free hit
counters
Deleting centre silencer. - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Deleting centre silencer.

I have a stainless steel exhaust on the Elite (Falcon make), when i got the car last year the exhaust was blowing from every joint, i stripped it all off, cleaned all the joints and re-fitted with new clamps and assembly paste. This year it's blowing again at the joints at either end of the centre box <_<, just cant get it to seal.

What i'm thinking about doing is replacing the centre box with a bit of fabricated straight pipe section (using Jetex universal bits), the idea behind this is i'll weld it all together eliminating the joints, the only joints left will be at the rear silencers and these are fine.

Reason for not just welding in the centre box is that i cant weld Stainless steel.

Wondering if anyone else has done this and how it turned out  ? (i expect the car to be noisier) or has anyone else had problems getting a Stainless system to seal.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Not sure if the noise (or potentially increased emissions?) would cause a problem with MOT?

Do MOT testers test for Db - I know IVA testers do?

Would gaskets help? http://exhaustpartsuk.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=74

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

16 minutes ago, oilmagnet477 said:

Also need to consider back pressure - this would be impacted by removing centre box........

Don't know if we can link to other forums here but there's a good talk about back pressure here on DSM Tuners:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/exhaust-the-straight-scoop-on-backpressure.168578/

I've done it on the Panther, took the center box out, replaced it with straight through flex pipe and with two cherry bombs out the arse end. Gives her a nice growl on tick over and a raucous rumble at the top end. 

3 hours ago, CharlieCroker said:

I've done it on the Panther, took the center box out, replaced it with straight through flex pipe and with two cherry bombs out the arse end. Gives her a nice growl on tick over and a raucous rumble at the top end. 

Cheers Charlie, that's what i wanted to hear, knew you were running Cherry bombs at the back but did'nt know you deleated your centre box.

Cheers for the link Ant but exhaust was leaking at the slip joints so no gaskets, just assembly paste, i suspect the pipes were ovaled so not sealing so no matter how tight the clamps were or how much paste used would still blow (which is an MOT fail)

Regarding the MOT i think MOT testers use ear only if they suspect the exhaust has been modified, my Land Rover has a straight through pipe (no silencers or cat, just an open pipe from the Turbo) passed the MOT fine and it's pretty loud, Diesels dont require silencers or cats for the MOT.

Back pressure wont be an issue, would be if i was using something rediculous like 3" pipe but i'm retaining the standard diameter, 2,1/4" front and 1.5" rear pipes.

Will get the bits ordered and let you all know how it goes B-)

• Like 1

Back pressure? My Excel centre box is straight through. so no back pressure there I have a brand new Lotus centre box and its the same..

I replaced my Triumph TR3 centre box with a straight pipe and it made no perceivable difference at all, including the noise

• Like 1