free hit
counters
Oil from exhaust at idle - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Oil from exhaust at idle

Hi to all,

My S4 has started spraying oil from the exhaust at idle. Droplets are clearly visible on the garage floor after a few minutes of warming up. Boost doesn't go beyond 0.5 bar (Pierburg/electrical ancillaries already checked) and there's a pressure build up exitation when accelerating hard. The car just clocked 86.000 kms and it has consumed max-to-min oil in 8.000 kms from last service. Therefore I suspect turbine bearings are gone.

I had inspected turbine 6 months ago indeed, and it was clean and play-free by 'finger test from outlet to cat' :-) . Any ideas on how to make sure that turbocharger is the culprit or should I go straight for an overhaul?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Are you sure it is oil?  The Esprit often shoots black specks of carbon (un-burnt fuel) and water that can look like oil.

Do a compression test first.

You could remove the exhaust down pipe to look for oil seepage.

There are many reasons why the boost could be restricted to ~.65bar.  Make sure the coolant temperature is getting up to around 80C.  Use Freescan to verify that the ECU coolant temperature is also getting up to ~80C.   Also check your fuel pressure.  Log data in Freescan if possible.

• Like 2

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

Good hint Vulcan, what I get from the exhaust is exactly what you describe: watery speckles.  By the way, my turbine is really too clean inside to go straight for a failure (see pics). On the other hand, oil supply flanges both on turbo and sump are dirty, as well as spark plugs area, so I'll go for new gaskets (including cam cover) at next SJ order ;-)

WP_20150516_16_08_17_Pro.jpg

Turbocharger oil feed - compressor side.jpg

Turbocharger oil feed - sump junction.jpg

Turbochrger oil feed - junction detail 2.jpg

yes, replace the turbo oil line gaskets (top and bottom).  Check to make sure the oil return line to the sump does not have any restrictions!  Since any increase in pressure can cause oil to come out at the turbo bearing.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album