free hit
counters
exhaust valve switch - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content


Recommended Posts

hi everybody, 

I don't have the race pack on my Roadster, and I can't say I miss it, BUT I'd love to have the little switch on the steering column to alternatively switch the exhaust valve, either to be closed when in Sport mode, or to be opened, even if I'm in Touring mode (did I understand it correctly ? )... I found a thread talking about this switch, and it seems that it's only a matter of adding the button to the steering cowl... is it true, and has someone here made the fitting ? 

if not, what is the vaccum hose to pinch in order to let the valve always opened ?  I don't want a louder exhaust, but love the on mode note !

Link to post
Share on other sites

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes if you remove and bung the vacuum hose it will be in loud mode constantly. I have done this to mine and I believe a few others have too.

Yes, just remember to plug both ends.

A very cheap and simple oldschool solution: buy such a switch, cut the red hose and plug it in between. Now you can choose the exhaust to be open all the time or to be controlled by the ECU/driving mo

Posted Images

When I bought my Roadster I asked about the over-ride switch and was told by my dealer that it wasn't possible. There was some technical reason which i can't remember now!

Having lived with the car for a year, I wouldn't bother anyway. The valve opens already above about 4.5kprm or on wide throttle openings. If you turn the DPM switch to off it also permanently opens the valve and I find in this mode it's too loud for just cruising along, and it opens anyway if you're giving it some stick.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 11 months later...

as I'm about to get a KT exhaust box, I dare to ask again : is there a way to retrofit the over-ride switch for the valve ? I assume there's not a specific wiring for cars that have this option, so it may be added ... I also assume this button acts on the valve solenoid  ?  thanks !

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, French Frie said:

as I'm about to get a KT exhaust box, I dare to ask again : is there a way to retrofit the over-ride switch for the valve ? I assume there's not a specific wiring for cars that have this option, so it may be added ... I also assume this button acts on the valve solenoid  ?  thanks !

If having it open is your main aim you could always stick a fish tank bubble tube valve in the line to the solenoid, or even cruder just detach it and bung the pipe. its fail safe so if you lose vacuum (by closing valve) it will be open :)

Komotec have also got a wiring mod to achieve fully open / fully shut 100% of time for track use but not sure whether lack of race mode would prevent that working. Give KT or H111 a call I always found them more than helpful

Edited by RedViper
Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks Chris for your answer, but I want to keep the valve working, but want to be able to override it, regardless of the DPM mode ... I always drive in the IPS Manual mode, which is only permanent in the DPM "Sport" mode (in Touring, you can switch in manual by pulling the + paddle, but it will come back to Auto within few seconds of inaction),  so I want to sometimes change the valve mode regardless of the DPM mode or the Rpms ...  I can't think that the wiring is not there (and Bibs thought the same too). I also assume the KT system relies on the stock system (ie vaccum system and override switch if fitted) , but I'll ask to KT indeed...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, French Frie said:

thanks Chris for your answer, but I want to keep the valve working, but want to be able to override it, regardless of the DPM mode ... I always drive in the IPS Manual mode, which is only permanent in the DPM "Sport" mode (in Touring, you can switch in manual by pulling the + paddle, but it will come back to Auto within few seconds of inaction),  so I want to sometimes change the valve mode regardless of the DPM mode or the Rpms ...  I can't think that the wiring is not there (and Bibs thought the same too). I also assume the KT system relies on the stock system (ie vaccum system and override switch if fitted) , but I'll ask to KT indeed...

Im sure they will be able to sort.

http://www.hangar111.com/lotus/v6-exhaust-noise-overridden/

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the exhaust valve supposed to stay open at all revs in Sport mode?

I've got a KT fitted, and when cold and at tickover can hear the valve work when I switch between sport and tour mode, but after a few minutes can't then hear the valve.

Also when in Sport, when I press the valve over ride button it doesn't seem to do anything (when stationary)

'....it makes every other roadster look just a little bit cissy...'

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/10/2016 at 08:57, French Frie said:

great find Chris :animier: ! just wait now for Dave from @Hangar 111 to pop up in this discussion :whistle: ...

