free hit
counters
Update on my 83 Turbo Esprit - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Update on my 83 Turbo Esprit

Hi all,

Well my daughter named her Penelope and I added Pitstop after a US cartoon series. So Penelope Pitstop has been under serious revisions. I maintain a blog on another site with pictures and progress reports.

But an update here is in order. Penelope has been up in the air for a month now. So far here is what she has received to bring her back to life. Rebuilt brakes and calipers all around. New slave cylinder and rebuilt clutch and brake master cylinder. All flexible hoses and that bloody red clutch line are now stainless steel braided hose. New hood struts front and rear. new plugs, wires cap and rotor. New fuel pump and filter with a primary sacrificial filter in place for a while to make sure the fuel system is clean. Cleaned out the fuel tanks and replaced all the fuel hose with fuel injection braided hose. New seat rails and bushings and some knobs on the controls for the heat and a/c fan. The crossover hoses for the fuel tanks are now silicone and the crossover fuel tube was brushed out with a brass brush. Oil change with Mobil 1 and same with Filter, Lucas ZDDT additive added and Red Line MT90 in the transmission. Cleaned the air horns box and putting a new air filter in today. Mice got into the old one and had cherry skins as a bed. Ate the inside and saved the skins,, smart mice.  I need to replace a couple clips on the door handles and they are on there way from JAE. I  will do the carpet over the winter once I pick out a nice color from those folks over your side of the pond. Kensington I think it is if my memory is correct.  I also want to put a couple small fire extinguishers in the map box between the seats for those OH shit moments if they ever were to happen. She got a nice car cover some some folks in Arizona also for those cover up nights. haha  LIfe is good for Penelope and I think we will have her out of the garage for the first time sometime this weekend if all goes according to plans. I can put pictures up from my other computer for those that are interested in a visual.

Jenna

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So its been a while. I sent the car into RS Motorsports here to have the water pump and timing belt replaced along with a level C tune. When I got the car back we ended up having to take the fuel tank

Right side carpet is done and in the bag with the seat back bolted in place.

Carpets are done and the seats are in. New head liner is next and timing belt along with rebuilding the water pump will be done in May

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Jenna'sEspritTurbo said:

I also want to put a couple small fire extinguishers in the map box between the seats for those OH shit moments if they ever were to happen

Hi Jenna

Good work so far. You might want to install a remove release extinguisher in the back of the car rather than carry them inside the cockpit.

Mine is installed here. It's quite a hefty extinguisher and fits very will as you can see.

IMGP2384_zpsd8707815.jpg

And the nozzles are here.

IMGP2390_zps61e397b0.jpg

IMGP2395_zps9767399f.jpg

Chris

Hi Jenna

This is the one I've got - http://www.jjcraceandrally.com/race/fire-extinguisher-packages/rrs-fire-extinguisher-kit-2-25ltr-plumbed-in-2kg-hand-held.

AIpNcNPgR2.jpg

I carry the 2kg one in the car with me.

The two heads are mounted remotely, and the release is in the cabin.

IMGP2396_zpsbdafc8c0.jpg

I installed this in 1988 or so, and I can't for the life of me remember why I installed the pull where I did. Should have put it a few inches higher rather than through the map pocket.

Chris

The link to the blog is

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164/penelope-pitstop-resurrection-335777/

20 hours ago, TAR said:

sounds like you are making good progress. Can you post a link to your blog?

:) 

I put the link in for you TAR,

• Like 1

Brilliant blog Jenna. You don't hang about do you?!

Work begins on mine soon which has been off the road a similar amount of time (last MOT'd 1992/1993) so I'd expect the list of things to do to be similarly long......

• Like 1

Sounds great and prevention is always better than cure for fires hence replacing fuel lines is a great thing to do especially with the high-ethanol content fuel in the USA.

It might be worth keeping an eye on the silicone fuel hoses though if you have used these on the crossover. Silicone hoses are not usually suitable for continuous immersion in fuel unless its a special type.

Thank you Stephen and Tim. I am on and off here frequently. I live in NJ, USA,  so my chances of driving up on a owner working on his car or a gathering would really be interesting. But on second thought didn't 007 drive a car of some kind under water?????  lol  It could happen ask Q

Update,, After 15 years of sitting languishing in a garage in Minnesota Penelope roared back to life yesterday afternoon. I updated the start up story in my blog that is linked here. She sounds wonderful and is purring like a happy Tigress after a full stomach. First exhaust puffs were smokie and she cleared out after the new gas surged through her carbs. I am truly smitten by this car now and any fears have been vanquished completely. I need to look into the fan relays and the head light relay. Neither want to work at this time. The choke needs to be replaced also as it is broken off right behind the fascia. Tried to free it up some but were it transitions from cable to control is broken off. Here out it will be all small items needing addressing. Now its time for a Guinness. Maybe two

Jenna

Follow her here.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164/penelope-pitstop-resurrection-335777/

On 11/10/2015, 6:11:33, ChrisJ said:

Hi Jenna

This is the one I've got - http://www.jjcraceandrally.com/race/fire-extinguisher-packages/rrs-fire-extinguisher-kit-2-25ltr-plumbed-in-2kg-hand-held.

