free hit
counters
A day in the life of hunting for another Evora that fits the bill. - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

A day in the life of hunting for another Evora that fits the bill.

Colin G

A.M.

Alarm goes off. Scratch bits, stretch, then grab iPad from bedside to check that no insomniac Evora owners have listed their cars for sale during the night while I've been asleep. No.

7.45 A.M.

land at my desk at work and do the second daily run down of searches, because surely there's been another car listed in the twenty minutes since I left the house, right? Pistonheads, no. Auto trader, no. The lotus forums, no. eBay, no. All main dealers, no. Bugger.

8.00 A.M.

Get started on the day's work while wondering who I can pester to see if they have any new leads when I stop for breakfast. Brandon at Murrays maybe? Jamie at B&C has had a couple of leads, maybe he's found another......

10.00 A.M.

Breakfast time, let the pestering begin, I've got thirty minutes to be a nuisance here. Emails sent, daily check number three carried out. Why are there no new ****ing cars for sale, you would think these things were brilliant fun to drive and the owners wanted to keep them or something. Oh, wait, that might actually be it. Damn Lotus and their brand loyal customers, DAMN THEM ALL TO HELL!

1.00 P.M.

Dinner time! Search four of the day. There's a new car on Pistonheads, THERE'S A ****ING NEW CAR ON PISTONHEADS!!!!! YEEEEEEEESSSSS!!!! Oh no, wait, one of the dealerships has just bumped one of their old ads back to the top. This car does not fit the bill. Sky darkens, thunder rolls, it starts pissing down. Perfect.

5.00 P.M.

Time to get the hell out of here, but let's just squeeze one quick search in before the short drive, only to then follow it up with yet another as soon as I reach my destination. Christ knows if a car appears I'm going to be all over it. No new cars. Proceed to smash head repeatedly against steering wheel.

6.00 P.M. Until loss of consciousness

Have every site I've checked multiple times today already in open tabs, along with the big main dealers in case they sneakily put a car on their own site first. Yeah, you know who you are, but I'm on to you. Proceed to refresh every tab on at least fifteen minute intervals like some OCD psychopath.

Inbetween the times stated above, make sure you never go for a shite or sit in a boring meeting without having your phone at hand, just in case. 

When you wake up next day..............start it all again.

:D

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

:lol: welcome to the past 12 months of my life. Thankfully I've now bought one so have gradually weaned myself off the classifieds. I'm going to save hours of my life which I'll now spend on the car itself. :)

yup.......sounds about right.......took me about 8 months.......and ended up making a compromise with the gearbox and colour.....

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

When I bought my first Evora I walked in to Murrays, took it for a test drive, bought and paid for it three hours later. It was the first one I'd ever driven. :D

Having very specific wants this time makes it a bit tougher!

yup.......sounds about right.......took me about 8 months.......and ended up making a compromise with the gearbox and colour.....

Ditto, for me the compromise was charcoal interior instead of oyster and about 10k miles more on the clock.

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

When I bought my first Evora I walked in to Murrays, took it for a test drive, bought and paid for it three hours later. It was the first one I'd ever driven. :D

Having very specific wants this time makes it a bit tougher!

What are you looking for Colin? Am about to sign for a new 400 and part ex mine (63 plate Sports Racer S manual with 13K miles)

• Gold FFM

Good post, made me smile!

Plan B = give your requirements to every dealer in the UK, enjoy driving your Elise for 6 months until a dealer calls you about the car that meets your spec, swap Elise for Evora ;)

The good news is the rarity and strong interest in used Evoras means the depreciation is tiny.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Good post, made me smile!

Plan B = give your requirements to every dealer in the UK, enjoy driving your Elise for 6 months until a dealer calls you about the car that meets your spec, swap Elise for Evora ;)

The good news is the rarity and strong interest in used Evoras means the depreciation is tiny.

And yet som cars just always seem t be on sale for ever. Buyers too picky?

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

I wonder whether the great press for the 400 has re-kindled interest in the 'Mk1'? A late model Evora S Sports Racer at about £50k is now looking like a bargain!

