free hit
counters
The Beast is home...Let the fun start! - Page 2 - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
oilmagnet477

The Beast is home...Let the fun start!

Nice shiney galvanised chassis you have there. That will give you no problems for many years to come. It all looks pretty solid and so a cosmetic restoration only? Well done good buy. 

My ocd would mean that I would still take the body off to clean everything but that's just me...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Lol Mike, not sure mine is far behind you but I'm now thinking I have to give this car a basic 'get going' overhaul and shake it down a bit first.

The more I delve the more I'm loving it, and to be honest I'm not underestimating the problems that may or may not exist with the oily bits.

I reckon I'm better off getting it going first - if all is well with the Engine and Gbox for now, then the rest can suddenly become a priority.

Still chuffed to bits for a blind purchase though, but after 49 years and more cars than I can remember, I had to get lucky once!

Never expected it to be a Lotus though!!

Looks good to me. Well done Ant, I must get over and have a look. Trouble is close to Christmas all weekends are full.

That's proper nice looking. Some of the pictures I posted of the front suspension on mine prompted comments like - did it come off the titanic??

24 minutes ago, clivef38 said:

Looks good to me. Well done Ant, I must get over and have a look. Trouble is close to Christmas all weekends are full.

Don't worry Clive, she's not going anywhere for a while. Have a great Christmas and we'll no doubt catch up in the New Year

All the best

Ant

Very similar to how I found mine, just surface rust. By the time you've dusted it all down, wiped it over with an oily rag it'll look as good as new. 

After a few hours in the workshop this afternoon I have a freshly liberated fuel tank

5685544029062_tankremoval1.jpg.9cf784916

568554542c935_tankremoval2.jpg.40ff85ec8

5685546d7049c_tankremoval5.jpg.b2fdcced75685547baaac9_tankremoval7.jpg.a794e7515

568554834ae02_tankremoval8.jpg.b0e69c3f1

568554748da79_tankremoval6.jpg.6ad1372dc

For what is supposedly a 39 year old tank, I'm surprised at the condition - I used my bore scope to look inside and it is quite shiny!

I wonder if it has already been replaced? Getting the 2 bolts undone (single-handed) was easier than previous reports on here had prepared me for so it could already have been replaced in the past, however, I have no way of finding out. Only a few small bits of crap in the banjo (you can just make a bit out in the photo). I was surprised how tight the tank was held in place by the 2 filler pipes - I had to come in and check the manual coz I thought that I'd missed another fixing. However, after I got those off it came out quite easily.

I think the obvious leak around the drain plug explains the strong smell of petrol!

568556b7c05c5_tankremoval9.jpg.7103accb2

More of a problem potentially is what I found when I removed the tank from the car

56855464626bc_tankremoval4.jpg.7c918b9fc

5685545bb8cbe_tankremoval3.jpg.20503ba48

Not sure how common these sort of cracks are and I guess not that tricky to fix but all the same I was a bit surprised to see them on a bit of the car that I wouldn't have thought would be much stressed?

Happy New Year everyone!

I thnik the back seat panel was a separate holding and added later. My tank wasn't bad on the inside after all there should be no water in the tank. Mine rotted from the outside. Whilst you have the tank out I would get some sealer for it, a new banjo with a decent barb on it.

Cheers Mike, I'm planning to go for one of the series 2 banjos with the stand up gauze filter on it - I assume these fit?

http://www.kelsport.net/parts/product_details.asp?PartID=4077&categoryID=29&PartsectionID=7

When you suggest sealer, I assume you mean something that you apply internally? Any suggestions?

And your comment about the panel being a later fit would make sense - In which case not much to worry about.

http://www.frost.co.uk/automotive-car-bike-maintenance/automotive-tanks-products/por15-basic-car-tank-repair-kit.html

I used this stuff which effectively creates a plastic lining to your tank. Good for me since i did have some holes it covers easily too and creates a good upper body workout when you have the roll the tank around. It not quite so easy to seal the tank though with two openings, the sender opening, the drain and the feed. I've used it on a gt6 in the past with a really rotten tank and it worked a treat.

Hi Ant,

Your tank looks bit better than mine. Not much..

Mine came off quite easy, those rubber hose parts in filler nec sure helped it. Mine was dry every where so have to investigate where smell comes.

Have to think about that POR15 sealer.

Got some braided fuel pipe and ends and have just been looking at how it goes through the chassis - with the aid of my bore scope (fantastic £89 investment from Clas Ohlsen a few years ago!) it looks pretty straight forward. Still amazed at how close it seems to be to the prop shaft though!

Have also got this off:

56adfa2a97116_clutchgrommet.jpg.7c610692

Pretty much dead. The blanking plate on the other side is completely missing.

