free hit
counters
86 S3 TURBO AERIAL - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Basically how do i get to it to replace it? Through the gap in the door or through the interior, some one has pulled it off! It's mounted on the nearside front wing.

Edited by Roger Moore

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tricky, but not an impossible mission. :lol:

There is a how-to-guide on LEW, I also used the speaker opening on top of the dashboard.

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

Crikey! First Iain Oglvie and now Roger Moore. Two versions of the Saint on one forum.

I do believe that the procedure for removing the aerial is different between the S1 and S3/Turbo so the answer will depend on which of your fine cars you are talking about. Here's a link to an earlier discussion on the subject

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Ciao,

JB

Erm - Ello Roger Moore - Saint here! :huh:

Am having mine replaced at present by those nice peeps at SJ Sportscars - but they tell me origimal aerial unit is no longer available - is this true??

Iain

"... the Lotus Turbo (Esprit) owner will not only be comfortable in fast company, but will find, more often than not, that he has no company at all!" Road and Track magazine

1983 Turbo Esprit - Silver - 'Lottie' Featured in Classic and Sportscar Aug 2008 and Wheeler Dealers.

1999 Elise - Norfolk Mustard - 'Liz' Daily driver - 221,000 miles and counting!

The original Aerial (or antenna as they say here) was made by National Panasonic.

I couldnt find a new one anywhere(or the parts to fix mine)

I replaced my broken (unrepairable one) with a small aftermarket one (sorry cant remember the manufacturers Chinese name), but I do know it has to be the exact same motor lenth and height as the original or it wont fit.

I went through 4 different ones before getting the present unit to fit (just)

It came from a place that sells surplus car parts (Princess Auto in Canada)

It is even more difficult to get them in on A/C equipped Esprits as the fat A/C hose runs up around the edge of the wheel housing :huh:

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

I think there is a difference between the S3 and earlier cars. The guide shows the aerial on the passenger side whereas my S2 has it on the driver's side well away from the A/C hoses. There's no easily-removed panel to assist access to the aerial either.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

I think there is a difference between the S3 and earlier cars. The guide shows the aerial on the passenger side whereas my S2 has it on the driver's side well away from the A/C hoses. There's no easily-removed panel to assist access to the aerial either.

Couldn't it just be that your's a LHD??? :):)

Ciao,

JB

Basically how do i get to it to replace it? Through the gap in the door or through the interior, some one has pulled it off! It's mounted on the nearside front wing.

I have just removed mine from the drivers side wing, i had to remove the door to get it out. the service manual does state that on later cars (chassis number stated) had a removable panel on the inside to access the ariel all others have to remove the door.

Get a friend to held it aint fun on your own.

Mines a 1983 and the aerial (mounted on my pass side, your drivers side) came out without removing the door.

You have to remove the leather covered plug and peel back the carpet on the kick panel (after taking the glove box out) and you will find a hole in the fiberglass panel that doesnt look big enough to remove the aerial, but is.

Honest! :)

Just thought on a RHD Esprit the dash gauge cluster is in the way, that might be a problem! :)

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

Mine's a RHD, aerial and a/c tubes on the pass. (left side)

can be exchanged through the opening after removing the kick-panel as Wayne stated.

I have also removed the dash speaker and used the cut-out to align the aerial

Ciao,

JB

Mine's a RHD, aerial and a/c tubes on the pass. (left side)

can be exchanged through the opening after removing the kick-panel as Wayne stated.

I have also removed the dash speaker and used the cut-out to align the aerial

Hmmmm :D I couldn't fine it....

Still its out now :o

Its going to be replaced with an internal invisible one and the mounting hole filled :D

Hmmmm :D I couldn't fine it....

Still its out now :P

Its going to be replaced with an internal invisible one and the mounting hole filled :P

If it's just removing...I think this could be done by the speaker opening. :P

But I have to admit the position of the original antenna is not the best choice, the Stevens' one looks smarter...

Ciao,

JB