free hit
counters
21st August 2016 - the Royal Deeside Speed Festival *New Event for NE Scotland* - Topics - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

21st August 2016 - the Royal Deeside Speed Festival *New Event for NE Scotland*

Some of you may have heard about a new event which is being planned for 2016 - the "Royal Deeside Speed Festival".

Its an event which has taken quite some time to procreate, but I am hopeful that it will become a regular on the motoring calender. The event will be held on Sunday 21st August 2016 to avoid clashes with other local Aberdeenshire/ Deeside events (such as the popular highland games in Aboyne and Braemar!) and shall be hosted at "Kincardine Castle" which is situated between Banchory and Aboyne on the main A93 trunk road to Perth.

There is already a healthy thread ongoing at Scottishelises.com http://www.scottishelises.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=41174 and you can also follow us on Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/#!/royaldeesidespeedfestival/.

The main feature of this event will be a non-competitive hillclimb - open to all cars and all drivers who wish to take part. The event will be run under an IOPD permit meaning that drivers are free to drive as fast (or as slow) up the magnificent castle's driveway to the delight of the cheering crowd! Pre-registration has been open for about 1 week and already we have recieved over 150 requests for entry forms.

Additionally there will be a large area dedicated to club stands and individual static displays. We have already had alot of interest from local and national clubs including Ferrari/ Ford/ Audi/ Triumph/ Subaru/ Aston Martin and Porsche.

It is not the aim of this event to restrict entries to 1 of a particular car type. We want everyone to be able to come along and enjoy the event together. Of course, we will have to eventually place a maximum ceiling cap on entrants, but for now we are managing this.

Feedback thus far has been very positive and as organisers we hope to bring something a bit different to Aberdeenshire. Lets suggest for a second that we would ultimately like to create a "CarFest" or "Good Wood FOS" for Scotland over 2 days. We already have the backing of some major manufacturers who will be attending the event, along with some exciting small motoring related trade stands. We are also working on bringing a forest Rally-SS to the event and additionally hope to offer passengers the opportunity to ride shotgun on a specially developed offroad 4x4 course as well. As we value supporting the local community we will be holding a local food & drink festival in the Castle's walled garden and for the kids we will host a very special "Soapbox Derby" along with other entertainment and a few surprises!

Previous entrants to SpeedFest '14 and SpeedFest '15 (which myself and my team organised) will be emailed shortly and asked if they would like an entry form. It would be a huge thrill to me if LEGS came to this fantastic magical venue to support this new event as I would also be able to park my car on the stand! (hopefully?)

If anybody would like any further information, then please feel free to PM me or comment below. Much of my life is now devoted to bringing a great family fun event to Royal Deeside, and all I can ask for is the support of kindred spirits such as yourselves to enable it to be a success.

Cheers, Tony.

ps. the elephant in the room.... Yes, we did organise SpeedFest '14 and '15 on behalf of the Museum but NO we are not doing so for '16 onwards. We decided we wanted to do something different and the GTM support that. We wish them all the best for SpeedFest '16 as I know they wish us well in our new endeavours.

Edited by anthonyyule
  • Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh, go on then Al. Since you asked nicely, I'd be willing to coordinate the entries for this if you like. All my military training right out the window - that's twice now in under a year that I'v

Some of you may have heard about a new event which is being planned for 2016 - the "Royal Deeside Speed Festival". Its an event which has taken quite some time to procreate, but I am hopeful that

Hi guys, this sounds good. Like many others, due to the industry I work in I will be away from home but Wendy is more than willing to forward all the details of the event to our members through Club L

• Al. pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

A few more details of this event are now available and something that Brian & I hadn't appreciated, was if anybody wishes to be there and just show their car and not be actually on the hill - and I know a few are intending to be on the hill/driveway - we have to submit an application for a stand.  Unfortunately for the way we tend to be in our organisation I am afraid it is a put your money where your mouth is with this one and not just a turn up on the day.  Obviously Tony & Co need to be able to plan layout / areas and sizes of stands so it is only to be expected.  People taking cars out on the hill will be parked separately I believe. Tony Yule and myself have been corresponding regards this and some of the chat is below.  Tony himself may wish to add to this.  I know that Brandon is taking a trade stand this year so our cars being present will help his case promote Lotus, and helping his case, helps all our cases if a Lotus owner, as we want to see them thrive.

Im sorry that I wasn't clearer in the LEGS post about pulling together a stand. I guess I didn't consider the need at the time of writing the original post. This Event is COMPLETELY different to Speedfest in every possible way. For starters there is absolutely no requirement to "strategically" name and describe your car because we do not limit entries to "one unique entry". Secondly the space which we have available to us means that we can actually have full Club representation - all clubs will be parked together in a configuration of their own choosing - complete with flags/ banners/ tables of freebies - whatever the Club wants to do to attract people to visit them and enjoy their display. At the time of writing the original LEGS post I didn't expect the interest from Clubs - but as the enquiries came in I actually went back to the Laird at the Castle and asked to hire more land to accommodate everybody. I probably should have updated the LEGS post.

