.jpg

At the right you can see the A/F sensor.

PICT0589%20Large_zpsnerzc2zd.jpg