free hit
counters
JLR to buy Silverstone? - Motorsport & Trackdays - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
oneshot

JLR to buy Silverstone?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hope so, or else the Welsh one being built will snaffle all the business.

Eeeeek.  If JLR were to aquire Silverstone, we risk losing an excellent Lotus dealership!

On ‎05‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 17:26, Royal said:

Hope so, or else the Welsh one being built will snaffle all the business.

I live within 30 mins of the Ebbw Vale track. I am convinced it will be a white elephant.

Wrong place wrong time.

2 hours ago, Frickin_idiot said:

I live within 30 mins of the Ebbw Vale track. I am convinced it will be a white elephant.

Wrong place wrong time.

They'll build it. Then the local council will let a developer build a load of houses around it. Then the residents will complain it's too noisy (doh, by a house near a race track and complain you hear cars - double doh! by a house under a flightpath and by an airport and complain about plane noises) so it will get shut down. In the UK we call this forward strategic planning (build it) and then social justice (stop it being used). We never mention the millions wasted.

• Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

4 hours ago, C8RKH said:

They'll build it. Then the local council will let a developer build a load of houses around it. Then the residents will complain it's too noisy (doh, by a house near a race track and complain you hear cars - double doh! ... complain about plane noises) 

That would be totally pathetic. There was a petition regarding a race track creating too much noise from the locals

That's happened at every circuit in the UK, NIMBY's they're called. They hope that by curtailing the track activities, their houses will be worth more.

I tried to book a full Red Arrows display for the Lotus Festival this year but local residents have said no to fast jet displayed at Brands Hatch. What sort of idiot doesn't want a free Red Arrows display from their back garden?!

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Yup @C8RKH it stinks round here when they clean out the cow sheds....... Noisy when the hunts out.....and at harvest 0500-2300 combining

[email protected] to them all when I Rev up the car on Sunday at 0845!!!

Only here once

Is it running now then Barry?  Good show old chap  -  meeeeeooooowwwwww, the sound of me running for cover.... ;)

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

Not just yet - it's just a matter or a couple of weeks now.....

• Like 1

Only here once

On 20/03/2016 at 21:21, C8RKH said:

It's the same with people who move to the country and complain about farm smells, animal noises and tractors/combines in the fields at 0600 in the morning (yeah, my local farmers a lazy git, not in the field till 0600..... :) )

My neighbour is in the fields 24/7 - he was bailing hay at 2:30 in the morning one year!

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

What's the infrastructure like around this track in Wales?

I have never been a big fan of Silverstone but it is at least in the (geographical) middle of the country, sort of, and is within easy reach of Milton Keynes - where half the F1 grid seems to be based (or is it more?)

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

Infrastructure in the area has been greatly improved of recent times through what appears to be a bottomless pot of money. It is clear to see why, with local agencies throwing money  around companies are considering locating in the area.

Some of the highlights

£2.5 million for a cable car traversing an elevation of 23m only.

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/13341850.Vandals_force_Ebbw_Vale_cable_car_to_close_just_a_week_after_opening/

New Railway Station

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-32763804

£15 million pound leisure centre

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/10650932.Ebbw_Vale__39_s_new_leisure_centre_opens/

£52 million pound school

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebbw_Fawr_Learning_Community

Old Steelworks regenerated with £350 million pound project

£34 million pound hospital - first 100% single occupancy room NHS hospital in the UK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ysbyty_Aneurin_Bevan

I am vehemently against the new track, claims of 6,000 jobs appear more than optimistic and I fail to see how it can ever be a commercial success.

• Like 1

What confuses me greatly is I could swear I read Silverstone had previously asked for government help only to be told that the government "does not and will not fund race circuits". I presume this new venture has been done under the guise of expanding enterprise or some nonsense?

As much as I love race tracks I think in England we're fairly well saturated, unless you told me the new facility is going to have a load of no-noise-limit days I fail to see anything to get excited about.