I have taken it on myself to try and organise a stand (mainly because I would like somewhere to park my own car!) - but it is really adding to my workload (which I can't really afford to do because I have so much else to organise). If somebody was willing to pull together a stand it would be great.....

BTW - entry on the day will be the same as SpeedFest '15 - £15 per person..... so a Club (or individual) static entry represents good value at £15 for 2 people...... maybe worth mentioning because if anybody had been thinking about "just coming along on the day" then they would save some money by pre-booking with the Club and taking a pal along with them :)

Personally I think it would be better to have all the various Scottish Lotus 'clubs' together on the one stand for maximum impact even if we somehow differentiate on the day within the stand.  I will post up on SE as well as CLNES and will discuss with the CL Central Scotland group at this Wednesday's club meeting.  As Brian & I are both away for this one it would be good if somebody would like to step up to the mark and take on an organising role in this as it involves collecting some dosh and filling in an application form I have and can forward.  This needs to be done and submitted by 1st May.  Anybody out there willing to do this?  I also suggest that we will use this one location for all the stand type chats not spread all over the internet which I know is a nightmare to collate.

Cheers,

Al.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

Kieran, here is Tony's Official e-mail address for the event.  [email protected] which may be a better way of getting hold of him.

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

Even though I won't be at the event I would have been happy to do the organising however I will be in New Zealand & Australia for 2 months from end of February in a motor home so not sure if I will have reliable broadband.

• Gold FFM

Oh, go on then Al. Since you asked nicely, I'd be willing to coordinate the entries for this if you like.

All my military training right out the window - that's twice now in under a year that I've stuck my head above the parapet and volunteered for something.

• Like 2
  • Gold FFM

Hi guys, this sounds good. Like many others, due to the industry I work in I will be away from home but Wendy is more than willing to forward all the details of the event to our members through Club Lotus North East Scotland and update as required. My only concern would be duplication of entrants with so many of our guys having joint membership in the various clubs. Ping Wendy on our club email account and she will do what she can to help. 

[email protected]

• Like 1

That's what I love. A volunteer - even if I did ambush you on the day and leave you little chance to escape. :ph34r: Thanks David.  I will forward you the application form and we will make sure you get the flags for the event.

I have actually just tried to read this thread on my phone and I see the font I used to differentiate the text a few posts ago from Tony was almost unreadable so here it is again in 'Arial'.  

I'm sorry that I wasn't clearer in the LEGS post about pulling together a stand. I guess I didn't consider the need at the time of writing the original post. This Event is COMPLETELY different to Speedfest in every possible way. For starters there is absolutely no requirement to "strategically" name and describe your car because we do not limit entries to "one unique entry". Secondly the space which we have available to us means that we can actually have full Club representation - all clubs will be parked together in a configuration of their own choosing - complete with flags/ banners/ tables of freebies - whatever the Club wants to do to attract people to visit them and enjoy their display. At the time of writing the original LEGS post I didn't expect the interest from Clubs - but as the enquiries came in I actually went back to the Laird at the Castle and asked to hire more land to accommodate everybody. I probably should have updated the LEGS post.

I have taken it on myself to try and organise a stand (mainly because I would like somewhere to park my own car!) - but it is really adding to my workload (which I can't really afford to do because I have so much else to organise). If somebody was willing to pull together a stand it would be great.....

BTW - entry on the day will be the same as SpeedFest '15 - £15 per person..... so a Club (or individual) static entry represents good value at £15 for 2 people...... maybe worth mentioning because if anybody had been thinking about "just coming along on the day" then they would save some money by pre-booking with the Club and taking a pal along with them :)

So there you have it folks.  We will keep this thread open and pinned and hand over the reins to David who can hopefully pull it all together with enough cars represented to look impressive.  Only real downside is putting your hand in your pocket some months in advance.

• 2 months later...

Hi Anthony,

I would like to register for the event and do the hillclimb. Can you please let me know where I can find the application form and regs?

Thanks,

Gerry

• Gold FFM

Hi Gerard

I'm coordinating the Lotus entries for this event so I'll reply on  Tony's behalf. Unfortunately, the entry list for the hillclimb is now closed as it was quite quickly oversubscribed. Places are still available, however, on the club static display stand - if you're interested in that, you can put your name down via the link below and I'll add it to our official entry.

• 3 weeks later...

Exciting new motoring festival heads to Deeside

Royal Deeside Speed Festival

Enthusiasts will be heading to Aberdeenshire for the inaugural Royal Deeside Speed Festival, to be thrilled by the largest gathering of rare supercars, exciting performance cars, motorbikes, and historic racing cars in the north east of Scotland. The Royal Deeside Speed Festival will take place at Kincardine Castle, 20 miles to the west of Aberdeen. The event will be based around a demonstration speed hillclimb, and complemented by a range of high quality trade stands and motoring attractions.  The Royal Deeside Speed Festival will follow the ethos of the Goodwood Festival of Speed and Cholmondeley Pageant of Power.

