free hit
counters
111R Noise Increase - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

I have a stock elise s2, 111R with the toyota vvti engine. Absolutely love the car but looking to get a bit more sound from it. Whats everyones suggestions? Intake system, exhaust, decat? Dont have that big of a budget for this so hoping to the work myself. Also new to the forum and couldnt find a similar feed but sure there is so links would be helpful too. 

Ryan

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lotus stage 2 sounds amazing, I had stage 1 and it was never annoying but also not that different from stock. 111r with a pipe is one of the best sounding 4cyl engines you will hear, really worth doing. I bought a quicksilver titanium pipe for mine I wanted a bit more than stage 1. It sounded immense after the cam switch but quite noisy when not in the mood. Need to find a home for it actually, barely used but won't be cheap, was expensive new as you might imagine.

most rate 2bular but Jim can be hard to get hold of and some of the larger silencers can be subtle in terms of noise improvement.

Heard that the stage 2 actually decreases the power of a stock toyota VVTi, and that you should only use a stage 2 once SC? 

Like the look of the hangar111 twin signature but not sure if I should just get the cat-back or go full system? 

Full system with decats or sports cats will show more of a power gain but will need remapping for best results, it's a much bigger financial commitment. If you want to spend that much then I guess go ahead. The only concern will be how it sounds on a motorway cruise afterwards. The race systems don't care about things like cruising at 70mph on a motorway so I would think it's likely that you'll have some boom and resonance to deal with. On some systems that comes right at your road cruising speed so for a long journey you might regret it. Short journeys will be huge fun though! I've been out in a few stage 2 pipes and they didn't feel any slower, they are also much lighter than the stock system so not convinced perfomance is less with a stage 2. In terms of sound quality they are one of the best.

Heard that the stage 2 actually decreases the power of a stock toyota VVTi, and that you should only use a stage 2 once SC? 

Like the look of the hangar111 twin signature but not sure if I should just get the cat-back or go full system? 

The stage 2 is for a NA car as you have & not recommended for the SC car...... equivalent for the SC is what is known as the stage 3

Also I'd agree with The Pits stage 2 sounds great on a 111R

Stg2 has a 5"diameter silencer - very small IMO for a mid-engine exhaust. If they're still using mild-steel for the hanger rods/brackets - that's not a good idea for an exhaust in this country. Most after-market systems use the wrong bore. So you'll lose power/torque. Drone is guaranteed with poor quality packing materials

Best exhaust sound I ever heard was from our 6"diameter system on the 111R. If you track the car, you'll need a 7"diameter silencer (quieter). For Bedford, you'll probably need an 8"diameter silencer.