free hit
counters
Waterpump and timing belt - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Waterpump and timing belt

• Gold FFM

My plan for the weekend: to fix the slight leak in the area of the waterpump. And while I'm at it, I'll do the timing and V belts as well and change the camsprockets for the green dot 104° ones. I really wasn't planning on this until winter, preferably after I have a workshop again. But the leak I noticed the last few weeks and the screeching belt that it causes is forcing my hand. It wont be as easy as I'm used to, having to work in a normal garage without a lift. But plenty of you have proven it can be done, and I should remember most of the procedure from when I did the last one, though that was a very easy job with the engine conveniently sitting on a table.

What worries me most is that I can't pinpoint the leak. The weeping hole in the pump is try and all the hoses seem tight, but there is definitely something allowing coolant to drip on the pulley and belts. After which it ends up all over the place, making diagnosis far from easy. I just hope it's not a tear in a hose, 'cause that would mean I'll have to wait for the parts, and I'd really like to get Emma back on the road as soon as possible.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Check the hose that runs horizontally between the back of the water pump and the inlet manifold. A leak at the water pump end will cause the mess you describe.

Filip, depending on what you find, you could try one of these cameras which I found invaluable when tracing a leak in the pump area after I refitted my engine. It can be taped to a wire coat-hanger, and has LED lights to illuminate the area. This isn't the one I bought, but there are loads of them on ebay. Might be useful for inspecting all kinds of hard to see places.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7mm-6-LED-USB-Endoscope-Borescope-Waterproof-Inspection-Tube-Video-Camera-5M-10M-/191510843107?var=&hash=item2c96ef8ee3:m:mWILmVCHuFeHyF_tZW_RPUQ

Margate Exotics.

You indicate "weeping hole", just noting, I think from memory there are two, one top and one bottom.

I can only suggest using tissue paper to get it dry and the small pieces of fresh tissue placed in various locations to try and track it down, unless you ave access to a compressor and cooling system tester which can pressurise the system when cold.

• Gold FFM

Relaxing with a quality Belgian beer, after a productive evening working on the Esprit.

Put the car on stands, took out the boot floor for access to the timing marks on the flywheel (found the rubber thingy is missing...) and removed the alternator etc for access. The belts are also off and the sprockets removed (and the exhaust replaced 'cause it's not in the way). I also pressurised the cooling system, but still couldn't find any leaks. But there are traces of dried up coolant all over the front, so there definitely is something wrong. I did only check the bottom weeping hole, not knowing there was another on top. Thanks for the tip Andy! I'll have a close look tomorrow, before I start taking off all the hoses. I hope I'll find something, I'd hate to have to put everything back together not knowing if I fixed the leak...

Ian, also a good tip! A friend of mine has one of those cameras, I'll ask to borrow it.

Greetz,

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Check the hose that runs horizontally between the back of the water pump and the inlet manifold. A leak at the water pump end will cause the mess you describe.

• Like 1

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages

• Gold FFM

Thanks, just about to start work again. I'll check that hose first, should be easy enough once the thermostat is of.

Agree with Sanj, I had the symptoms you describe which looked like coolant coming out of the tell-tale hole, but in fact I found it the S-shaped pipe that I'd renewed that needed nipping up on the clips. And I also had coolant leaking down by the right hand engine mounting, coming from the same pipe.

I also used a coolant system tester, which pressurises the system via the header tank cap, and shows leakdown on the gauge. It's handy for pressurising-up, then going around with a lamp to see if anything is leaking.

Margate Exotics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

An update is due: we got the pump and belt + sprockets changed over the weekend as planned. Rebuilding the pump took a lot more time and effort than we expected. I was very lucky to get a good friend to lend a hand. The car fired right up, temperature rose as expected and after a bit of learning the idle was very stable. I didn't get round to do a proper testdrive unfortunately, it was dark and raining when we were done and I still had to clean the garage. Last weekend was spent in England (with the Range Rover + trailer), so today will be the first chance I get to take her for a spin. :-)