free hit
counters
Jobs to do with dashboard out - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Jobs to do with dashboard out

Well, that is a job I do not want to do again in a hurry.  Every bit of magnolia is now out and in varying stages of rejuvenation.

Here's my list of things to do before it all goes back in:

-replace the black leather just below the windscreen, where it is peeling off.

-replace/clean up the rusty metal air vent thingy; not sure how those screws are coming out at that angle against the screen though 

-electric aerial fix or replace. 

-tidy up the cables

-air con: replace expansion valve and o-rings. My aircon hasn't worked in my ownership and i'd be amazed if you could access these bits with the dash in place?

That'll keep me busy enough but anything else worth doing while i can access it?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well timed thread! I'm at exactly the same stage!

On my list too are:

check all vac pipes for heater

check heater hoses

replace steering rack (hopefully much better access to the UJs)

new speakers, head unit, USB port in glovebox

check wiper spindle etc

general scan of all wiring and connections

re-bush (I think) drivers door hinge whilst better access to bolts

Probably other stuff too that I haven't thought of yet...

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

To do the vent screws get a screwdriver bit for a drill and a small ring spanner to fit the hex end of the screwdriver bit. Finger over the end and undo slowly.     Strip out and tidy any spare loom cabling that you don't need but is in their.  Fit a new supply from the bottom of the drivers A pillar to run any new imobilizer/radio/ 12v power points in the glovebox etc.  The big earth point is on the l/h pillar base.   Anything to do with the pedal box, heater matrix or steering ujs.

Atwell is of course correct, but it can be done without removal:

c/o Slewthy:

ive seen the result, and it was spot on. Shame the pics have disappeared, but the text describes it well. Cushing also has some info on his procedure I think

Dave

Great! I have this to replace on mine too so I'll be studying the procedure carefully...

Under dash discoveries so far include:

At least 3m of unused aftermarket wiring, some cut off at both ends and just left there. Who knows what that was for!

Cheapo manual aerial where I should have an electric one. Explains why it doesn't go up at least.

1 broken vac hose (maybe I broke it getting the glovebox out) :blush:

Also my cabin will be larger when I've finished as the PO put most of the new carpets in over the old ones. 

At least it'll be lighter too when I'm finished!

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

Spooky; another Neil pulling his Esprit apart, who has also found loads of superfluous stereo wiring this afternoon!  If you need a new electric aerial I believe Esprit Engineering have some that will fit.

Thanks for the screwdriver bit tip Malcolm, I have a little 90 degree ratchet driver which takes those bits, but even that was too big in that space.  Managed to get it out though, that rusty vent has been bugging me for three years now, gonna get it powder coated.

The screen landing task is bothering me as I think the Stevens screen is very slightly curved, unlike Slewthy's G-car, and the sealant seems to be a bit uneven at the base (possibly not the original screen).  I think a lot of test fitting with a roll of vinyl I have lying around will be the way forward, then look for some suitable leather.

9 hours ago, DaveyT said:

Atwell is of course correct, but it can be done without removal:

c/o Slewthy:

ive seen the result, and it was spot on. Shame the pics have disappeared, but the text describes it well. Cushing also has some info on his procedure I think

Dave

Pics fixed :)

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.