free hit
counters
Turbo issue. - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Ian, did you read this thread on IAC's and pintle shapes?

Also, about the wastegate sticking. Sometimes this is due to the wastegate spindle bush migrating. In the following pic, the shiny part of the bush shows how much the bush has moved from it's normal position.

TurboWastegateA.jpg

Migrating bushes can either cause sticky valves or valves which don't close properly (as in the picture). I smacked the bush back into position, but it moved again, so I had it welded in position. I'm not sure if welding is the best solution if the holes can elongate (as suggested above). I think the bush might be hard to replace if it has been welded.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Ian

P.S. Does anyone know if Wastegate Solenoid (Frequency) Valves are still available. I see the part is now obsolete according to some sources (although SJSportscars still lists this item). Are there any alternate parts for this item? P/N A082M6420F

Edited by Qavion
P.S.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Update:- I fixed the turbo wastegate pipe using a reducing connector and two different pipe sizes so the problem doesn't happen again. I also fitted a new pair of Moroso coil packs at the same ti

At the same time as I discovered the split pipe, I also found the aftermost air filter housing U-bracket missing. I initially blamed myself for not tightening it up properly, however closer inspection

Right, here's the 217-427 IAC, which has just arrived. I'm not hopeful, because it looks to me like there's a three-angle pintle on it. If you look at the original IAC, it doesn't have that as far as

Reference the IAC shapes, I have a 217-411 Delco, the cone of which is not pointed, it is flat. The only difference I can see is that the multiplug connector is orientated slightly differently to the one that was originally fitted to my car. It remains to be seen what, if any, difference that makes. Of course, I will post with the results, as it looks like I might get a run out today.

This is the 217-411:-

217-427_Primary_zps3pxkvqyd.jpg

Reference the turbo bush, I'll have a look to see if I can see anything, Presumably if the wastegate capsule is not directly in line, it could cause the bush to wander out.

As for the turbo wastegate solenoid, maybe you could have a look at the Delco 214-474. It's a 3-port solenoid, I was going to buy one to try, but just haven't gotten around to it. EDIT: also the U44001

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

If the pintle doesn't fit exactly the hole it's meant to block off - it won't run right.

just from my experience - the pintle is indeed critical

Only here once

1 hour ago, Barrykearley said:

If the pintle doesn't fit exactly the hole it's meant to block off - it won't run right.

just from my experience - the pintle is indeed critical

I'm sure you're right.

Started the car, started first turn of the key, despite it being colder than a witch's tit down here. Drove off, no probs, seemed OK, if a little high on the idle, which gradually started to settle down. After a couple of miles, I noticed it start faffing around, and finally it run, but wouldn't idle at all. Back home, I pulled the IAC valve, and this is what it looked like. The guts were left behind.

2015-11-22%2013.49.24_zps7h4ioqki.jpg

Not surprised it was playing up, even if it was, or wasn't the right part.

Here's the comparison, 217-411 at the top, the original IAC I removed at the bottom.

2015-11-22%2013.48.46_zpsfnnihj2b.jpg

Margate Exotics.

Whilst I was cocking around, and after Jaap's post about bushes, I thought I'd check the turbo wastegate. It looked fine, but see if you can spot what is probably the cause of the turbo boost issue I've been experiencing: -

2015-11-22%2012.46.02_zpsxo4rhv3l.jpg

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, ian29gte said:

I'm sure you're right.

Started the car, started first turn of the key, despite it being colder than a witch's tit down here. Drove off, no probs, seemed OK, if a little high on the idle, which gradually started to settle down. After a couple of miles, I noticed it start faffing around, and finally it run, but wouldn't idle at all. Back home, I pulled the IAC valve, and this is what it looked like. The guts were left behind.

2015-11-22%2013.49.24_zps7h4ioqki.jpg

Not surprised it was playing up, even if it was, or wasn't the right part.

Here's the comparison, 217-411 at the top, the original IAC I removed at the bottom.

2015-11-22%2013.48.46_zpsfnnihj2b.jpg

That's exactly what my one looked like - it is NOT a 217-411 unit. I'm not even convinced they ever fitted one of those to a lotus.

when I fitted a 411 I had very similar results to what you experienced - seemed fine at first - then a whole lot of shit happened !!!

put an order into rock auto - you'll have to wait a whole 5-6 days - but you will save yourself £50 !!

Only here once

Thanks Barry. I put the original one back in for now, arranged for a refund on the 411, and re-ordered a 427.

Once I get the turbo pipework sorted I'll be able to drive it, but it could be a while yet.

Margate Exotics.

No washers on the wastegate spindle, leading to the split-pin locking to the capsule's arm? As well as the split in the pipe.

