free hit
counters
Paint protection film thread - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Paint protection film thread

Can we have a single thread, maybe pinned, discussing:

- What ppf product people have used - From where

- How much they paid 

- What areas of the car they had protected 

This for me and I assume others would be useful? 

Stu

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I think it's a good idea.

I have Paintshield's XPEL Ultimate on my V6 Cup. It cost £1100 for an extended front nose protection plus extra bits to protect the wheel arches from chips (the V6 Cups don't have mudguards). It has kept the vast majority of the stone chips out but not every single one so I do consider it expensive and don't really see the advantage over having the nose resprayed. The fit, finish and clarity of the film is very good though and there is a 4 year warranty against the film failing but like everything else is invalidated by track use.

• Like 1

What are the vulnerable areas that need protection on the evora? 

- front bumper

- front wings

- wing mirrors

- full bonnet

- full roof

- side skirts 

- panel in front of rear wheels?

- panel behind front wheel?

- spoiler? 

Stuart, I'm not too far away from you (Woodbridge) if you want to take a good look on the "normal" areas to be covered & how visible the lines are

Bibs - lol. Most don't seem to bother with the boot but a lot seem to protect the spoiler. 

Paul - thanks for the offer. I am off on holiday soon until the middle of November but may take you up on it. I am xpel and suntec ppf which both wrap around edges so don't leave lines for dirt and polish to build up around. 

Jbs - there are but one you read up they are quickly discarded along with others due to visible lines, poor protection quality, finished look of the film etc.

paul - I'll be in touch when I get back ?

Below is a quote I have had for  supply and fit of suntec or xpel ppf from a company called 'mint condition' in Essex.

Bumper                   £360    to include full front bumper
Hood pack (full)     £840    to include full upper clam, lights, mirrors, 'A'pillars and panel behind front wheel
Roof                        £480    to include full roof panel.
Sills into arches     £420    to include full side sill going into rear arch (panel infront of rear wheel)
es     £420    to include full side sill going into rear arch (panel infront of rear wheel)

• Gold FFM

Wow - I'm going to continue to drive the arse off my Evora and from time to time, as needed, get the nose, bonnet and arches resprayed. You're looking at £2500+ there, I've been quoted that for a full body respray including colour change.  Just Wow!

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

• Gold FFM

That works out to just over $5k AUD. Why do I get quoted for a respray of $10k for just a respray of Calypso Red? Not even a metallic paint which is harder to do.

Ami I driving the wrong car?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

Not driving the wrong car, just living in the wrong place ;)

In the UK, the quotes could be anywhere from £1000 (two kids and a bag of spray paint cans) to £10k+ (professional restorers with swanky premises etc). Mine was a local guy, good reputation, small business, mate, etc. Hence a "reasonable" £2.5k.  Another well known and respected bodyshop, wanted nearer £4k.

Edited by C8RKH

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

Wow - I'm going to continue to drive the arse off my Evora and from time to time, as needed, get the nose, bonnet and arches resprayed. You're looking at £2500+ there, I've been quoted that for a full body respray including colour change.  Just Wow!

I think I am slowly reaching this conclusion. It all depends on how anal you are about your car. As the self healing wrap will mean no paint swirl, no chips, no scratches, no bug or bird mess that can't be removed etc etc 

• Gold FFM

I'd just do the nose of the car if my S4 is anything to go by. Depends on how particular you are about it.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

As posted in the interior/exterior etc sub-forum I had the following 3M Venturshield film templated and applied to the GTE:

Entire front bumper assembly (inc. c/f splitter)

Bonnet up to c/f vents

Headlamps and washers

Wing mirrors

C/f vents

Cross piece between c/f vents and windscreen

Leading edges of front wings (up to about back of headlamps)

Entire c/f sills (barge boards) inc. undersides

Lower rear wing panels ahead of rear wheels

Edges of rear wheel arches (approx. 1" wide)

Horizontal sections behind rear wheels

Leading and trailing edges of c/f rear wing

Since it was the first GTE to be templated, the guy gave me a special deal: the whole lot cost GBP 699 inc. fitting and VAT

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

The £670 sounds reasonable. Stu, a word if I may, a lot of what you are asking / seeking clarification on is explained by previous posters (and often covered at length in other posts available by search) - please read the responses fully and no need to re-quote. Cheers.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Just get some clear contact from Woolies.

Job's right. :thumbsup:

• Gold FFM

Wrap it in 100% genuine Duck tape. It'll stop any leaks from seals and panel gaps too. Wonderful stuff.