free hit
counters
Solenoid removal - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Solenoid removal

Yellow Peril

(Apologies if in wrong thread)

Having blocked off the EBPV valve and throttle jacking solenoid vacuum lines, I want to know if the solenoid so actually need to be still connected? Does the ECU detect "not present" if you remove them completely?

I'm considering using one of the ECU feeds to drive the relay for the electric charge cooler pump.

Alternative,y if they must stay connected to the ECU is there any reason why I shouldn't simplify the vacuum lines and just go direct to the heather controls feed line?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I forgot to reconnect one of the solenoids after having the boot floor out. Gave me a "check engine" light, have an MY90 SE
I removed as much as I could of the vaacum hoses. You could connect the chargecooler pump after the solenoid...

connect.JPG.862138f2358904dcc36174688e3d
It will run when you turn ignition on but stop until engine gets warm. Think there is more on this in another thread here.

========================================
Torque times RPM equals horsepower!

I forgot to reconnect one of the solenoids after having the boot floor out. Gave me a "check engine" light, have an MY90 SE

Yep, same here.

You could connect the chargecooler pump after the solenoid...

I recall putting mine in parallel with the EBPV solenoid (after the solenoid relay), like this.

CC Pump Circuit

Can't remember where I put the earth wire, though.

Edited by Qavion
Link not working properly

The ECU needs to "see" the solenoid otherwise it will throw you a CEL (error 26 if I'm right).

Perhaps it is possible to replace the solenoid by a relay (of the same impedance / resistance) so you can use the relay for the electric CC pump.

Esprit Freak

• Gold FFM

Actually, the ECU isn't directly connected to the solenoids for the EBPV and throttle jack, only to the wastegate solenoid. EBPV and throttle jack are powered via the solenoid relay. If this relay is removed, the ECU will give code 26. But the solenoids themselves can be completely removed, as I did (on a '89 and '90 SE). Including simplifying the vacuum distribution to just the brake servo (on non-ABS cars) and ventilation. I also experimented with removing the relays for solenoid and A/C and replacing them with a 50 Ohm resistance to allow the ECU check. This did work, but it's easier to just keep the relays in place as onboard spare or for an electrical chargecooler pump. 

Filip

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Think you are absolutely right there Escape, I confused the solenoids for the relays (since the relay also includes a solenoid).

I think Travis has posted a circuit diagram on how he connected the chargecooler pump. Think there is a fuse and relay that can handle the current
to a pump in the EBPV-circuit. Couldn't find it right now but do some searching here on the forums and I'm sure you'll find it.

========================================
Torque times RPM equals horsepower!

• Gold FFM

Exactly. The solenoid relay has a 10A fuse (shared with the wastegate and purge cannister solenoid) and can be used to power an electrical pump instead of the EBPV. The throttle jack can be dismissed all together. Not sure if there really are benefits to delaying the electrical pump until the engine has reached a certain temperature, but it does make for a clean install.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

I'm going to remove the two solenoids and their vacuum hoses, keeping vacuum just for the ventilation stuff. The EBPV and throttle jack are coming off anyway so they will be redundant.

And then wire in my chargecooler to that relay as per Travi's circuit diagram.

Many thanks all

1 hour ago, Escape said:

Exactly. The solenoid relay has a 10A fuse (shared with the wastegate and purge cannister solenoid) and can be used to power an electrical pump instead of the EBPV. The throttle jack can be dismissed all together. Not sure if there really are benefits to delaying the electrical pump until the engine has reached a certain temperature, but it does make for a clean install.

I think there is the assumption that the engine doesn't really need chargecooling until it's properly warm, and if not, then the lack of coolant flow in the charge-cooler means the engine warms up quicker, which is beneficial.

Margate Exotics.