free hit
counters
CAI AND EXHAUST - Page 6 - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

52 minutes ago, French Frie said:

Dave, it was asked elsewhere, but did you already fit a EX370 kit (ie this airbox with an ECU tune), and what was your feeling about it ? Did you also just fit the KT airbox without ECU tuning on an Exige V6 ? I

I'm actually not sure we have fitted just the EX370 to a car, but we've fitted plenty as part of the 430 or 460 upgrade.

@ChrisBuer was scheduled to have it done recently, but has postponed for now due to time/money/etc.

You can fit the airbox without the remap, however on supercharged cars, the amount of extra air you will gain may cause it to run lean.  You could try it and test the AFR, which with us, would cost a couple of hours labour time, though you may then end up needing the map anyway. On the NA cars, you can get away with just the airbox and no remap.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now the snow has melted and ive had a morning off work i finally had time to take the car for a proper run. The sound is unreal. The combination of the Larini back box and the SSC Induction turn

A parcel from Australia has arrived for me at home today and it just so happens I have tomorrow booked off work anyway. Hmmm maybe my engine bay will be a little lighter and a little more noisy tomorr

As per a past post I think you do have some coincidental problems occurring. That said I can completely relate to when things go wrong with your pride and joy how frustrating things can get... So i've

Posted Images

Import duty invoice arrived today - £83.58!

The kit cost £275 with delivery charges, so £359 in total.

On 23 January 2016 at 11:47, Fortis said:

Just thought I would let you know that I have received this morning from TNT the import duty invoice. It has arrived a couple of weeks after delivery of the CAI kit, for the sum of £75.42.

Made up of £57.42 net non vatable, net vatable £15.00 and vat @20% £3.00 Total £75.42.

That is on top of the $495.00 Australian Dollars for the CAI kit.

Still far cheaper than the Lotus one. :) 

That's cheaper than mine - see above...

I paid $554AUD which included $59 delivery

Duty worked out as - £59.58 net non vatable, £20 net vatable and VAT @ 20%£4.00 = £83.58

'....it makes every other roadster look just a little bit cissy...'

Picking the car up this morning - it's been at Central Lotus all week having the new clutch fitted, and the guys have kindly fitted the induction kit (so easy when the clam's already off!) and the sports exhaust.

I think a few minor modifications were required to get the exhaust to fit.

Looking forward to a bit more noise...

• Like 1

Well.....what can I say.....apart from fookin' Hell!

The supercharger noise is fantastic - nice to have it back again.

Didn't get much of a chance to give it loads of welly, but I went to pick my daughter up (she didn't know I'd had anything done to the car) and even she was laughing at the noise and knew it was different.

Also can't believe how much plastic is involved with the standard air box!

The Lotus sports exhaust - quite different to the OE one, very deep and bassy, possibly a few less pops on the overrun, and made my ears tingle in the upper reaches of the rev range but happy overall.

Combined with the intake it works very well.

Finally, super service from Central Lotus - I think this was the first clutch change they've done on an Exige, but considering the guys work on the owners Evora race car and a Mosler, I'm envisaging all will be good.

• Like 2

Bit of an issue tonight....

Started the car and it was almost as if it was mis firing - prodded the accelerator and it stuttered into life.

Was fine afterwards.

I also don't think the throttle is as responsive as with the OE air box.

No dash lights or anything.

That doesn't sound right, as per previous comments i've never once had an issue, however I do let my car idle a little before I take the car out. When you say you don't think the throttle is not as responsive as the OE setup - Do you mean at this instance? Or since you swapped to the new intake?

I can honestly say when I moved to the new intake throttle response did improve.

www.alias23.com

This is the first time anything has happened since I picked the car up last Saturday.

Used it for a few hours last night, stopping and starting it, and everything was fine.

Could just be 'one of those things', so will see if it happens again.

I also noticed a quite loud 'backfire' on my travels tonight,  but that could just be the exhaust.

The throttle response - seems a little dull since the intake was fitted, just doesn't seem to rev as freely.

Was the car left to idle for 10 mins straight after fitting the new intake? Apparently this is a must for the ecu to calibrate to the new static airflow. 

If not or you're not sure (e.g. a garage fitted it) then it would be well worth resetting the ecu and trying this. 

• Like 1

Lotus dealer fitted it, so I assume they did as per instructions that came with the kit.

I've used the car almost everyday since picking it up on Saturday, and had no issues until now (apart from what I think is the slow throttle - but that may just be me..)

Would be worth resetting the ecu now?

How do I do that?

12 hours ago, Rancid said:

Lotus dealer fitted it, so I assume they did as per instructions that came with the kit.

I've used the car almost everyday since picking it up on Saturday, and had no issues until now (apart from what I think is the slow throttle - but that may just be me..)

Would be worth resetting the ecu now?

How do I do that?

If I remember rightly the only thing you need to do is start the car and leave it for 10 minutes at idle.

I think you can reset ecu buy by removing it from car and soaking in a bucket of oil overnight... only joking.. disconnect battery for few mins?

40 minutes ago, RedViper said:

I think you can reset ecu buy by removing it from car and soaking in a bucket of oil overnight...

As much as I like RedViper's suggestion, I'd consider a second opinion :lol:.

I've not reset the ecu on the Exige, but as stated above its usually a case of disconnecting the battery for more than 30 mins. Once you reconnect and turn on the Ignition for the first time there is usually a dial sweep as a systems check.

I'd suggest trying the reset and allowing it to idle for 10 mins, as there's nothing to lose and it may well resolve your issue :)

@Bibs pointed out previously (I think):

Before disconnecting the battery, allow the car to stand for at least 15 minutes after turning it off. This allows to ECU to download and save all of the previous settings etc. 

Thanks chaps, I'll have a go at the weekend.

Seems a bit strange though, that it's only done this once after several days of driving and being ok.

now to go and buy some Gunk-Off to get this oil out of the ecu...

2 hours ago, Rancid said:

Thanks chaps, I'll have a go at the weekend.

Seems a bit strange though, that it's only done this once after several days of driving and being ok.

now to go and buy some Gunk-Off to get this oil out of the ecu...

Ha ha :ermm:

4 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

@Bibs pointed out previously (I think):

Before disconnecting the battery, allow the car to stand for at least 15 minutes after turning it off. This allows to ECU to download and save all of the previous settings etc. 

:thumbup:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've reset the ECU and although the issue isn't as prevalent, it still there on cold start ups sometimes.

Fine on a hot start.

Also, could the slow throttle response possibly be due to where the filter has been fitted - if you look at the pic you can see it actually sits slightly below the side air scoop.

Would it be better positioned directly on top of the air scoop?

(Pic is on its side)

image.jpeg

Mines just held in place by the supplied black bracket and jubilee clip -

Looks like I could easily slide the black bracket up the rear stay bar to lift the filter above the side intake.

image.jpeg

I know it's a major hassle but have you thought of returning to standard and testing if you still have the same problems and if throttle response improves....

What's that wire on the stay bar?

www.alias23.com

6 minutes ago, alias23 said:

I know it's a major hassle but have you thought of returning to standard and testing if you still have the same problems and if throttle response improves....

I had thought about doing that.... but just not sure I could do it....

Its a pain in the arse.

My thinking is, that as its only really getting direct air to half the filter area, that as its positioned quite low it's also suffering from a bit of heat soak?

Think I'll first just try and position it better, and see if it makes any difference.

Will crack on with it, it's a nice evening..