free hit
counters
New Esprit - Page 8 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

No, not really Alan, I was just working on the Esprit theme, as for what it represents and the lines it shows. Just a fun experiment ;)

Sorry to break in Again here Guys, but I have experienced very dull natural aspirated engines and ditto turbo and compressor engines. But I have, on the other hand, also experienced really fun turbo, compressor and naturally aspirated engines. It all depends on how it's laid out and how you drive it.

That said, honestly, I prefer an engine with some sort of charged intake air. They are more fun to me. And I agree with Barry, that it's about knowing how to drive that particular engine, coming on boost. Soooo fun.

I like the Alfa 4c for it's looks, apart from the nasty tasteless roof to front screen design and -line, which is also found on they the Evora, and I really really don't like that. It's sooo ugly. Other than that, I like the design. I find it looks better in real life, than on a screen or on paper. I haven't driven one, so cannot speak on that. I have read reviews that state both standpoints as you have stated. I agree that the alfa looks oversized and outright clumsy next to the Esprit.

I like the 8c better for looks. But that, I read, was supposed to be not very well handleing. Again, it's not my own experience. But superb looking. It's engine is an uprated version of the one in Maserati Gran Turismo and Ferrari 430. That should keep some Ferrari fanatics silent about propper engines ;) Looking at the older 8c and the newer 4c, I find the 8c far supperior in looks and a much more harmonious design, also in the roofline, which integrates the glass areas far better. In comparison, the 4c looks snotty and cheapish in the way that the roof and the glass does not flow and integrate. It's almost as if the glass area on the 4c was designed and then tilted 15 degrees Down towards the back, thereby destroying the otherwise great flow in lines in the car. Reliability? I'll take the Esprit any day, ha ha.

Looking at the Picture above with those 3 cars, I would take the Esprit any day. Not because I have one, but because it's so much better looking overall, and much more timeless. Looking at the Honda NSX, it's aged not very well in comparison. And there you can talk abot an engine, that needs working to run. It demands so much revs to Work. Not a great design in my Humble view. But none the less a fun car to drive, I am sure. In comparison, I find the NSX looking far better than Godzilla, an outright super duper ugly car, that should be ceased being made. Japscrap.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

• Like 1

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That engineering partner of Toyota also had a flat 12.      

Not looking too shabby at breakfast club this morning

Years gone by......  

Posted Images

• Gold FFM
52 minutes ago, Jacques said:

That said, honestly, I prefer an engine with some sort of charged intake air. They are more fun to me. And I agree with Barry, that it's about knowing how to drive that particular engine, coming on boost. Soooo fun.

Amen that man :thumbsup: that is exactly it

Only here once

1 hour ago, Jacques said:

Sorry to break in Again here Guys, but I have experienced very dull natural aspirated engines and ditto turbo and compressor engines. But I have, on the other hand, also experienced really fun turbo, compressor and naturally aspirated engines. It all depends on how it's laid out and how you drive it.

Well, that is talking about 2 different things. Bigger displacement will always equal more power potential in a NA engine. Always. No matter what.

Whether you like an engine which makes you work harder for the power or whatever you find more fun to drive is a totally different subject.;)  That is personal preference. But that still doesn't change the fact that there is not replacement for displacement, when comparing NA engines.

Besides, if displacement doesn't matter, why did Lotus bored the 2.0 out to 2.2? If it didn't matter they would have just turbo charged the 2.0 engine. ;)

Edited by Straightbend

That was because they had a shed load of 2.0l engines left over from the Italian job.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

Not arguing with physics.

the Bentley in this picture - 6.75l v8 - lovely motor - but frankly completely shit. 

the 13/60 herald - no power amazing fun 

the v8 esprit - lightening quick and easy to drive fast with no effort at all.

image.jpeg

Only here once

Barry, you are arguing with physics. I don't understand you. I don't know what your point is. Fun to drive? What does that have to do with the proven effect of larger displacement, which you contested?

It can be as fun as it gets. It doesn't change science. You are comparing turbo engines, speaking of fun to drive, all things I have already pointed out do not play into the importance of larger displacement or lack of importance debate. All the while ignoring sheer hard science to stick to your personal view. If this is what you want to do, then fine. But then there is no point in furthering this conversation just as you have no point when you discreet the notion of "there is no replacement for displacement" without considering real facts.

So let's just end it here.

5 hours ago, Bibs said:

In my experience of driving one, the opposite was the case. Great chassis but poor suspension, steering and braking.

You need more time in the drivers seat other than 5 mins down the road. The 4c is a grower.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

New Long Term Review? :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM
15 hours ago, JayEmm said:

@Barrykearley that Alfa looks totally fugly next to the Esprit!

Fixed it for you @JayEmm.

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

10 hours ago, Bibs said:

New Long Term Review? :D

If we can get together at some point for an extended drive so you can appreciate the car better then yes. Lots of things about the 4c really grow on you and continue to impress. It's the over all character that builds the more time spent in the drivers seat and the brakes for example are extremely good but at first trial seem a little lacking, this certainly isn't the case and any review has commented on their abilities. The car has a very special feel with all the exposed carbon from the tub and I can't think of any car at this price point that can match it or even come close. I could go on and on about how it continues to impress and how easy it is to use on a daily basis (with the exception of parking) but it's only owners that have lived with the cars that can relate to this.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

19 minutes ago, Trevsked said:

If we can get together at some point for an extended drive so you can appreciate the car better then yes. 

For a comprehensive test and review it'll be important to see how the car handles the ramps onto and off a ferry, likewise how it responds to a handsome Irish/Greek at the helm :devil:

• Gold FFM

A red headed medusa?

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

3 hours ago, GTK said:

:lol: DOUBLE BURN!

I am the stuff of fairytales; the looks, the pot o'gold, AND the Esprit. Form an orderly queue darlings.

swiss-toni.jpg

"Paul, ask me why they call me Swiss Toni"
"Why do they call you that?"
"Because I'm built like an alp and rich like a Toblerone"

• Like 2

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

On 10/9/2016 at 13:32, Barrykearley said:

Not looking too shabby at breakfast club this morningimage.jpeg

Holy crap! I've seen a bunch of 4Cs but this really puts things into perspective. (L) Tiny Esprit V8! 

Your other picture with those brick-shaped vehicles is also classy. The Esprit is simply gorgeous. I love its "it could be an old Mitsubishi lines". The old Stevens design even more so.

Incidentally, there's some cracking pictures of the Evora 400 over in that models picture thread where one chap went on a European Tour together with an Aventador, Porsche something (911, Cayman??) and a 918. I don't dislike the Evora 400, but in that company, I just wanted to instantly buy an Aventador - it was the only car of the lot that looked the part. The rest were "meh", or, the result of chasing accessibility and driver friendliness. Too tall, too bulky. Granted only 2 of the 4 in that gang were meant to be supercars but still.... it's always nice to be able to head over here and revisit times of yore when Lotus had a bona-fide Supercar in its line-up.

More pictures Barry!!!!! Keep 'em coming!

• Like 1

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

• Gold FFM
20 hours ago, Straightbend said:

Barry, you are arguing with physics. I don't understand you. I don't know what your point is. 

Displacement is just one thing - it is not the answer to everything. Handling, acceleration, cornering agility, driver feedback etc etc ....... you must have the package to have a Sportscar. Otherwise you just have a loud heap of metal.

please do feel free to post up some pics of your motors.....

IMG_0947.JPG@Vanya I've some more - but they are prancers and the like

• Like 1

Only here once