free hit
counters
Komotec 460 and 500 hp kits on the way!!! - Page 4 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Komotec 460 and 500 hp kits on the way!!!

On 3/18/2016 at 07:30, JayEmm said:

As far as I know any "true" sequential box would need a rebuild fairly frequently dealing with that kind of mileage.

As odd as it seems I actually wouldn't mind if Lotus had an SMG-style box, some of the later ones were fairly decent and as far as I know the DCT boxes carry a fairly significant weight penalty?

SMG like the BMW SMG2 used on certain BMW E46?

SMG AKA AMT for automated or robotized manual transmission are quite rare these days, Transverse layout AMT are even rarer, Lotus was to fit one on the China only GTE originally. The Xtrac unit, I Think it was an Xtrac, Lotus used did not really deliver, it was finicky and fragile. Possibly, in part, due to the transverse layout. They could not get it right.   There are only a few of these going around  - Xtrac, Magnetti-Marelli, BorgWarner to my knowledge - they are cost effective for smaller car maker cause in essence you install an hydro-electronique module that carries the function of the clutch and use any manual gearbox that fits as a base.

AMTs are used on the Aston Martin Vantage  (Magnetti-Marelli) and they made very few fans, the shifts were always referred to as jerky... So few that Aston decided to fit a torque converter ZF 6 speed on the DB9 and switched to the ZF 8 speed for the DB11. Pagani use one on its Huyuara ( Xtrac), Koenigsegg use one the Agera (Cima), while Lamborghini switched over to a full DCT.  

The other problem of AMTs is that conventional torque converter with "sport" mode are better at being automatic, they are now very fast in manual mode and more cost effective.

If AMTs are lighter than DCTs they are still a tad heavier than regular manual.

39 minutes ago, Breeze said:

I'm pretty sure that Getrag has a dual clutch box in development for some of the Audi transfers installations. Presumably it will be available for other manufacturers at some point. In any event, I'm sure the development guys at Lotus will have their eyes on the ball.

The Getrag is out and about... Mercedes use it on their A45AMG and it's good for 600nm, the code name is 7DCT500 problem it appears to be a "proprietary" Mercedes design for now as the gearbox was specifically designed for them, Audi uses a lesser gearbox 6DCT480 and is about to switch or has switched already to the BorgWarner camp.

• 2 weeks later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I,ma friend of komo tec since 2005. My car before was an elise mk1 with honda k20a and rotrex kompressor and 420hp.. i drive this car 16 years. Now im 48 years and i need more compfort and room for dr

Sorry my english ist very bad. This is my new evora 400 with the 460 upgrade from Komo-Tec. The Sound ist nice an heavy loud, See the dyno chart is very well.      

That would be about right.... I think I have set aside circa £2500 for the 460 upgrade, based on the costs I have spent to date with upgrading from 390 to 430. I'm not entirely sure what to make

Posted Images

It's a shame but that Mercedes DCT is the worst thing about the A45, it's really bad.

that being said, nothing to say it's a software issue. There have been plenty of cases of SMG boxes improving greatly with better or later ECUs

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

It's a shame but that Mercedes DCT is the worst thing about the A45, it's really bad.

that being said, nothing to say it's a software issue. There have been plenty of cases of SMG boxes improving greatly with better or later ECUs

James Martin (JayEmm)

James Martin (JayEmm)