What split-pin? Seems to be missing :D Or did you mean the circlip locking to the capsule's arm? I notice on some installations, there are double lock nuts on the spindle. Not sure if it matters.

Anyway, it sounds like we have a winner with the split pipe.  A cheap fix.... sorta

Well done!

Cheers

Ian.

5 minutes ago, Qavion said:

What split-pin? Seems to be missing :D Or did you mean the circlip locking to the capsule's arm? I notice on some installations, there are double lock nuts on the spindle. Not sure if it matters.

Anyway, it sounds like we have a winner with the split pipe.  A cheap fix.... sorta

Well done!

Cheers

Ian.

It remains to be seen, but I reckon that's it. I think there's a circlip on the wastegate spindle, too.

The problem appears to have been caused by the fact that the turbo spigot is 6.5mm, but the wastegate solenoid port is 4mm. I guess what with the heat from the turbo, the rubber pipe just couldn't cope, despite the fact it was new. I've ordered a reducer so as not to strain them, and have two different pipe diameters ready to go on. Once that arrives, I'll know if it's cured.

16 hours ago, Sparky said:

Next time I pop in, you'll be getting a slap.

The way you've been carrying on lately, I should be safe until this time next year, by which time you'll have forgotten about it.

Margate Exotics.

It's MOST LIKELY you've found the issue. Love it when its this simple. As for the IAC I agree with everyone else - if your IAC pintle is off, it'll run just straight out weird, especially when warm or during a warm start.

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

12 hours ago, Vanya said:

It's MOST LIKELY you've found the issue. Love it when its this simple. As for the IAC I agree with everyone else - if your IAC pintle is off, it'll run just straight out weird, especially when warm or during a warm start.

At the same time as I discovered the split pipe, I also found the aftermost air filter housing U-bracket missing. I initially blamed myself for not tightening it up properly, however closer inspection revealed that the rivnut or whatever fixing that the retaining bolt screws into in the GRP is nowhere to be seen, and hence the bracket, bolt washer and fixing are probably laying on the A299 Thanet Way somewhere, and there's bugger-all I could have done about it.

It does however just go to show that regular inspections around your engine may not be a bad thing.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

On 23/11/2015, 08:06:13, Qavion said:

Well done!

Cheers

Ian.

Ah, hadn't opened the image up to enough resolution, it looked like a split pin that goes through the spindle, but zooming in, I can see it's a circlip/ E-clip. Mine is held by a splitpin and so have to fit shim washers either side of the arm so that the pin doesn't latch on to the arm and lock the wastegate position.

2 hours ago, ian29gte said:

At the same time as I discovered the split pipe, I also found the aftermost air filter housing U-bracket missing. I initially blamed myself for not tightening it up properly, however closer inspection revealed that the rivnut or whatever fixing that the retaining bolt screws into in the GRP is nowhere to be seen, and hence the bracket, bolt washer and fixing are probably laying on the A299 Thanet Way somewhere, and there's bugger-all I could have done about it.

It does however just go to show that regular inspections around your engine may not be a bad thing.

Although the Esprit is quite a social creature - it will simply let you know if it feels like its not being shown enough attention (or money) by leaking fluids, busting gaskets, splitting hoses or similar. Each trip is an adventure. My last outing had me smoking when a few drops starting leaking from the Turbo oil-feed gasket.....

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Only that they're a nice red colour, and they're supposed to have an improved performance output at the top end than stock, although I'm sceptical of American manufacturer's performance claims unless I see hard evidence. I don't imagine there will be any noticeable difference in performance for street use on the Esprit, and I certainly didn't notice any when I drove it yesterday.

It's just part of my planned replacement of a lot of the peripheral 20-year old engine components which will give me a package of working spares, and I now have spare coil packs if I need them.

Margate Exotics.

Right, here's the 217-427 IAC, which has just arrived. I'm not hopeful, because it looks to me like there's a three-angle pintle on it. If you look at the original IAC, it doesn't have that as far as I can see. Proof will be when I fit it, and get to run the car. That might be Friday or Saturday.

If it's not the right one Barry, you can have it!

image_zpsuqzxg878.jpeg

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

Fitted the new IAC this afternoon. The engine was a bit lumpy to start with, before settling down at a high idle, and it idled as it should after it got warmed up. I gave it a good testing on the road, and all seems well.

This is odd, given the pintle shape difference. I'm a bit miffed that I'll never know if the 217-411 would have worked, what with it falling to pieces and all. I returned it for credit as faulty, at no charge to me, it's been accepted with no problems.

So, now it'll soon be time to pull it all to pieces again for the next stages of refurbishment, including the new rad-pack and a shedload of other stuff. I shall probably be adding posts to my engine/gearbox thread in due course. Someone's going to get a good car when I sell it.

Margate Exotics.