free hit
counters
Brake pads worn out - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

My 2013 Elise S has 6,500kms on the counter, i have the feeling that the brake pads are warn out as there is a hissing sound from the wheels (when driving in a closed parking lot at low speeds) as if metal is hitting the discs.... Could that be possible only after 6,500 kms? I dont track the car! 

Also, arent i supposed to have a red warning light in the dashboard informing that pads need to be replaced?

thanks!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If you are getting a weird sound when braking, I would stop using the car and check things out. If you damage the disc, it can end up a lot more expensive. I doubt there is a warning light to let you know you need to change pads, but I may be wrong.

Many pad warning systems I've seen work on only one pad of the pair (although I have seen some with two), so if the caliper sticks slightly you can wear through the non-telltale pad before the light comes on. I'm with Michael, inspect before continuing to drive. It may simply be a stone caught but better to check than need the brakes and not have them. It's only a case of removing the wheel and inspecting how far apart the pads are from the disc, you don't even have to see the friction material a long as you can see the steel backing plate of it.

Thank you both for your cmments. Will check and keep you posted.

happy new year!

My original pads are still okay for 'normal' road use, but on track they are suffering a lot of fade at just over 6,000 miles. 

Ran Pagid RS4-2 on the 111R (previous car) but never tracked this so rarely got them warmed up sufficiently to benefit. Anyone have any recommendation for good pads for track days on original discs?