free hit
counters
Star Wars The Force Awakens, who's going? - Page 3 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Star Wars The Force Awakens, who's going?

OwenGT3

I was thinking about 3D, but if some on here are saying there is too much going on to take it all in (and their heads work ok) maybe I had just better go to the 2D showing. :) 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Only ever saw the original at the cinema. Been on video or dvd since then.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

4 hours ago, johnpwalsh said:

I must be an odd ball.Never seen any of them

We ought to start our own thread as you aren't alone out there.

Well I'm another fan of the original IV, V, VI trilogy and really didn't like the 2 dimensional stereotypical characters introduced into the later prequels.   From the hype, I had high hopes that this one would revert to earlier form.  And for me it did, but rather too well.  This is actually just a remake of the original isn't it?  Exactly the same story line, exactly the same character types, exactly the same set pieces, even much of the same dialogue reused.  I enjoyed it, but then I enjoy it every time I re-watch the original episode IV.   Overall I'm with those feeling short-changed.

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Massive Star Wars fan, never liked Star Trek, absolutely loved The Force Awakens and I'm more than happy to overlook a few things here and there. I see the similarities with episode IV but it's plenty different enough for me, and besides the plot had pretty much written itself after the previous 6 films. 

Frankly it's a miracle that we've ended up with such a good outing for the franchise after all :)

• Gold FFM
On 12/20/2015 at 14:58, ChrisJ said:

We ought to start our own thread as you aren't alone out there.

OK, so how many have never seen them then.

20 hours ago, MPx said:

Well I'm another fan of the original IV, V, VI trilogy and really didn't like the 2 dimensional stereotypical characters introduced into the later prequels.   From the hype, I had high hopes that this one would revert to earlier form.  And for me it did, but rather too well.  This is actually just a remake of the original isn't it?  Exactly the same story line, exactly the same character types, exactly the same set pieces, even much of the same dialogue reused.  I enjoyed it, but then I enjoy it every time I re-watch the original episode IV.   Overall I'm with those feeling short-changed.

I'm with you Mike, must be a Somerset thing! ;)

I think people are pleasantly surprised after the disappointment of the prequels. Personally, I liked quite a lot about the prequels and felt there was at least plenty of originality to go with the irritations. This time round the character in charge of entertaining younger viewers was done really well (BB-8) so it didn't feel ruined at any point apart from the CGI squid scene which was dire, and totally went against the very admirable attempt to use CGI sparingly and intelligently.

But wasn't a big part of Star Wars the character, costume and spaceship design? In the '77 film the rebels had any number of designs flying together in the battle scenes, this time round we only have X-wings vs Tie fighters. When I saw the footage of a black X-wing and updated tie fighters I thought there was going to be some kind of black ops space special forces stuff going on but it was just an incidental paint job.

Wouldn't it have been more interesting to me to see the re-emergence of the dark side within the new, free Republic? Jumping in where TFA begins made the events of the earlier films mean nothing to start with a fully formed Empire 2.0 complete with Death Star 3.0! It would have been nice to see the bad guys as the lunatic religious fanatic minority (ie a reverse of Episode IV) We know nothing about them or Snoke or anything else. I just felt too much was ignored from the end of Jedi which I watched again before seeing TFA. In particular Leia - she's built up to be the next big thing if anything happened to Luke but it looks like she recieved no Jedi training whatsoever and was just a fairly ineffective 'General'. My version would have had Luke showing up in the nick of time to save Finn and Rey who were getting a pasting from Kylo Ren. He's then about to finish KR off when Leia shows up brandishing Light nunchucks and calls Luke off, allowing Ren to survive. And lets him go. 'Why?' they all cry! 'He's my :censored:!' she says in tears. Roll end credits, high fives allround!

:pizza:

I think it was the prequel with that character that had the big floppy ears were they? that started me on turning on the subtitles. I could hardly understand a word the thing said.

2 hours ago, The Pits said:

Light nunchucks

:hrhr: Epic :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

5 hours ago, The Pits said:

Wouldn't it have been more interesting to me to see the re-emergence of the dark side within the new, free Republic? Jumping in where TFA begins made the events of the earlier films mean nothing to start with a fully formed Empire 2.0 complete with Death Star 3.0! It would have been nice to see the bad guys as the lunatic religious fanatic minority (ie a reverse of Episode IV) We know nothing about them or Snoke or anything else. I just felt too much was ignored from the end of Jedi which I watched again before seeing TFA. In particular Leia - she's built up to be the next big thing if anything happened to Luke but it looks like she recieved no Jedi training whatsoever and was just a fairly ineffective 'General'. My version would have had Luke showing up in the nick of time to save Finn and Rey who were getting a pasting from Kylo Ren. He's then about to finish KR off when Leia shows up brandishing Light nunchucks and calls Luke off, allowing Ren to survive. And lets him go. 'Why?' they all cry! 'He's my :censored:!' she says in tears. Roll end credits, high fives allround!

Erm, isn't that sailing pretty close to needing a SPOILER ALERT warning?

Incidentally, if you've forgotten how bad the prequels were, here is a very good review of the least worst of the three:

Saw it again today, enjoyed it much more without the baggage I brought to the first screening. A very solid effort and has tee'd up an epic Episode VIII. I prefer the idea of going for broke with every film, making it the best it can possibly be and worry about the sequels later (like the Matrix). But when you've just paid $4bn for a franchise I suppose the first job is to make sure people want to come back and see the next one. We are also in the era of the super franchise. The job of introducing the new characters was handled very well with charm, humour and great performances. Now we're up an running I hope the next guy gives it both barrels.

Something that got me thinking about TFA and the original trilogy, why did Luke bother? The original trilogy Luke spends the whole of the three films with the sole goal to defeat and destroy the Empire and make the universe a better place. What was the point if a new fraction has taken it's place, seems like art mimicking real life. As in real life, at least Luke would know where he stands with the Empire unlike the new lot.

Yes that's why I prefer the idea of the first order being a lunatic terrorist cell full of religious deranged fanatics rather than a vast, well funded empire 2.0. It should have been about the reawakening of both sides of the force.

Its all pretty irrelevant when you're breaking box office records though, a bit like me recommending Porsche stop making SUV's!

the only issue Disney have with the film is where to put all the money!

• Like 1

Saw it for the second time tonight. I enjoyed it the first time, but on this second viewing I absolutely loved it. I think watching it in the knowledge it wasn't another awful let down and being aware of its weak points, it left me more free just to sit and enjoy it all. I can definitely see a third viewing being on the cards, and I've never been to see ANY film at the cinema more than once.

Saw it last night.

Enjoyable enough but somehow underwhelming. I remember as a kid seeing the originals, which were actually quite menacing in places with the dark and mysterious Darth Vader. This one has a little too much humour and so loses some of the darkness that I remember from the original films.

As soon as Kylo removes his mask and looks like a public schoolboy all the menace is lost...:mellow:

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

• Gold FFM

A bit too much humor yes. A small price to pay for all the great links with IV, V, VI.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM

A little late to the party but going this week. Still unsure if to have a 2D or 3D first watch?

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!