It's fairly simple, we ran an additional wire through from a toggle switch in the cockpit to the existing solenoid valve in the engine bay.  This allows you to lock out the valve in one position or the other.

On 21/10/2016 at 19:23, Rancid said:

Is the exhaust valve supposed to stay open at all revs in Sport mode?

I've got a KT fitted, and when cold and at tickover can hear the valve work when I switch between sport and tour mode, but after a few minutes can't then hear the valve.

Also when in Sport, when I press the valve over ride button it doesn't seem to do anything (when stationary)

Exhaust valve should be open all the time in sport mode.  As you say, you can hear it switch at idle.

Dave

Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks, Dave... but then, what is the difference vs the OEM button :ph34r: ? I do not know how this one works, but I assume it also override the solenoid command ... 

or maybe a remote relay, with a RF command, can be added to over-ride the solenoid, like this one : https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/Universal-DC-12-V-10A-Relais-1CH-Sans-Fil-RF-mini-T-l-commande-Interrupteur-metteur/32686410939.html

Edited by French Frie
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, French Frie said:

thanks, Dave... but then, what is the difference vs the OEM button :ph34r: ? I do not know how this one works, but I assume it also override the solenoid command ... 

or maybe a remote relay, with a RF command, can be added to over-ride the solenoid, like this one : https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/Universal-DC-12-V-10A-Relais-1CH-Sans-Fil-RF-mini-T-l-commande-Interrupteur-metteur/32686410939.html

The OEM button asks the ECU to do it.

Dave

Edited by Hangar 111
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Hangar 111 said:

Exhaust valve should be open all the time in sport mode.  As you say, you can hear it switch at idle.

Sorry to correct, but in Sport mode, the valve is open at idle, then closed until 2500/3000 rpm, then open... it's only in race and off modes that it is kept open.

 

 

Capture d'écran 2016-10-24 10.37.55.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Just to add to this...

Having been out in the car today with the windows down, in Sport mode when changing down to 2nd to go round some slower corners I could hear the valve opening/ closing, so it doesn't stay open all the time in Sport.

What I'd like is for it to sound as good as it does in Race mode, but obviously don't want to drive around with everything off..(love the higher idle rpm in Race though)

Would pulling the vacuum pipe off (and bunging it up) be the way to do it?

'....it makes every other roadster look just a little bit cissy...'

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Same problem: I have an Exige S with the OEM exhaust but without the aditional Lotus Race Pack.

I don't want and don't miss the Racepack but without I have no button to open the exhaust permanently:

1. At Tour mode the exhaust is closed most of the time,

2. At Sport mode it only opens at around 4500 rpm and

3. I don't wanna drive the Exige with everything-Off

Is the offer from Hangar111 a solution for me ? Can't find it on your website ? 

As far as I know the cables for the Switch are in every car, but the Lotus switch works with the ECU and Lotus won't let us or KomoTec unlock this function.

Edited by ArthouseCompany
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
On 05/11/2016 at 17:05, Crouchy said:

Yes if you remove and bung the vacuum hose it will be in loud mode constantly. I have done this to mine and I believe a few others have too.

Is it ok to pull the hose off the solenoid that's attached to the air box rather than at the exhaust end?

Engine bay is far more accessible than the exhaust valve...

'....it makes every other roadster look just a little bit cissy...'

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Rancid said:

Is it ok to pull the hose off the solenoid that's attached to the air box rather than at the exhaust end?

Engine bay is far more accessible than the exhaust valve...

Yes, just remember to plug both ends.

  • Like 1

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 6 months later...

A very cheap and simple oldschool solution: buy such a switch, cut the red hose and plug it in between. Now you can choose the exhaust to be open all the time or to be controlled by the ECU/driving modes:

 

it's a two way metal valve for fish tanks, size 4/6:

IMG_6534.JPG

IMG_6535.JPG

Edited by ArthouseCompany
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

If fitting a switch near the controls, try and get it in a more handy place than under the steering console as if its like  race packed Exige, in race mode the valve can stay shut at up to 5700 for short bursts and if you could get at it easily with both hands on the wheel it could help when passing sound monitors at tracks.

Martin S

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...