• Like 2

James Martin (JayEmm)

I am all for development and inward investment in deprived area's, and believe me when I say Ebbw Vale IS deprived. That said, investment needs to be realistic and I find it abhorrent that local / national government help be given to a racetrack in direct competition with existing, established, internationally renowned circuits. The Welsh "Assembly" have raised concerns over the legality of providing financial assistance to the racetrack.

Would I recommend anyone visiting Ebbw Vale for a visit? Absolutely not. I can only imagine the carnage should race goers visit the "town" centre for a drink on a Friday or Saturday night. Welsh nationalism is rife and, being Welsh the sentiment is not something that I am particularly proud of.

A night out in Swansea with an English accent isn't always that much fun! 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Try walking into a cafe in Rhayader first thing in the morning and ordering a fry up.

you will suddenly find everyone else only speaks Welsh !!

• Like 1

Only here once

Considering the only thing I know about Swansea is the DVLA are there, I think I'm hardwired to automatically not like the place.

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

Perhaps I should clarify a little. I was born and bred not too far away from that particular area and there are a lot of decent people around but I have noticed a rise in welsh nationalism and it is not always linked with those people exhibiting the better aspects of their personalities in all cases.

I am sure that the majority of people would give a warm welcome to all visitors, my fear is for that sometimes vocal minority, who will display their less desirable characteristics especially after a few beers have been consumed.

I honestly do not believe that this would be an issue should the track have been located around Cardiff.

• Like 2

I think anywhere you get a large concentration of people and drinks are being consumed, a few will probably do something regrettable

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

2 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Shouldn't the Spanish Government fund all Moto GP tracks? Or just have all the races in Spain? Oh actually hang on a minute...

You could have an incredibly varied and exciting race season using exclusively tracks in England, France and Spain

James Martin (JayEmm)

17 hours ago, Frickin_idiot said:

Perhaps I should clarify a little. I was born and bred not too far away from that particular area and there are a lot of decent people around but I have noticed a rise in welsh nationalism and it is not always linked with those people exhibiting the better aspects of their personalities in all cases.

I am sure that the majority of people would give a warm welcome to all visitors, my fear is for that sometimes vocal minority, who will display their less desirable characteristics especially after a few beers have been consumed.

I honestly do not believe that this would be an issue should the track have been located around Cardiff.

I know what you mean exactly Kevin,  Some places in wales can be very offensive especially in northern Wales,  Hopefully it will be like south Wales, I used to spent a lot of weekends there in Dolgethly, very friendly people and always welcoming, as long as you did not buy a weekend retreat property there. :) Beutiful part of the world 

• Like 1

A

On 10/04/2016 at 15:45, Frickin_idiot said:

Would I recommend anyone visiting Ebbw Vale for a visit? Absolutely not. I can only imagine the carnage should race goers visit the "town" centre for a drink on a Friday or Saturday night. Welsh nationalism is rife and, being Welsh the sentiment is not something that I am particularly proud of.

I'm with you there.  Left Newport at 18 and it saddens me just how one-eyed people have become.  There's nothing wrong with a bit of banter, especially around the Six Nations, but some of the dumb-arse comments you hear are just plain embarrassing to be honest.

You raise some interesting points re the investment already made.  The M4 corridor from Newport westwards is littered with the results of capital investment projects that haven't stood the test of time and turned out to be unsustainable long term.  

Slightly OT, but here's a personal NIMBY story to make you all laugh (or maybe not):  The OH's Father worked at Hinkley Point Nuclear Power Station and is now retired.  Living in a village about 8 miles from "the point", he recently campaigned  against some wind turbines because, and I shit you not, "they leave concrete blocks in the ground that could take up to 40 years to degrade"...  Honestly, I am not making this up! 

Back OT, it's certainly not all rosy for the Ebbw Vale circuit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-36005494

I can't see why JLR would make this investment to be honest other than keeping up with the Benzes.  It originally sounded like a story for story's sake until you see just how much press it seems to be gathering, with all the indications being that it is pretty much a done deal, or certainly a lot more credible now the BRDC has voted in favour of it - albeit by a narrow margin.