AIpNcNPgR2.jpg

I carry the 2kg one in the car with me.

The two heads are mounted remotely, and the release is in the cabin.

IMGP2396_zpsbdafc8c0.jpg

I installed this in 1988 or so, and I can't for the life of me remember why I installed the pull where I did. Should have put it a few inches higher rather than through the map pocket.

Chris

Chris,

I did find a supplier here in the sates that sells a kit with a ten pound bottle of Halon. I think that is about 22 kilos if my memory is correct. I will install it in the spring after the rest of the bugs are worked out.

Great to read that you have bought her back to life.

For fire extinguishers, I'd use halon if I could - but we aren't allowed to use it over here. 10lb=4.5Kb. That's much bigger that the one I've got installed (if the weight/size works the same way), and mine is a very tight fit. I'd check to see if it will fit where you want it to go if you are going to plumb it in.

Here's mine next to a 2 litre water bottle for a size check, You don't want one much larger than this for the location I've got mine in.

WP_20151115_20_04_47_Pro_zpsiqjlmift.jpg

Chris

On 11/12/2015, 4:17:58, stephenwhyte said:

Brilliant blog Jenna. You don't hang about do you?!

Work begins on mine soon which has been off the road a similar amount of time (last MOT'd 1992/1993) so I'd expect the list of things to do to be similarly long......

Lets chat your car up when you get going,, might be helpful to compare notes

3 hours ago, ChrisJ said:

Great to read that you have bought her back to life.

For fire extinguishers, I'd use halon if I could - but we aren't allowed to use it over here. 10lb=4.5Kb. That's much bigger that the one I've got installed (if the weight/size works the same way), and mine is a very tight fit. I'd check to see if it will fit where you want it to go if you are going to plumb it in.

Here's mine next to a 2 litre water bottle for a size check, You don't want one much larger than this for the location I've got mine in.

WP_20151115_20_04_47_Pro_zpsiqjlmift.jpg

Chris

Bummer on the Halon,, it keeps the powder mess away and lessons repair time.  Halon is now used in computer banks now as it leaves no residue to clean up. The phone companies have removed water from their buildings as a fire fighting source. But halon smothers so no one can be in the room when you trigger it,,  So in a car fire yes it leaves a somewhat clean mess but you walk away and watch if it worked. Pretty much the same thing with CO2 which is what I had on standby yesterday when we started Penelope for the first time. I am one happy Momma,, she just purrs. Now its time to deal with the electrical mess awaiting me. I rather look forward to that,, less greasy stuff  haha.  I will tell you to watch the light color tubes that go to your charcoal canasters. Mine break just trying to move them. Hi Ho off to the car store I go yet again   I heard Bibs is going to put me on a stipend to finish the car,, what a great lad he is.  :rofl:

I took Penelope out for a drive about on Sunday  to get out the cobwebs and warm up the tires.. 

Great day and she is coming together just wonderfully. I am one happy momma

IMG_0752.JPG

IMG_0755.JPG

IMG_0756.JPG

It does look like I have a leak that needs an investigation to see what it is and where it is. Maybe over the weekend once this sinus thing gets out of my head and I can think better..as if that was ever possible.

Jenna:)

• Like 2

I'm not really that interested in "earlier" Esprits, but I just love your rebuild and blog Jenna. Well done, it's great reading and your enthusiasm and perseverance over the other side of the pond for what is a brilliant chunk of British engineering is completely endearing. Keep going!

• Like 1

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

So I started picking out license personalized plates for Penelope.  I had a lil contest on one of my choices to see how many folks in the US would know what it means or refers to.  I got one lad who said it was a 80's band which was true but not correct as it didn't  use all the letters on the tag option. So its your turn,, don't let me down. The first clue is,, "You cant afford a Esprit if you are using this"  The tag request option number 4 was  " UB40 UK "

The first correct answer gets bragging rights. I own a Turbo Esprit and all my money goes into her, sorry.

Jenna

• Gold FFM

Ub40 was a book or form you had back in the day if you were workshy.

now they just seem to throw money at you - unless you are hardworking - then you get nowt.

love a bit of irony

• Like 2

Only here once