free hit
counters
Perfect engine for an Evora GTE? - Page 2 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Perfect engine for an Evora GTE?

I would prefer taking the KomoTec route as I did. You would have to add the cost of a compatible ECU and custom tune. Yout would most likely have issues passing MOT (or TÜV in Germany), since there is no certificate of compliance for the ECU (which is also true of a custom tune, but that is much more difficult to verify).

Lastly, for the price of this engine installed you can get the new Komotec EV460-stage.

Regarding car value, it probably won't make much difference. But the additional power does increase driving enjoyment considerably, which I rate substantially higher.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No, I haven't put one in my gte and I wouldn't either for the reasons stated above. However, I did end up buying one of the original spec cars from the remaining cars that were to be scrapped off

Ooooh I like it :-) I know the description said 385-400 but the paperwork on the engine says 420.   Trevor.

I'm sure if you were to offer 5k inc the vat they'd sell you one. And for 5k it would be an absolute bargain, even with no warranty! Price up a new standard toyota v6 engine, loom and a superchar

Posted Images

So the dash is also mapped to the ecu programme installed.  Why did lotus not install the 20 GTEs with the Lotus cams & 420 ECU programme? More to the point why did they even bother with Swindon if they already had an in-house solution?

The gte's were not an in house project at lotus, from what I understand back in 2010/11 lotus supplied Mansory in Germany with appox 30 std evora s cars which they stripped down and built back up with the wider body, Swindon engine and the Automac gear change system. Remember they were going to be asking 125k for them so the std engine needed a bit more pep, Swindon being a highly regarded engine builder probably provided the "out the box" solution with a good name attached. This was one of the main problems when lotus came to rebuild them last year, no one at lotus had the slightest clue how they had integrated the engine and gearbox systems over the std evora electrics. Hence them using std evora parts and new wiring looms when they reworked them knowing they did work and could stick a warranty on them.

I was doing a bit of Internet digging on the 2 Le mans GTE cars lotus built. Regulations state they must have produced 20-25 road going cars in order to compete. Makes me think the gte road project was a bit of a white elephant in order to get the two racer on the grid, knowing they would never be road worthy but when Mr FIA official came a calling they had them there to show, which could easily have been all in the budget for the two racers... Makes sense to me anyway as to why they were built but not built good enough to sell...

The lotus 420 kit is, and always has been a LMS race car upgrade, Steve Williams has the kit on his yellow race evora.

It has never been sold for a road car upgrade afaik. Not sure if it will even pass an mot on emmissions test, or if you have to remove cats in order to get the power gains advertised, etc,etc. A call to Motorsport will answer the questions though I'd have thought.  

• Like 1

Interesting. I'm not sure the original GTE issue was over emissions.  My car was the first of the reworked GTEs to be presented for the IVA (which it passed).  At the same time a GTE in original spec was also presented for the IVA which failed on exhaust noise.

16 hours ago, domguy said:

Interesting. I'm not sure the original GTE issue was over emissions.  My car was the first of the reworked GTEs to be presented for the IVA (which it passed).  At the same time a GTE in original spec was also presented for the IVA which failed on exhaust noise.

I think Gav meant the GTE race spec engine at 420bhp not the road version which was ~380bhp, wouldn't have been tested re: emissions/MOT,

• 4 weeks later...
On 24 December 2015 at 11:15, The Pits said:

Just the two GTE's for now then Gav?

Always wise to have a spare just in case.

:thumbup:

Can you feel a big difference with the Swindon engine?

One for the road, one for the track... All bases covered!! :)

Can I feel a difference? Tbh, no I cant. Unless I go and do a trackday in the silver no.15 car I doubt I ever will tell the difference either. In the time I have spent in both of them the silver 15 car has spent virtually no time above 5k on rev counter where as the red track car hasn't seen any less than 5k... The extra 40hp is at all the top end of the rev range so unless your givivng beans everywhere you' probably not notice.

• Like 1
On 26 December 2015 at 07:35, JAWS said:

I think Gav meant the GTE race spec engine at 420bhp not the road version which was ~380bhp, wouldn't have been tested re: emissions/MOT,

Sorry some confusion.

The Le Mans GTE race engines were (iirc), a re bored 3.9ltr N/A Cosworth engine putting out about 470hp, they were quite special engines in that respect in order to be compliant with the lemans regs.

The GTE road cars with the s/charged Swindon engines were advertised at 420hp but running on a Lotus ecu only showed 385-390 hp.

I have spoken to Swindon who ensure me that with a new, stand alone ecu the engines are good for the 420 hp they are advertised to have and with a new, smaller pulley should do nearer 440hp.

The LMS 420 kit I speak about above is a kit that is available from Lotus Motorsport. I'm not sure of all the components required but it deffo includes a set of cams, probably a set of manifolds and obviously a ecu reflash on the std lotus ecu. This kit (as far as I'm aware) has never been sold as a road car upgrade from Lotus, it's only avaialbe for track cars.like I say I'm not 100% sure of what the full kit entails in terms of parts requires as it not something I have looked into with any depth. I do know that Steve Williams had the kit put on his YELLOW evora race car and when tested back in 2011/12 by torque development on there hub dyno it was putting out 420hp easily. You would have to speak to LMS regarding it's suitability for road use as to whether o not it would pass emmissons tests...

• Like 1

Thanks Gav for info.  I wonder if the Gumball 3000 Evora was fitted with the LMS kit you refer to.  I'm sure I read somewhere it produced around the 420HP output

There is a new kid on the block advertising 550 HP: http://www.jubu-performance.com/de/lotus/evora/kompressor/leistungskits-267

Does look tempting, but I'm estimating over 20.000 € for it, which is a (very big) lot of money. 

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

4 hours ago, TBD said:

There is a new kid on the block advertising 550 HP: http://www.jubu-performance.com/de/lotus/evora/kompressor/leistungskits-267

Does look tempting, but I'm estimating over 20.000 € for it, which is a (very big) lot of money. 

The problem IMO with engine mods on the Evora is that the car is a bucket load of money to start with. That seems to translate to much more pricey upgrades!

Monkey Wrench Racing in the US seem to have some 2GR bits on their site and in the UK the MR2 guys are fitting 2GRs for cheap fun. I suspect the big power numbers will come from Toyotaland as blowing your engine or transmission in the process of R&D won't be such a big deal.

• 4 years later...
On 23/12/2015 at 10:39, domguy said:

The description does sound like a swindon GTE engine opposed to the Lotus developed GTE engine.  The arrows conrods being the giveaway.  The claimed 440HP of the GTE was over optimistic and actually came in closer to 380 which also fits in with the quoted numbers.  If it was pulled from one of the 20 cars then I'm sure the engine number can be matched against Lotus's records.  

Sorry to re-open a very old thread, but this was interesting reading for me.  I am aware that the "original" GTE's had Swindon engines, but that those were replaced with the "standard" engines before the GTEs were eventually sold to the public.  What was the role of Arrow in this?  Did they make the conrods for the Swindon engines and, if so, why didn't Swindon use their own conrods?

What other Evora builds has Arrow been involved in?  The reason I ask is because I am currently researching my engine build project and Arrow are currently top of the list to supply the new crank and conrods, so I'd be very interested to see what other work they have done on these engines.  Thanks!