free hit
counters
The Beast is home...Let the fun start! - Page 4 - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
oilmagnet477

The Beast is home...Let the fun start!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
4 hours ago, oilmagnet477 said:

Apologies above, I think it was @directordanw rather than @Dunc who was doing the bench work on the suspension!

It was me, although I doubt I'm the first.  Amazing how much easier things are when you're not lying on your back under a ton of precariously perched car trying to reach something that was installed by somebody with four elbows!

Regular restorer. Rather less reliable forum poster!

So, finally got round to plucking up the courage to reassemble the diff output shafts and diff assembly.

It has been (as I feared), a complete ball ache. I pressed the bearing back on the shafts OK but I had to heat the collars in the oven to even get on to the shafts.

Once on, I pressed them on. I used a Loctite bearing sealant on all components and am hoping for the best. I did try heating the collars but if you try to do it on the shaft, the plastic bits in the new bearings complain significantly so I gave up on that. I will be holding no one responsible if the wheels fall off but given the Loctite and the amount of force required to get them on, I will be quite surprised if I end up hedge bound!

As far as getting the shafts back in the diff with the retaining plate, new seal and o ring - what a complete **** of a job that is!

In the end I have devised a method where by you clamp the retaining plate against the bearing and glue (with hermatite Blue) the brake back plate on to the retaining plate. Bolts are only there to hold it whilst the sealant goes off. Using the long bolts and nuts to secure the retaining plate to the bearing worked well but it was still a pain lining up the bolts in the diff etc. As the retaining plate can't move from the bearing - I'm hoping that the O ring, which sits against the face of the brake back plate will seat - there is no way that once the shaft is in place you can tell if it is a success.

IMG_5105.JPG.a8c3b407d80b84f287a53a1c78fdd229.JPG IMG_5106.thumb.JPG.2df29970b21eb1516affc4f6d4b108cb.JPG

Drivers side done and NS awaiting drying before I try again.

IMG_5107.JPG

Nice one Lotus - cracking design. However well it may (or may not) work when together, it seems little thought was given to how you would maintain this in the longer term.

Onwards

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

DOH!

The eagle eyed amongst you may have spotted the obvious error!?

I put the shaft on the wrong side. Only realised when I'd put the other one on as well - brake hole in the back plate had the handbrake lever bit on the wrong side!

So much for my fool proof labelling!!

Thankfully it all came apart and went back a bit easier and I found that one of the O rings had got nipped up and split so I was pretty happy to have sorted that before it was on the car!!

Also made myself a new handbrake connecting rod as the old one was kaput.

IMG_5109.JPG.d7712c5e382f6fb71a935ad3dff6e6ee.JPG

Pretty happy with the result. 6mm bar with threads cut either end and a clevis bracket screwed on the end. Hopefully it should do a good job at replacing the very rough original.

• Like 1

Ho Ho Sorry mate we all like to see the muppet moments we all do.:sofa:

• Like 1

So, time for a bit of an update.......

Diff is all back together and ready to go on the car once the handbrake is all sorted.

IMG_5116.thumb.JPG.2b9144a3f9dede32a3dc6857221af8b7.JPG

IMG_5118.thumb.JPG.34c2600a705ab7d2bf3cf84257a610b7.JPG

I've made an access hole for the handbrake adjustment and will put some sort of rubber seal around the cut edge and then currently thinking I will attach a cover with some sticky backed gripper tape that I've just nabbed off fleabay (like velco but only 1  hooked face which attaches to itself.

IMG_5113.JPG.1960125b1fdb58671a6e187b86131a59.JPGIMG_5115.thumb.JPG.cf136bad61ad798ea6370396522297d7.JPG

Just refitting the handbrake cable and rod and then the Diff can go back in.

All suspension bits ready to be reassembled (sorry, not sure why the photos are on their sides?)

IMG_5119.JPG.8f8964ca534624ac2fe27d781a54ade7.JPG

IMG_5120.thumb.JPG.13fd495762fe505c7efd20af66a4a0bf.JPG

IMG_5121.JPG.1b097deb810e9ba7d7347265ca098b6c.JPG

Everything has taken far longer than planned (what a surprise!) but hopeful that I'll have the car on four wheels very soon, all be it until I do the front end, but I'm sorting the engine out before I do that so I can finally hear the old girl sing!

Happy days....

• Like 2

Looking good. It won't be long before you are looking back at your work and wondering why it took so long to do! :) 

It's getting there......

Oh man you're doing the stuff I've been very apprehensive about. Lovely motor Ant, really good colour combo. This is just for my info/interest, but is there a rear disc conversion for Elites? I was surprised to see the drums although they look deep!

Thanks @GTK - she's hopefully going to end up a genuine beauty. Had hoped she'd be on the road by now but life keeps getting in the way!