I don't think you'll end up being far wide of the mark there. I suspect come next summer nice, late 'classic" Evora's will be highly sought after.

Not that they aren't already! Ha!

• Gold FFM

And yet som cars just always seem t be on sale for ever. Buyers too picky?

When I was looking it was usually ones without Tech Pack and that were hanging around.  I've not been following the used market recently so don't know if there's any common theme at the moment?

• Gold FFM

When I was looking it was usually ones without Tech Pack and that were hanging around.  I've not been following the used market recently so don't know if there's any common theme at the moment?

Funny when I bought mine it had been available at Murray's for a wee while. It was a 2010 NA, with Sports Pack, CR Gearbox and the Lotus Sports exhaust, a decat, and the much needed rear parking sensors, but no Tech Pack or Premium Pack. Ardent Red so a nice colour choice. So mechanically and colour wise, for me, this was a good, if not, ideal spec. With it being red and a 2+0 and on the shelf for a while - I wondered if it was the ginger haired step child of the family that no-one wanted to own up to having! (no offence to any red heads out their, just figuratively speaking :) )

I think what held it back from selling was the lack of "packs" and the fact it was a 2+0. Once I'd bought it (I just needed to drive it 5 miles and the deal was done - 5 days from realising Lotus had made the Evora, seeing the ad in MMC, and then test driving the car!)

I had a few people on the forum saying they had been looking at that same car, thinking about that car, test drove the car, and where then sorry they missed that car! Why did you wait so long? I'm bloody glad you did by the way, and please accept my heartfelt thanks!

If I am honest, there seems to be a common theme here with a lot of people saying they want an Evora, saying they are looking for an Evora, doing research and asking an awful lot of questions about an Evora, and then not pulling the trigger for one reason or another. But then, I did pull the trigger and bought one. I don't want to sound smug / contrite but motoring wise it is, without a doubt, the best thing I have ever done!  

I get to smile every time I open the garage, get ecstatic every time I am behind the wheel, etc.  Would I have preferred a different spec, probably, but then by being picky I would have missed out on 4,000 miles of pure motoring joy over the summer. Bear in mind I paid £31k, for a 15k mile 2010 NA, MMC supplied (to all previous owners) and an MMC fully serviced car, so it's provenance was good. I thought this was, and still do think it is, a bloody motoring bargain!

However, for me, in some ways it was the perfect car - grown up kids so no need for the +2 seats and I would never dream of asking an adult to get in the back (I know it can be done, that is not the point here). Much cheaper to insure and run (fuel, tyres and RFL) then an S. Stonkingly fast on real roads, and lots of possibilities to improve and make it just so, for me. My good friend has an Aston Martin Vanquish (a thing or motoring beauty) and was a long term TVR owner and fan. He got in my Evora (bear in mind a pre MY11 face lift so not as good quality apparently! and no premium pack) and just raved about the quality and feel of the interior and the driving position - I took that as high praise indeed.

So as well as having a great car to drive, I also started on an ownership journey that has become an all consuming hobby and obsession.

Since I've owned it, I've uprated the single din stereo to a double din, 7" screen with satnav, DAB, Bluetooth etc and the reversing camera. I also got MMC to add cruise control. So essentially, it is now better equipped than a Tech Pack car as the head unit I chose is way ahead of what Lotus where fitting.

I've added Lotus barge boards, and had the Sports Racer part look done - front lip and sides and refurbed the wheels to gloss black. The car looks great.

I've bought a new steel/alloy gear lever. Really feels nice to use. And, I have on order the front splitter from Thomas.

I've researched performance mods to death and have my little list of things to do - new headers and sports cat from 2bular to go with the Lotus Sports Titanium exhaust. K&N Filter, the "S" clutch and the lightened flywheel and an ECU map from EA. Should see around 320bhp there!  Wow...

I've researched options for a retrim and this in the planning stage now. It will most likely be done  by "Dave the Trimmer", whom I met over the summer to discuss options with etc, and will include leather, alcantara and the addition of the armrest. So better than Premium Pack? Possibly.

