free hit
counters
Update on my 83 Turbo Esprit - Page 3 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Update on my 83 Turbo Esprit

1 minute ago, march said:

There are websites out there that will give you alternative part numbers if you have the original, there are often many and a lot cheaper.

See above Marc re fans and motors.

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

• 2 weeks later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So its been a while. I sent the car into RS Motorsports here to have the water pump and timing belt replaced along with a level C tune. When I got the car back we ended up having to take the fuel tank

Right side carpet is done and in the bag with the seat back bolted in place.

Carpets are done and the seats are in. New head liner is next and timing belt along with rebuilding the water pump will be done in May

Posted Images

I ended buying the Ford fan and hate it. I am returning it and I bought 3 10 inch Spal fans at a very reasonable price here this side of the pond. $104 usd each delivered. I also have my hazard switch and flasher sorted out and everything is working fine now. 

10 hours ago, Jenna'sEspritTurbo said:

I ended buying the Ford fan and hate it. I am returning it and I bought 3 10 inch Spal fans at a very reasonable price here this side of the pond. $104 usd each delivered.

Hello Jenna, I read your post and saw the pics on Lotus Talk regarding this. The Ford motors and fans you received are the correct current replacements (Italian GATE manufacture) for the originals, as per my thread. The major difference is that they were uprated to a five blade version whereas you know, yours was originally four. Also, yes with a different connector.

SPALs are always good though :)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, swindon_alan said:

Hello Jenna, I read your post and saw the pics on Lotus Talk regarding this. The Ford motors and fans you received are the correct current replacements (Italian GATE manufacture) for the originals, as per my thread. The major difference is that they were uprated to a five blade version whereas you know, yours was originally four. Also, yes with a different connector.

SPALs are always good though :)

Thanx,  I just could not get that comfy feeling about what I found in the original fans. Circlips coming off the armature shaft and the winding moving about is caveman amateur engineering hot mess in my book. The thought of cooking Penelope's engine over them was a bit unsettlings if you know what I mean.  So the time I spent repairing the two oems was a lesson for me I guess from The Book of Lucas.  

:driving::P

59 minutes ago, Jenna'sEspritTurbo said:

So the time I spent repairing the two oems was a lesson for me I guess from The Book of Lucas.

Ha, I'm sure that you know the old "reality" joke about Lucas's original mantra?

Image result for lucas king of the road

P*ss take:

229-255_1.jpg

:P

• Like 1

8 hours ago, swindon_alan said:

Ha, I'm sure that you know the old "reality" joke about Lucas's original mantra?

P*ss take:

229-255_1.jpg

Too be sure,, The Queen Knighted Joseph Lucas with a wickless Black candle and declared, Sir Knight Lucas baffle them in Darkness and so it was until this day. All rejoiced and let the smoke out from this day hence I proclaim. So I declare blah blah blah. Now on to new business bring in that Lad with the oil drip pan my girdle was way to tight, accidents happen.   Ah the Jenna version of history is sooooooooooooooo much more fun. Must be the Welsh in me, Another pint of the Welsh Ale man,,,,,hurry my thoughts are dry

Happy New Year to all you folks across the pond

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Jenna'sEspritTurbo said:

Too be sure,, The Queen Knighted Joseph Lucas with a wickless Black candle and declared, Sir Knight Lucas baffle them in Darkness and so it was until this day. All rejoiced and let the smoke out from this day hence I proclaim. So I declare blah blah blah. Now on to new business bring in that Lad with the oil drip pan my girdle was way to tight, accidents happen.   Ah the Jenna version of history is sooooooooooooooo much more fun. Must be the Welsh in me, Another pint of the Welsh Ale man,,,,,hurry my thoughts are dry

Happy New Year to you too Jenna y'all

:unworthy:

9 hours ago, swindon_alan said:

P*ss take:

229-255_1.jpg

Been ripping the old carpet out getting ready from the stuff coming your side of the pond and changing out the sway bar bushings. The chemicals have gotten to me head..  Painted the sway bar deep cherry red with purple bushings. That outta raise and eyebrow when I get the belt changed shortly

14 hours ago, Jenna'sEspritTurbo said:

Painted the sway bar deep cherry red with purple bushings. That outta raise and eyebrow when I get the belt changed shortly

American to English translator needed for Sway bar :)

• Like 1

Ahh I am referring to the anti roll bar as you folks in UK call it.  Anti roll bar, sway bar, piece of bent steel rod thingy, watchcamacallit. Its cherry red now with plum bushings.   :happy dance:

IMG_0146.JPG

IMG_0147.JPG

IMG_0141.JPG

On 1/2/2016 at 10:45, Advantage said:

It could mean this, but it's more likely to be the anti roll bar. 

