free hit
counters
Komo-Tec Exige S EX460 - Page 18 - V6 Exige Projects & Upgrades - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Komo-Tec Exige S EX460

TBD

• Gold FFM

I actually thought that Jim from 2bular and Daniel from KT had collaborated on a few things, including headers and exhausts. Certainly read that somewhere.

2bular stuff is excellent and I am sure Dave from H111 is only being prudent and doing the right thing by pointing out that if you change items in the "kit" then you might not get the same results as the "fully integrated and tested kit". I think that is fair does to be honest and nothing to be worried about, not to be taken as a statement of negativity towards any other manufacturers products.

Will be interested in the results. I'll likely be going for a full tubular (headers, sports cat and exhaust) for my 410 Sport next year and would expect, with a revised filter in the oem airbox, around 430 figures with a much more responsive mid-range - Jim's headers certainly free'd up the mid and top end power in my NA.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Wow 20 horses for not much out lay wonder why Lotus didn't go that route when bringing the 430 upgrade to Exige & Evora?

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

18 hours ago, Mark030358 said:

The only other option I have is to leave it 3 weeks ( actually 4 weeks, due to my work rotation, I work overseas, plus all the hassle of getting to Gatwick etc etc) at H111. After a lot of thought I decided I didn’t want to do this due to experiences elsewhere. The install in Germany is two days, which I can tie in with a Black Forest trip with my 👸.

Or go to Back on Track and fit the other upgrade ( See the playground posting today). But as KT has a great reputation, that’s the route I’m going.

Thanks

Mark - I left mine out in Medig for a few weeks. Early start and drive out to Mendig, spend the afternoon chatting about the upgrade, looking at parts and do a rolling road run or two. Flew home to Stanstead and train home all in a day.

Went back with a mate who drove out there, so could collect the old parts. Then spent a day on the local roads and Autobahn, then a day at the Ring giving it a good shake down.

I highly recommend the trip.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

£5k of hardware for 30bhp? I think that it cost Lotus a lot less than that to get to their 430bhp!

My thoughts also.

Has anyone completed 0-60 with 460hp? And a top speed run?

Are the differences considerable for the additional outlay?

• Gold FFM
3 hours ago, DarrylV8 said:

Wow 20 horses for not much out lay wonder why Lotus didn't go that route when bringing the 430 upgrade to Exige & Evora?

Not sure you know what you're talking about!  As others have said that's about £4k and it's not just about the extra hp.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

2 hours ago, Dan.G said:

My thoughts also.

Has anyone completed 0-60 with 460hp? And a top speed run?

Are the differences considerable for the additional outlay?

Top speed runs will be greatly effected by aero kit. Removing the big wing that most 460 and Cup 430’s wear could give as much as 5 mph on top speed 

I had a 3.1 sec 0-60 and a 184.5 mph top speed run and not seen any 460’ s better this but happy to be corrected  

I imagine the 460’s will have greater torque  in the mid range though 

10 minutes ago, Tex said:

Top speed runs will be greatly effected by aero kit. Removing the big wing that most 460 and Cup 430’s wear could give as much as 5 mph on top speed 

I had a 3.1 sec 0-60 and a 184.5 mph top speed run and not seen any 460’ s better this but happy to be corrected  

Thanks Tex,

I would image you're correct, the torque will be the most notable advantage.

Still, it's alot of money for 0.4 of a second to 60. Has anyone got real world numbers, ie, 40-70 or 60 - 100 as those figures probably matter more.

I wonder what gains could be made with an advanced dct gearbox..

Still, it's alot of money for 0.4 of a second to 60. 

Not as much as a 430 Cup upgrade....... if you have a 380 to chop in, a well specced car will be around £55k plus your 380 I would guess... Sorry, but that a new RS3., much easier to go KT, especially as I specced the track pack when ordering, granted not 3ways, but good enough for me.

thanks

• Like 2

• Gold FFM
11 hours ago, Tex said:

If you look at the Evora 430's - the difference between the heavily winged and aero GT430 and the more slender wingless GT430 Sport is 6 mph on the top speed. I would have thought this is a good base to prove your 5mph assumption.

12 hours ago, Tex said:

My 460 was comfortably quicker at Silverstone GP while running Nankangs on the rear 😆

On 27/12/2018 at 20:05, C8RKH said:

Not sure you know what you're talking about!  As others have said that's about £4k and it's not just about the extra hp.

I don’t believe that by changing the exhaust and air filter element (only) that you will have a 20 bhp increase!

