free hit
counters
The Donald. - Page 27 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As one of the Americans who converses here, let me get this out of the way.  Whew.   YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY.       There are  many things to say and consider.  We won a big one.  It's scar

Congratulations USA 

But at least he didn't start a war, legal or otherwise like the previous Presidential trend before him. Every cloud and all that. I'm no Trump fan (to be honest reasonably ambivalent as it's your

Posted Images

Now it's officially Biden vs McConnell ! 

Good possibility of total legislative deadlock and another round of governance by executive order, without progress on any significant issues.

35 minutes ago, Loquacious Lew said:

As one of the Americans who converses here, let me get this out of the way.  Whew.   YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY.  

There are  many things to say and consider.  We won a big one.  It's scary   how many people still voted for the jerk but we have a convincing presidential victory by the usually applied standards..  It disappoints that we didn't take more Senate seats and lost a few in the House but you fellow humans in the outside world can honestly rejoice.  The President is responsible for foreign policy here which clearly is why ours has been so befuddled if not outright corrupt for the last four years. Biden will do much better by you and our friends. If we can ever travel again my wife and I can visit interesting places and enjoy strange and ancient customs while we hold our heads a bit higher than we did the last time.  

Today is a great relief for me, my family and most of my friends who really were very nervous about this.  We did feel our democracy, already in need of work, was imperiled to the breaking point.  You need a functioning government and if any proof is needed of that and how Trump burned us, we can look at all the people in the streets who weren't in the streets five years ago. The widely reported chaos that Trump tried to take advantage of was not nearly as widespread as he claimed but it did occur.  That's another story  for another time.

When and why do Trump and his minions suppose this massive unrest he speaks of was kindled?  Who do his believers blame for the deteriorated conditions of our social fabric during the last five years ?  Obama? Biden?  Me? We're all responsible for our own behavior of course, but how much better  to have a person to set the tone.  One who can grasp the desire and needs of the people, who understands something beyond power and money,  who at least observes the basic rules of dignity and polity so that something might be   wrought between those with disagreements who must still recognize common interests.  We have been without leadership  for four years and with a divided government for going on ten years.  

Trump poured fuel on the fire but now thank the fates, he is soon gone.  What damage he really did is yet to be discovered and how we pull  together as a reasonably cohesive people is a question everybody asks but we'll get along a lot better tomorrow than we were doing yesterday.

We're dancing and laughing here in Nashville Tennessee, which state by the way went for Trump. Well, "eventually we will do the right thing, having exhausted all other possibilities."  :)

Well said and God Bless America 🇺🇸 

Lets hope the Uk can head in the same direction sometime soon.

https://twitter.com/ianblackford_mp/status/1325142445961572354?s=21

• Like 1

So let's see if I understand this?

According to all of the Donalds, and others, there was no meddling from outside bodies when he won 4 years ago. But now, democratic postal votes are only legal if they make you win. If they cause you to lose, they should all be illegal so that you can continue on with your pseudo-dictatorship?

There are real reasons why people detest politics.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Son: "Dad, why is there very little history for the USA from 2016 to 2020?

Dad: "Fake president son. Fake president."

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

In the past,

Secret Service Agent Boss: "Morning. John & Bob, you are on POTUS today."

John & Bob (at the same time): "Isn't there something else we can do? Cut the Whitehouse lawn with scissors? Walk someone's dogs? Ohh hang on, we've got it. We retire."

Some things are just not worth taking a bullet for.

• Gold FFM

You have completely misinterpreted my post, where I spoke about the sentiments behind the messages. You ignored the parts about the institutional issues in the US.  It seems our troubles were over 3 decades ago but unfortunately for many Americans the troubles have never stopped and we look back at you thinking you're still very much stuck in the 50's. What did Obama really do about that?  My point is Presidents comes and go. Some are good and some are meh.  But the society in the US is not changing or has not changed and that is nothing to do with who the President is. 

• Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Golf course in Florida?

• Gold FFM

Golf course near Aberdeen more like it.

Good news is shares are jumping up all over the place. 15 months and can retire....

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

I just hope Biden looks after the American people and businesses. Biden's odds of dying in Office are terrible, not worth the bet. When your 2 candidates are 72 and 77 you have to wonder just how they manage to appeal to the people of America at all?  

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

• Gold FFM
12 hours ago, USAndretti42 said:

American citizens who live out of the country don't get to vote

I'm probably in the minority but am used to that :)  But, I actually believe that if you are "living" permanently outside of your country you should not get to vote UNLESS you are paying taxes back in your country.  I'm pretty sure (though not by any means certain) that US citizens do largely pay US taxes despite where they live, or something like that.

So in my mind, if you're British, but live in a tax haven and do not pay taxes here then simple. No vote.  If you're retired and live in Spain, then no vote. Etc. But then I am pretty red and blue about these things (trying to be PC by not using other colours).

To keep on topic, a lot of people voted for Trump because he was the Republican candidate and they could never bring themselves to vote Democratic. We have similar muppets over here, I mean, why else did they vote for Corbyn at the last election? It could hardly have been about his policies, no, it was the colour of his ticket. It surely cannot be that hard to understand this "loyalty" to a party as opposed to a leader.

4 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

So in my mind, if you're British, but live in a tax haven and do not pay taxes here then simple. No vote.  If you're retired and live in Spain, then no vote. Etc. 

Agree. Why should you vote when you are not affected by the outcome of your vote, and when you are not contributing to the country?

• Like 1

Postal votes should only be available if you are away from home on the date of the election, or have a medical reason why you cannot get to a polling booth - I think this is how it used to be in the UK a few years back.

They should not be available for people who can't be arsed to get off their fat bum and go to the polling booth and vote in person.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM
3 minutes ago, ChrisJ said:

Postal votes should only be available if you are away from home on the date of the election, or have a medical reason why you cannot get to a polling booth - I think this is how it used to be in the UK a few years back.

They should not be available for people who can't be arsed to get off their fat bum and go to the polling booth and vote in person.

Why not? As long as they live here, are registered, why can't they have a postal vote? Maybe they are just busy and so a postal vote will be more convenient for them? Surely the goal is to get everyone who is eligible to vote, to vote.  Bring on electronic voting for me, as long as we can ensure it is secure then why not?

• Like 1