free hit
counters
Has anyone had any experience of... - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Has anyone had any experience of...

Has anyone any knowledge of replacing the running gear (gearbox, linkages etc) and engine from a later EFI chargecooled Esprit into an older NA carbed car?

Is it possible, are there pitfalls, any ideas on labour req etc?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone any knowledge of replacing the running gear (gearbox, linkages etc) and engine from a later EFI chargecooled Esprit into an older NA carbed car?

Is it possible, are there pitfalls, any ideas on labour req etc?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is the N/A and SE running gear different?

Is the N/A and SE running gear different?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The older N/A cars as well as the all G body cars and the 88 S body car all use the Citroen transmission. They also have inboard rear brakes. So any attempt to use the 89 and later transmission the rear brakes will also have to be changed over.

The SE engine should be able to mate to early Citroen transmission but I think it is weaker than the Renault tranny of the later cars which is weak enough as it is. Can the clutch in the Citroen box take the extra power is a good question too. Especially if you decide to one day chip swap.

Of course the ECU and the required sensors will need to be installed as well.

I would think that it would be easier if the shift linkage was transfered too as it seems easier if the Renault box was used.

Plumbing is required for the chargecooler coolant and radiator must be added upfront. Some people use the A/C core for the chargecooler radiator and opt to lose the A/C. Oil cooler might have to be added as the SE engine also uses the oil to help keep things cool.

It is advised that the later model stronger engine mounts be used. Stiffer springs and dampers might be a good idea for the added weight of the SE

Edited by CNH
The older N/A cars as well as the all G body cars and the 88 S body car all use the Citroen transmission. They also have inboard rear brakes. So any attempt to use the 89 and later transmission the rear brakes will also have to be changed over.

Ah,

I knew some federal Stevens cars still carried the Citroen/Maserati box,

But i thought all domestic Stevens cars had the renualt transaxle and outboard discs. Guess i was wrong!

bibs post makes more sense now... :P

Ah,

I knew some federal Stevens cars still carried the Citroen/Maserati box,

But i thought all domestic Stevens cars had the renualt transaxle and outboard discs. Guess i was wrong!

bibs post makes more sense now...  :ph34r:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It was only that one year that the Stevens had the older tranny. The 89 non-chargecooled Delco EFI Esprit switched to the Renault tranny. Outwardly the 88 and 89 are similar in body style but can is easy to spot by Esprit people as the rear wheels are offset giving deep dish wheel look of the 88. The 89 wheels look like the SE rear wheels because of the rear outboard brake rotors. I have been gettting reports of those SE crate engines once sold for 5K USD being installed into older cars. 2 of the engines have been purchased by Lotus owners in my area. One of the engines is slated to installed into a 83 turbo car when the present motor gets too tired and worn. Imagine a lighter G car with a power of an SE. That will be one fast car. The worry is if the older Citroen box can handle the SE power and if the SE ECU is chipped may futher aggravate the weak box problem.

My car is an 88 but it's got a Renault box with the outboard brakes which I believe are Toyota sourced. The upgrade on the running gear would be the newer shifting mech and that's about it to be fair. I guess the biggest worry would adding be the loom and ecu etc...

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

There's a lot to be said about turbo's and chippable ECU's and I even hear some of it is good :ph34r:

Evora NA

My car is an 88 but it's got a Renault box with the outboard brakes which I believe are Toyota sourced. The upgrade on the running gear would be the newer shifting mech and that's about it to be fair. I guess the biggest worry would adding be the loom and ecu etc...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know for sure the front brakes are from a supra as a few have installed the KVR drilled or slotted rotors.

The rear brakes are Girling units.

Other than the ECU and the pack located in the rear trunk wall. The other major job will be plumbing the chargecooler to a front radiator core that the 88's do not have.

Chargecooled cars are more dynamic to changes and faster to do it than a carbed car. Some even have installed a dual chip set up with a switch. I had converstaion with Sanj at one time a year or two ago. While this is not a switch on the fly and will have to be done while the car is off it would be handy.

Yup, no cc rad so that will have to be done. I'd imagine I'd need some work on the binnacle too or I'd never get to see my new CEL on all the time :ph34r:

Evora NA

You may need to change the fuel tanks as well. Do the SE's have baffles???

Cheers

Excuse my ignorance Alan but what difference does this make?

Evora NA

Excuse my ignorance Alan but what difference does this make?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I suppose the right fuel tank side has the twin fuel pumps for the high PSI the fuel rail needs. He probably worded wrong, at least that was what I would think he meant. After all what possible difference would baffles make other than to keep fuel from splashing around.

Calvin

Bibs, thinking of dumping your Dellortos, Constant Energy etc, are you turning into a phillistine?  :ph34r:  You will be better of buying an SE :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was sort of thinking the same thing a nice SP300/S4s. Easy to work on and nearly V8 performance