All in all, I will probably have spent somehwere in the region of £8k extra to get the car just so. £38k - £40k in total then. Still a relative motoring bargain and she will look a million dollars and will feel, go, and smell like a new car. I even got the four new tyres from the Lotus Motrosport Auctions for £320, waiting to be fitted for the new year of motoring. Another Lotus bargain!

The point of this post is not to make myself feel good, or smug. It is to encourage you guys and gals out there, who know you want one, to bite the bullet, pull the trigger, put your running shoes on and get to the finish line, and get yourself in an Evora! There are not many out there. A couple less every year, and with a very low production run they will be a limited availability modern classic in no time at all. Just look at cars like the NSX, who sold in greater numbers.

Whenever you do it, I am sure the car you buy will not be the car you end up with. You will fettle it. You will upgrade it. But most of all, pre-MY11 facelift or not, NA or S, IPS or manual, you will, I absolutely guarantee you, get the hairs on the back of your neck standing to attention when you go out to the car. The hairs in your ears will vibrate with pleasure when you turn the engine on, and your heart will flutter when you pull away.

Go on, just do it. Life's too short to wait any longer. The cars are a steal right now, motoring bargain of the decade. 

The fun is the chase they say. Well, as some of us know, you get more fun once you've caught what you were chasing...

All the best with whatever you buy. Just make sure you do, buy one!

Edited by C8RKH
  • Like 2

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

• Gold FFM

Yes it does - and that's a £200 retrofit that is on the list of things to do, as it is actually quite a useful little gizmo.

Once that is done, better than Tech Pack!  :fish:

But you do highlight a good point Bravo, in that if the car that's available does not have the toys you want, they are available to retrofit anyway, and sometimes, like with the head units and reversing camera's, at a better or higher quality than standard.

[pedant] The Tech Pack also includes TPMS. [/pedant]

;)

and rear parking sensors, uprated speakers plus subwoofer, plus homelink kit and optional reversing camera. (Pedant off). Apart from that love what you're saying C8RKH :thumbup: and remember me when you take the decat pipe off ;)

• Gold FFM

Already have the parking sensors Jaws, even mentioned them in my post :devil: My reversing camera isn't optional, it's already there and working too!

As for homelink, I have a little gizmo on my keyring that opens my garage door just fine as I roar up the drive thanks.

Can't think why you would want uprated speakers and a subwoofer in the Evora - just adds weight you know, and with the right exhaust, decat etc why the hell would you to listen to the crap ICE system that Lotus installed for you anyway?  Weired.....

Will certainly give you a PM once the decat is off, it will need a new home.  :secret:

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Just seen this:

http://www.snowsgroup.co.uk/lotus/used-cars/2665638-lotus-evora-v6-s-2-sports-racer-v6-vvt-i/

Damn - beautiful. Arghhhhh. Now there's a quandary and £23k less (before haggling further) than a 400. Ooooh, tough decision not to get my bum down there. That chrome orange looks wonderful.

But then, still almost twice the price of my car....  Hmmm, stick with the Ardent Red NA I think, but a tough call indeed.....

I had a stunning retrim done by Transcal on my old S if you'd be interested in pics?

I would love to see the pics, but I did try to get Transcal interested but they did not reply to a single email I sent them, and when I called them and spoke to someone twice, she promised someone would call me back to discuss and no-one ever did. Kind of put me off them to be honest.

Their work is absolutely top notch is all I can say, everyone who saw these seats absolutely loved them -

P1000971_zpsyuargk6y.jpg

P1000975_zpsucrrs9ko.jpg

I only had the fronts done, but when I sold the car the buyer had the rear seat done too.

Oh, and in other news, I think I might now have first refusal on two incoming Evora S IPS cars!!!! 

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

They look fantastic Colin, really cool and classy. I might give them another try, though to be honest, they did massively piss me off by not responding to me last time at all, so I might need some persuading.