Might at least be able to progress this now with my foundry friend (for casting a mould) but not sure if this will be good enough to get drawings from.

Also just grabbed myself a 30 tonne floor press off ebay for £230 which seems a bit of a bargain - hopefully will help with the rear suspension strip and rebuild when the time comes. Hopefully be here this week so I'll keep you posted. If anyone locally needs to use it just let me know.

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

What? you don't recognise it :)

It is the clutch fork grommet (or what's left of it!)

My brother in law lives in the US and is coming over in May so I'm hoping he can get me one from RD Enterprises ($47) so I can use that as a template and also save on shipping costs to the UK :)

On of course... Not sure I do recognise it since my vanished before I brought my car!:P

On 30/12/2015 at 17:04, mikeeech said:

I thnik the back seat panel was a separate holding and added later.

OK so I'd like to take that back since mike at lotusbits has now looked at mine prior to its respray and thinks it's had a ding which has caused mine to come away. Mine has heavy crazing on the nearside rear on the outside also.

Mike, thanks for that, think I'll fashion a repair of some kind just to bond them together again. Not realistically going to get anyone in the back (at least regularly!) so shouldn't cause a huge problem.

Not sure about a ding though! Mine has had a galv chassis fitted at some point in the car's past but otherwise the body looks pretty faultless (for a 40 yr old car at least!). I appreciate that MT knows his stuff but a shunt just doesn't add up in mine?

Hoping to pay LB a visit on Saturday as I'm off to Walsall for an evening meeting (oh joy) so thought I'd kill 2 birds etc.

Anyway thanks

I thought that oñ mine too but I had some bad crazing on the rear 3/4's around the filler cap... Not enough to cause serious damage but enough to pop this bit out. MT also has mentions that the waist line is cracked too which I'm going to take at look at on Friday.

Delayed, frustratingly by lack of access and electricity, I have started to think about removing the carbs and getting them sorted.

I have a compressor and have bought some soda for blasting everything nice and clean. I will be getting hold of a refurb kit for both carbs but can anyone tell me if I should remove all parts from the carbs bodies before blasting or leave things like jets etc in situ (given that these will be replaced) whilst blasting?

It seems obvious that I should strip everything and give it all a really thorough clean but I am a little nervous about blast media getting where it shouldn't etc (although, being soda, a good hot wash should remove anything I guess)

Thanks

Ant

Something else has just come back to me! Whilst at LBits recently, I asked Mike about the rubber Bell housing bungs/grommets. He said that they were largely irrelevant and that if missing or knackered it is better to leave them off to let anything out.

When I did mine, there was a lot of sap-like grime inside, but it was not hard to clean off, and the result seemed very good to me.

The casting are quite soft and any parts not available, so I'm don't see that blasting them is worth the risk.  

That's interesting, thanks, I'll start with a good soak then. Just that I'd seen quite a bit about soda blasting carb parts and it being quite gentle - but probably better safe than sorry perhaps.

Thanks

Ant

Evening all,

Just been prompted for my £20 annual fee - this means that I've been on here just over a year.

Thought it might be worth reflecting on how far (or not!) I've come in that time......(Lotus wise that is!)

Well, took my time initially but ended up with a beaut (IMO) of a 1976 Elite, on a new chassis and decent bodywork/interior - although a bit of work won't go amiss.

Double sided tape (gorilla variety) just turned up to secure the cover strip on the external join.

Have tank out and got the Frost stuff to do inside of tank. Still need to sort out fuel lines from Mike Taylor (braided hose and screw fit connectors - awaiting cash!)

Got windscreen (currently in the office so safe and warm!)

Workshop is now back to power so hoping now we have my Mother in law installed, I'm looking forward to a busy autumn. Still got to finish of some odds and sods in the annex (fit kitchen etc but nearly there - at least she is in (even if slightly camping).

Even though I haven't achieved what I wanted, I've still achieved some things (and a lot of unforeseen non car stuff as well). Useful to remind oneself sometimes.

Most importantly, I've made some great links on here, met a really good bunch at the Wreningham Bird in Hand and learn't loads about the car and marque.

Thanks all - hoping for good stuff over the next 12 months

• Like 2

Just been on to the very helpful Dave at Lotusbits about sorting out the braided teflon fuel pipe and Jig6 fittings (through to the carbs) for my fuel system rebuild. Now £530 lighter!

Dave informs me that the only way to do it is to enlarge the chassis holes as the O/D of the pipe is bigger than OE from lotus.

That means prop out which I'm thinking means the easiest solution is to get the diff off (so I can redo the brakes and suspension).

Also reckons that the front crank seal will be shot (last ran in 1999) and the water pump will need doing - had kind of planned for this whilst doing the Cam belt.

Look out for updates as I get started in the near future!!!