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

• Gold FFM
3 hours ago, DarrylV8 said:

I don’t believe that by changing the exhaust and air filter element (only) that you will have a 20 bhp increase!

We were not talking about the exhaust.  By changing the manifolds, removing the two restrictive OEM cats that bake the engine block and installing a sports cat, with an improved air filter, you should, I believe, expect to see around 20bhp increase. You can achieve that on the NA moving from 276bhp to around 300bhp with improved mid-range responsiveness - at least it did on my NA. If you swap the air filter for a CAI then some have seen around 310-315bhp but that is pushing the ECU self-learn quite close to the envelope and sometimes you get a MIL thrown by the ECU. So headers plus CAI is usually a step too far without an ECU tune. Plenty of info about these changes and the results on here, and also LotusTalk from the US where they are more open to tuning their cars in general.

The exhaust is not the issue, the headers and cat removal are the point of the upgrade that we were talking about and it has the added bonus of removing heat from the engine bay and weight.

Your post was a specific sarky comment about 20bhp for not much outlay. I don't consider £4k-£5k for 20bhp to be "not much outlay" and this explains why Lotus have not done it (you said if it was that cheap and easy they would have) as that is specifically a lot of money for what they could gain by ECU tweaks alone, as suggested by Jonny ( @Bravo73 ).

Ergo - I don't understand your posts and therefore ergo I did not think you knew what you were talking about as you were contradicting yourself (increase vs cheap cost vs if it was that easy and cheap Lotus would have done it).

If you look at the KomoTec 460 "kit" it is essentially new manifolds, sports cat and an air filter with then an ECU tune and they are suggesting 60bhp improvement so to suggest 20bhp extra without the ecu tune is not far fetched especially as we know the Evora ECU will "self learn" for the headers and air filter and optimise the fuel accordingly. Not a definite science but not outwith the realms of probability either.

If and when I do it I'll get a before and after dyno run done and post up the results.

On ‎30‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 05:04, DarrylV8 said:

I actually think you would be not far off that. I can't believe the difference the 2bular valved exhaust has made to the car. In race mode its like a different car - much much stronger from the middle of the power band to the top. 

I've never experienced the same sort of gain in a car so I can well imagine the gains on the exhaust are around that region

This is someone who has never bought an cat back exhaust for a bhp gain

I would be very surprised if Race mode / Normal mode on the 2bular back box don't both do a absorption style path with the same tube diameter.  So back pressure on both paths should be virtually exactly the same.

(I too find it hard to believe a back box alone bringing any performance gain, under the condition you compare the OEM back box straight through path (valve open)).  I know about the 7mm pipe diameter difference, but if the manifolds and downpipe are still OEM (reduced pipe diameter), I can't see a back box bringing any performance gain.

Just my .02

45 minutes ago, Kristof Thys said:

I would be very surprised if Race mode / Normal mode on the 2bular back box don't both do a absorption style path with the same tube diameter.  So back pressure on both paths should be virtually exactly the same.

(I too find it hard to believe a back box alone bringing any performance gain, under the condition you compare the OEM back box straight through path (valve open)).  I know about the 7mm pipe diameter difference, but if the manifolds and downpipe are still OEM (reduced pipe diameter), I can't see a back box bringing any performance gain.

Just my .02

The Lotus sport box on my 360 cup measured at 7bhp more than the standard box with valve open, so very believable to me

The measurements where done on the same day on the same car without taking the car off the dyno, so a direct comparison, We even refitted the standard box and did another run to prove, Also then refitted the Sport box, again to prove

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kristof Thys said:

Just my .02

My 2bular valved Road exhaust measured 9Hp more with the valve open than the valve closed :)  You could feel the difference in how it picked up.

• Like 1

On 27/12/2018 at 17:48, DarrylV8 said:

If you look at the full range of kits form Komotec you'll see that this is quite realistic:

• KT 370:  KT airbox plus tune
  • KT 390 : headers plus sports cat plus air filter plus tune (stock airbox)
  • KT 410 : as above plus faster spinning compressor plus tune (stock airbox)
  • KT 430 : all above plus KT airbox plus tune
  • KT 460 : all above plus charge cooler plus tune
  • KT 500 : new pistons,new rods, larger compressor, headers (TVS-1900), sports cat, KT airbox plus tune - just don't forget to include a new gearbox (sequential?) with this one 
Lotus couldn't go that route because of the sports cat, which would compromise certification. So they chose the larger compressor. For this they only have one kit:
  • KT 475 : new headers plus sports cat plus air filter plus tune.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

• 2 weeks later...