Best conversion regards brakes is to sit the Elite on an Excel chassis (quite an involved bit of body fettling required). I think other mods have been done but that would seriously be beyond my capabilities!

Not sure you've any reason to be apprehensive - I'm a long time novice IMO - learning all the time! You've taught yourself to weld - I can't weld of toffee (hence the galv chassis and plastic body B-)), trust me I've tried.

Cheers

Ant

• Like 1

well I finally got back out in the shed - I have been delayed owing to deciding to replace the propshaft UJs (well it seemed to make sense whilst it was out). Bit of a mare with the original (?) circlips breaking but finally got them sorted with new items - with some longer grease nipples. Should be OK although it seems a bit stiff at the diff end in one direction - I've given it a good grease up - I wonder if I've over 'cramped' the caps to get the circlips back in? Hopefully it will be OK after a bit of use. Prop shaft back in the car - surprisingly easy although the wobbly end of the shaft that fits onto the output shaft of the gearbox was a little tricky to navigate through the chassis - doesn't help having ape sized hands! Diff to go in next but I'll need another pair of hands for that one....

Onwards

• Like 2

2 hours ago, oilmagnet477 said:

........... Diff to go in next but I'll need another pair of hands for that one....

Thought you east anglians had 4 hands! Ahh no, sorry webbed feet, my mistake.:P

• Haha 1

So, after a bit of a push from my fellow 'East Anglian TLF' members at last week's meeting and also further inspired by the efforts of @GTK, I have been out in the shed.

Principle job was to get the Diff in but that's been somewhat delayed by diff oil leaking all over the floor after getting the Diff under the car (not fixed thankfully!). Back plate not properly sealed so unit now back on the bench. I have hopefully now re-sealed the plate but the seal on my oil syringe thingy has given up the ghost (used twice!!) and I can't find a replacement seal. Only a few quid for a new one but the principle of having to buy a new one is annoying.

I have also been somewhat chicken hearted - after 2 years + of ownership, I have been meaning to get the engine turning (manually) to ensure nothing is seized. Just whipped out the plugs and sprayed in some wd40 and put the breaker bar on the crank nut (expecting solidity) - turned really easily so well chuffed at that - will need to do a compression test at some point but not being seized after a considerable period is a real relief B-) 

For now at least, happy days......

• Like 2

Do you mean a big syringe for filling transmissions? If your few quid one's toast after two times then wouldn't you be better off getting a better one. I've got the sealey one and yeah it costs a bit but it's going strong after many many years. Can't live without one when you have two gearboxes [Land Rovers].

edit; PS I'm not affiliated in any way, and you'll prob find it cheaper elsewhere. knowhatimsayin :ph34r:

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, GTK said:

Do you mean a big syringe for filling transmissions? If your few quid one's toast after two times then wouldn't you be better off getting a better one. I've got the sealey one and yeah it costs a bit but it's going strong after many many years. Can't live without one when you have two gearboxes [Land Rovers].

edit; PS I'm not affiliated in any way, and you'll prob find it cheaper elsewhere. knowhatimsayin :ph34r:

Thanks George B-)

This is what I had. Really simple - what could go wrong??? OK - I've had it kicking around since my LR Series 3 days so it's probably 8-10 years old but the plastic inner seal has broken (became brittle I guess.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cgg500-500cc-oil-suction-gun/

Puts me in mind of this.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD6YG7RqKDM

• Like 1

At this rate Ant you will be back on the road before me.B-)

Clive

22 hours ago, GTK said:

Managed to source a 'Laser' tools version of yours @GTK for a more reasonable £39.50 - it's a beast! (1.5lt rather than the 500ml one I had previously)

Now a poser for you all - How to recycle the old pump into something useful? All ideas welcome (apart from sexually related answers - after 2 weeks Jury Service, I really don't need any more information on that front!!! - and NO I won't be elaborating on that!)

4 hours ago, oilmagnet477 said:

Managed to source a 'Laser' tools version of yours @GTK for a more reasonable £39.50 - it's a beast! (1.5lt rather than the 500ml one I had previously)

Now a poser for you all - How to recycle the old pump into something useful? All ideas welcome (apart from sexually related answers - after 2 weeks Jury Service, I really don't need any more information on that front!!! - and NO I won't be elaborating on that!)

Didn't know there was any "other" use for one of those ;)

Might still work as a grease dispenser, maybe not a gun but a dispenser :huh:

Great job! Not the best weather for it. 4 wheel laser alignment must surely be on the list now!

9 hours ago, mikeeech said:

Great job! Not the best weather for it. 4 wheel laser alignment must surely be on the list now!

What can be adjusted, front and rear, on an Elite/Eclat when you do tracking?