The venue, an iconic Scottish castle in the heart of Royal Deeside, is home to Andrew and Nicky Bradford. Situated in the pretty conservation village of Kincardine O’Neil and overlooking the banks of the River Dee, it is only 10mins from Banchory on the A93. The picturesque castle grounds will also play host to car clubs along with a local food, drink and craft festival. As well as the motorsports action we will have family attractions, a climbing tower and kids’ funfair.  We will be supporting the charities Mission Motorsport, Help for Heroes and Children 1st.

However, the main focus of the day will be the fabulous and fast ‘West Drive’ – which will be converted into Deeside’s first speed hillclimb course, designed by Scottish hillclimb legend Roy Napier, and featuring a series of demonstration class runs throughout the day. And in another new twist, the West Drive will also play host to a Soap Box Derby – an event open to teams who wish to build their own Soap Box and race down the hill for glory!

Key attractions this year include Aberdeenshire’s charismatic race driver Chris Chilcott who will be bringing his 1962 Brabham BT2. It raced in 1962 at Goodwood and Monaco, driven by Jack Brabham and Frank Gardner, and took the class Silverstone lap record at 103mph. Also Charlie Williams, multiple TT-winning motorbike racing legend. With 21 TT podium finishes to his name, Charlie is bringing bikes. Onsite there will also be an adventurous off-road 4x4 course including the fearsome 'Willie's Drop', courtesy of Land Rover Experience Scotland, offering passenger rides throughout the day, and The Clan BMX stunt team will entertain with their crazy extreme cycling show.

We have a large club stand field, along with a separate concours d’elegance area, both will surely delight the public and the owners alike.  A broad cross-section of fantastic cars, ranging from the Bugatti Veyron, Ferrari F50, and Lamborghini Diablo through to the Shelby Cobra 286, 1969 wide-dash body Opal GT and Jaguar E-type Series 1 Roadster will be on show.  In total there will be over 50 static exhibits to marvel over.  Additionally, the Ferrari Owners’ Club, Ford Modern & Classic Scotland, Aberdeen MG Owners’ Club, Aston Martin OC, and the Scottish Subaru OC are just some of the clubs that have confirmed their attendance – with over 170 club cars now confirmed to be on display.  This could quite possibly be the most unique and exciting collection of vehicles ever brought together in Aberdeenshire, highlighting the diversity of classic, contemporary and interesting cars, street-legal or competition, which we have here in the north east of Scotland.

Amongst the many dealerships and trade-stands that we are excited to have attending the event, we are delighted to welcome back Park’s Motor Group of Hamilton who will be showcasing a collection of luxury and sports cars from McLaren, Maserati and Bentley; Murray Motor Group will be displaying the Lotus range; we welcome Pentland Land Rover Elgin who are excited to show off some fantastic Land Rovers, and Shirlaws of Aberdeen will provide two-wheel excitement from Kawasaki and Triumph.

Finally, in addition to the car related exhibitors, we are delighted to be able to use the event as a showcase for local producers of food, drink and crafts.  Deeside Brewery will be hosting a mini beer festival on the castle terrace alongside the castle's own pop-up café, and the picturesque wall garden is the setting for a market of local produce.

Castle owner, Andrew Bradford writes “I first did ‘a ton’ on the drive when I was 15 in a friend’s MGC. A couple of years later I was the passenger in a V8 AC Cobra and clocked 115mph on the drive. For over 40 years that has been the unofficial speed record for our drive and I look forward to it being well-and-truly broken in August. We’re excited to be part of this major event which, quite possibly, will be the biggest crowd in Kincardine O’Neil since King Edward I of England arrived here on 2 August 1296 with 30,000 men-at-arms and 5,000 mail-clad knights”.

Royal Deeside Speed Festival, Sun 21 August 2016:  09:45am- 5:15pm   
Kincardine Castle, Kincardine O’Neil, Aboyne, Aberdeenshire AB34 5AE

Adult £15, Child £12.50, Family £50 (up to 3 children).  Advance sales via website or cash only tickets on the gate.

Free parking.  

For further information please visit our website rdsf.co.uk or follow us on Facebook (royaldeesidespeedfestival).

http://shoutout.wix.com/so/7LJ3ydpy?cid=a2a49645-0f78-41dd-af3b-1087a8338dfc#/main

Edited by anthonyyule
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2016 at 18:13, Ally said:

I'll be there. Just bought a 2015 Exige S. Live in Milltimber if anyone funcys a run.

Hi Ally

I will be heading out from Aberdeen. Happy to convoy out together. 

Stewart

• 4 weeks later...