free hit
counters
End of My much loved Evora - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

End of My much loved Evora

rlongthorn

It is with a very heavy heart I have to report to you guys that my Evora S is no more.

By my own admission I haven't participated much on this forum much since the purchase of my car, Although I have spent many hours reading through posts of various topics from trying to sort out problems to just plain boasting about how much we love these lotus's.

I have done this because I have Enjoyed reading about other peoples experiances with the little lotus with a big heart, A car with quite a few quibbles that myself and so many of you are willing to look past just because we love the car so much, the enjoyment of driving it and I'm almost ashamed to admit that in a schoolboy fashion I love peoples reactions to it parked up or driving by.

This weekend I fear was the last outing for my amazing Evora, driving on an A road approaching the brow of a hill my car met its match in the form of a Ford C-Max coming in the other direction. Veering slightly onto my side of the road The C-Max clipped my cars rear end and because of the flared rear wheel arches collected the rear right wheel and pushed it through the rear of the car.

This basically made me a passenger in the following seconds, I shot to the other side of the road and along the grass verge for around 10-20 metres, and then nose first into a 10FT deep drainage ditch where the nose dug into the soft mud deploying the airbags and flipping the car end over nose and coming to a rest.

I hung upside down in the car for some time unconscious, my first memories are climbing up to the top of the ditch and looking back at the car three wheels in the air thinking oh F****. I checked myself over and the only pain I had was from the nettle stings on my hands from climbing up the ditch, Amazed as to how I had got through that unscathed I was guided into an ambulance that had just arrived on scene for a check up.

Looking back at how well my Evora not only took the impact of a car on a national speed limit road with a potential closing speed of 120, it then protected me through another 20 meters of hell, a 10 FT sheer drop and a flip onto its roof. My car is a testament to not only how well Lotus have designed the Evora but also how well built a hand made car in the UK really is! I will remain forever grateful to the workers at the factory who put my car together in such a way that it stood up to such a massive double impact and did its main job - Protecting me so very well! if any of you guys read this - Thank you!!

My only injury's remain to be nettle stings, (and a concussion from rapid deceleration), If by some miracle my car is repaired or a replacement lotus appears on my drive courtesy of my nice insurance company I will never look at an Evora the same way, Engine warning lights, awkward gear changes.. not a chance. Ill see it for what it really is. A well built amazingly tuned driving machine that saved my life.

I am convinced if I was driving anything else I probably would not be writing this post today.

I have attached some pictures as to what the poor Evora looks like. I hope to be behind the wheel of another lotus again soon.

Thanks guys! - Stay safe.

Ryan

IMG_6850.JPG

IMG_6853.JPG

IMG_6854.JPG

IMG_6855.JPG

IMG_6857.JPG

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thankfully and most importantly Ryan you walked away without serious injury from one of the worst collision scenarios.

The Evora has done its job and protected you which is exactly what it's made to do.

The road conditions lately have been horrible, 

what car next? As this one is doubtful to be repaired,

Yep, it's well and truly broke.

But you ain't Ryan, that's all that matters.

Lucky chap, in an unlucky sort of way. You drove the dream though.

Dave.

• Gold FFM

That must have been a deeply unpleasant experience. 

Literally walking away after that must have felt nothing short of miraculous.

I'm guessing theC-Max owner stopped and the insurance claim is a no brainer? 

Thanks for posting and sharing your thoughts. 

Good luck and a speedy recovery. 

Ouch, glad you're ok!

On Order: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

• Gold FFM

Very sad to read about the accident, luckily the Evora kept the important 'soft bits' inside protected!

I hope the insurance doesn't take to long and you soon find yourself behind the wheel of another Lotus.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Glad you're ok Ryan. Looking at the roof, it doesn't even look like it flipped over. Car did well.

Hope you don't get too many lingering bruises etc. :thumbup:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

• Gold FFM

Ryan, really glad you're OK and irrespective of fault hope the C-Max driver/passengers were Ok too as I'm sure that also looks a mess.

Hopefully they will not play silly buggers and the "claim" will see you back on the road, in a superbly built hand made British car! :)

All the best

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Ouch! Glad you're ok mate, if you need a hand with insurance valuations or repairs, just say :) 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Sorry to see the car like that but very relieved you're OK and that the car did such a good job of protecting you.

Thanks for posting all about it.

Oh no mate very sorry to see this, glad your OK that's the main thing! Hopefully the insurance will soon cough up and then its shopping time :) 

Oh well another car for DV then ... :( 

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400

So sorry to see she's gone but very happy to see you are ok mate. I hope his Insurance company accept liability and you get to get another Evora.

Like you say, driving a Lotus is much more than just sheer driving pleasure. We have so many members who have had serious accidents in Lotus's of all models and walked away. 

Keep us in touch with what you are looking at next!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, Colin G said:

Last night I was trying to decide if I should get a dash cam for the Evora, this kind of clarifies how good an idea they are.

I've just gone and bought one, this thread convinced me. Checked out reviews and went for this as it was the Auto Express top dashcam for 2015 and a good price (some were more than twice the price).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-DrivePro-Video-Recorder-Built-/dp/B00GRYT5QI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1449060161&sr=8-2&keywords=transcend+200

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

I can sympathise with you there Ryan, reminds of when the wife parked the Elan in a ditch after hitting black ice.

Not quite as bad as your experience but the poor little thing never came back home again. (the car I mean)

chipp 

IMGP0118.JPG