free hit
counters
1978 Elite timing belt replacement - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

1978 Elite timing belt replacement

Hi Everyone,

The timing belt of my 1987 Esprit S3  turbo HCI was recently replaced and the guy who did it without pulling the engine out told me it had been quite a difficult job.

I am now considering replacing my 1978 Elite 503's timing belt.

How long do you think it takes to do this job and does it involve removing the bonnet, etc, pls ?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

From what I have picked up :

Does your 503 still have A/C? I believe this makes things trickier?

I would always suggest removal of Bonnet as it helps with access and I don't think it is a massive job, plus out of harms way!

Otherwise, other things might come into play like condition of cam sprockets and tensioner - do these need doing as well? removal of guard (if fitted).

I've yet to do this and it will be a very early task so any feedback will be received with interest.

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

I've never done one on an esprit, but I can believe that it is a right pain given the limited access.

On the front engined car it is a relatively straightforward job if you follow the steps in the manual and if you are happy setting tension with the "twist test". A burrows gague is specified in the manual - I have never used one - just a twist of the belt to ensure its tight.

You might want to do the water pump whilst you are in?

Reading the Esprit forums makes me think that I've been lucky so far since, apart from a very big headache due to a capricious RPM relay and a worn gearbox shaft

I've driven more than  60.000 miles so far without almost any problem.

I hope I will be as Lucky with the Elite...