Yes it could be as you say the Sway Bar,, But certainly not even close to the Swing Bar   hehe

Spal fan upgrade complete. A bear of a job but well worth the effort. These fans really move some air and draw less current. They are also sealed motors for those of you that get your Esprit wet in the damp weather. Penelope is to dainty to get her skin rained on. A huge debt of thanx to Atwell Haines for the assist on the install. When testing the hot side of the Lucas fan motor it was hard to determine what direction the air was flowing, Enough said about my feelings on the Lucas fans. 

IMG_0164.JPG

IMG_0159.JPG

IMG_0156.JPG

• Like 1

Careful with the acetone...that stuff can eat gloves and paint, too... I guess her being Penelope, must make you Odysseus?(!)

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

My nails look like they went through a meat grinder after nearly 4 months of getting her back in shape. Come summer its to the nail salon and a good pampering  lol

The carpet is out the acetone didn't work,, it was 3/8 inch wood chisel and a real slow go at it. She is ready to get her new carpet tomorrow. My hands hurt from pulling, cutting and tugging.

7 hours ago, molemot said:

Careful with the acetone...that stuff can eat gloves and paint, too... I guess her being Penelope, must make you Odysseus?(!)

Yeah with boobs   lol  Off with there heads  

I get nail problems too....no nails on the left hand but pampered ones on the right, being a fingerstyle guitar player....(!) I remember when I did the body work on mine, so much rubbing with Wetordri paper I wore away my fingerprints....

Well done on the sterling effort....always a great day once it's done!!!

• Like 1

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Half done with the carpet. My ribs look like I went 10 rounds with a kick boxer and lost from leaning over the door sill seam.  I needs to get a steamer to work all the angles around the door jam area. Too many angles to go without one there.

So far it looks like the grey carpet is really going to show off the angles of the interior parts well/ I think it will be a nice combo with the black seats and leather.

A lil help from you folks across the pond please.  I need a template for the hand drake boot so I can finish my carpet install. I also need a lead on a used lower botton guards by the engine.  Part number A082B4559K or the short version B082B4292K. Mine is missing and it seems it is a popular piece to leave off.  Geesh that bugs the hell out of me. I will gladly trade copious amounts of snow for that part. 

On 30/1/2016 at 03:01, Jenna'sEspritTurbo said:

A lil help from you folks across the pond please.  I need a template for the hand drake boot so I can finish my carpet install. I also need a lead on a used lower botton guards by the engine.  Part number A082B4559K or the short version B082B4292K. Mine is missing and it seems it is a popular piece to leave off.  Geesh that bugs the hell out of me. I will gladly trade copious amounts of snow for that part. 

hey Jenna, I'll be able to help - when my car arrives (hopefully by the end of the week) with this for you.   Also, I like the grey colour choice.  Mine (to be) is black on black , but the grey breaks up the look.  Even thought about red !

• Like 1

Thank you. I think I have it covered here. I should know today or tomorrow. William Thomas Roadsters in Frenchtown NJ has a guy that they believe can handle the boot. I'm calling JAE here today and a company in Texas that has cut up some Esprits. Hopefully they have the belly pan.. Cheers

• 1 month later...

Finishing up the new carpet today and went to a Lotus PALS club winer stress relieve gathering yesterday. The had the new Evora 400 for preview. Simply put I want one. There were some really interesting pieces of Lotus history there on display, JPS #47 of the Federal car version Esprit Great day outand one of five PPG Pace Cars V8 in yellow,,, Ohhh did that purr like heavenly. Great day out, time to drop in the drivers seat and call the carpet job a wrap.

IMG_0394.JPG

• Like 1