free hit
counters
S1 for sale - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Paul Coleman

S1 for sale

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

No mention of mileage and the interior would need to be completely redone for me. Who's idea was that steering wheel?!

So roughly twice the price of the one Chris Evans bought from him !

How much????? I agree the interior would need re-doing and with the steering wheel is so far off the original.  The door lines don't look good and was that a WHITE spare wheel??

I'm not convinced that interior is nicely done, the very first thing that caught my eye was the headrest, where the ribs are in the front face, the side puckers. It may well be leather but it looks from the pics like vinyl. Although far from original design, I can understand why somebody may choose over the years to move from the colour scheme to one that's more modern, but that's something I expect during that period where the car is far from new but not yet "classic", this interior looks new so a pity that it's not been done in original scheme materials and colours.

Price wise, I do agree with Geert, the prices increasing to be closer to other contemporary cars is a good thing, I cannot help but wonder if that's just the UK Sportscars factor on this individual car.

I have heard of 2 S1s selling for £55,000 recently. It's coming down to supply and demand, the demand is there but there is virtually no supply in this country.

When the same thing happened to the e-type people began importing them from the US where they're cheaper and in abundance, despite being 50 years old. It won't be long before people start importing cars like this to then add a '1' on the front of the price... http://bringatrailer.com/2015/11/11/assembly-required-1977-lotus-esprit-in-pieces/

1 hour ago, Alec Grimsey said:

was that a WHITE spare wheel

My spare wheel is white - and it is definitely original (wheel as well as tyre :))

WP_20151114_21_20_53_Pro_zps2t4wlipk.jpg

• Like 1

One of the downsides to rising prices is that parts suppliers realise they too can charge more and maintenance then becomes more of a financial burden. This has certainly happened in the e-type world where a number of years ago a bonnet was £3,000 and now it's nearer £7,000! Which is a particular pain in the a**e for me as I need one :(

Edited by Paul Coleman

yep I don't like the prices are rising, parts will be more expensive , for me it is just a toy, and  toys need to be cheap. soon the esprits will be in hands of people that don't like the cars but they just want to make some money. and the real esprit enthusiast can not buy the car anymore because of the rising prices 

But one of the good things about better value, is that the quality of the cars is getting better. People care about them and they are worth maintaining well . You don't have to ask yourself: Is this car worth of doing so much costs. Myself, I am using this car as a hobby a lot, so I am putting miles on the counter quick and I wil keep doing so as long as I find it fun. I try to do all jobs myself, and take better care of the car then a non skilled owner who needs a mecanicgarage can afford.

But sometimes it is frustrating to see another vintage giugiaro go lost because of negligence. I used to  see nice repainted cars with underneath ugly , non maintained mecanics. Nowadays, a lot of owners restore the cars better.

Edited by gvy

I always think of classic cars as a little bit of history.  When you look back at some of the engineering and what was achieved, often its quite amazing.  I guess it is inevitable that the prices of cars and spares will rise as they become rarer and there are less in existence.  There will always be some that are kept original and others which are less so but all the same loved by their owners.  But likewise someone will always be trying to make a few pounds.

Is there a master record of how many S1 Esprits are in the UK or a way of finding out as this would be an interesting thing to know.

There is a website called www.howmanyleft.co.uk (I think that's what it's called?). I believe the Lotus club only recognise 40 S1s but I would think it's nearer to 100 with some of them lurking in barns up and down the country. The DB5 is worth so much becasue they ONLY made 1,000 pah! That many ;)

Thanks Paul,

I had a look on how many left and it certainly does list the Esprit but doesn't seem to break it down enough to see the S1.

No but you should be able to get an idea going by year? I think for 1976 they list about 5 cars only.

Edited by Paul Coleman

According to the how many left website there are 69 Esprits either on the road or SORNed that were first registered between 1976 and 1978.....I suppose some of those from 78 may be S2s though?

Phil

On 14/11/2015 at 21:27, ChrisJ said:

My spare wheel is white - and it is definitely original (wheel as well as tyre :))

WP_20151114_21_20_53_Pro_zps2t4wlipk.jpg

I'm restoring an S1. The rear side of the wheels are certainly powder coated. Do Monaco White cars have wheels with white insides, rather than black?

No. My car is an original white/tartan car and the wheels never had any kind of paint on them. I believe they may have had a clear lacquer on the outside but that was it. Let's see some pictures of your car - what chassis number is it?

Looks like Chris J was referring to a 1982 Esprit Turbo.

From looking at the three S1's at LotusFest last weekend (2x Monaco White and 1 x Colorado Orange), from my understanding the rear of the road wheels are generally powder coated black, but body colour in some instances. Mine were definitely red at some point as there are flakes of paint on some surfaces, as is the body colour. The outer side is polished with the embossed Wolfrace & size information in black it seems, though I need to check that last detail. Like you say, they were also laquered. I'm not sure I will be lacquering them though. I'll have to discuss this with the wheel refurbishing expert as to what is best long term.

My car is currently in a sorry state of affairs, though largely complete. VIN 78020341G. Manufactured in February 1978 and first registered in May 1978. It has two headlamp motors and the battery box at the rear (driver's side) of the luggage compartment. It's mainly in need of a n/s drop glass, and a o/s quarter glass.

I'm currently researching Marcacite options in case I decide to completely reupholster. As I'm restoring it myself it'll be about 18 months before it makes any appearance due to my workload etc.

Cheers,

David.

yes, apologies for the confusion, just showing theat there are original white spare wheels

1 hour ago, Fridge said:

From looking at the three S1's at LotusFest last weekend (2x Monaco White and 1 x Colorado Orange), from my understanding the rear of the road wheels are generally powder coated black, but body colour in some instances. Mine were definitely red at some point as there are flakes of paint on some surfaces, as is the body colour.

But that's not how they left the factory. There was never any paint on those wheels on either side. People have painted the backs of their wheels but that's a personal choice. I personally don't like it and so mine are just bare alloy, as they were back in the day.

There was lacquer on the outside but over the years it yellows and cracks which is why most people don't re-lacquer them, me included. Mine are just polished and then waxed.