free hit
counters
New Esprit - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

6 hours ago, GTK said:

Love all this, and it put's me in mind of a little bug bear I have of late. The Alfa 4C. Don't get me wrong the car itself isn't the problem, I'd just like to have seen at least one hack draw the obvious comparison to the benchmark the Esprit set - does this sound familiar: composite body, mid engined, 13ft long, 6.1-something inches wide, 900kg/1000kg (EU / US & Oz), gutsy small displacement engine and no power steering. The 4C is a modern Esprit. 

In fact the 4C is pretty much exactly what the new Esprit should be - it's got all the same key elements, but up to date and everything is in sync. By that I mean it's got the power to back up the looks, not that the perceived lack of has ever bothered me about the Esprit. 

So yes I'm saying to stay true the new Esprit should have a small displacement lump. I'd be very excited about a V10 or 12 but it's not Esprit, it's not Lotus. The GT thing is a must, but advances in small displacement outputs means that you can now have a continent munching GT car that eats tarmac, not wallets at fuels stops. So achieving a good GT car is now more about making sure it's comfy as fudge. 

Engine wise I have a special place for five cylinder lumps, just not most of the cars they're put in. It's a good way to make the new Esprit sound sweet and keep weight down. They have distinct advantages and sound beautiful if you ask me. It'd be ironic too in that the mid range boom the Esprit was panned for in the '70's would be deleted by virtue of a 5's stroke overlap, it'd just probably be low down AND high up instead lol.

Intriguing stuff, particularly the five cylinder approach! Yes, I am with you on what can be wrung out of a small displacement engine. My good lady's new Mokka is a 1.4 petrol turbo and is surprisingly fast for such a big-ish car.

I suppose that there are two camps to this then. Earlier trad four pot stylee and later V-something stylee (V12!) It would be nice to have both!

Agree very much about the comfort being paramount.

Anyway, this is all probably very much a dream, I think we can all guess at the development cost constraints that Lotus must be under.

It's nice to dream though. Now where are my pencils..?

PS I wonder what the worldwide market potential is for the 4C/new Esprit?

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That engineering partner of Toyota also had a flat 12.      

Not looking too shabby at breakfast club this morning

Years gone by......  

Posted Images

It took from 1976 until 2004 to sell just 10675 Esprits. It was hardly a winning commercial formula so I have to question why some think that repeating the idea is a good one.

The original car was designed with a V8 in mind and it was only monetary constraints that prevented it from happening until the 918 was rescued from a skip for use in the Esprit.

I would suspect that any future Esprit will have to feature some form of hybrid power, possibly in a similar fashion to the BMW i8.

1 hour ago, Advantage said:

It took from 1976 until 2004 to sell just 10675 Esprits. It was hardly a winning commercial formula so I have to question why some think that repeating the idea is a good one

A '96 Esprit V8 sold for £60,000. With RPI that's £100,000 at today's prices.

Not a winning formula? That was presumably profitable for Lotus and up against what were £200k plus (RPI now) Ferraris, Lambos and Maseratis of the time?

The Italian marques have always had a lot of added margin because of the name. Not so Lotus.

That's why I feel that there is still a niche for a new Esprit supercar.

It was profitable because the V8 budget was already funded by the cancelled project elsewhere. The engine was never intended for the Esprit. At that age of its life the car became a profitable thing to produce as the mouldings and tools had pretty much paid for themselves already.

So if you can supply an engine that has no costs attached to it and a bodyshell that needs zero investment in manufacture I guess it will be easy to supply the customer with an inexpensive Esprit within the next year or so.

Are you like the Rain God in HHGTTG Advantage? :P

I would just like to say that I believe Chapman was completely behind the original Esprit. Sure, we know all about the Seven, the Elan, add lightness and all of that good stuff. But the Esprit still got made. We love the reality of that vision, we drive it in whatever form. Low power S1s, high compression S2s, turbo S3s, 300bhp four pots and V8 S4s.

To answer your point then. Put the Evora 400 engine in the reclaimed Esprit body shell with all of the necessary airbag and safety bollocks and Barry Kearley will be the first with the down payment :)

• Like 1

Out of the 10,675 Esprits, less than 1,500 V8's were built and around 75% of all Esprits were made in the first 20 years, sales really weren't off the charts in the latter years. You'd be hard pressed to convince JMG that the Esprit would be the golden goose...

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM
6 hours ago, Bibs said:

Out of the 10,675 Esprits, less than 1,500 V8's were built and around 75% of all Esprits were made in the first 20 years, sales really weren't off the charts in the latter years. You'd be hard pressed to convince JMG that the Esprit would be the golden goose...

And them folk at mini, fiat 500, VW beetle drawing boards should give up too - you'll never sell any - just a matter of time before we see a rehashed Morris minor. :sofa: 

No no golden goose for sure - but I'm not sure any of their cars ever have been. But let's just imagine what could be. By Christ Kyle minogue is still a thing of beauty !!

• Like 1

Only here once

The Evora isn't a golden goose car either. I'd prefer an Esprit, even if its not a golden goose, it was a great dream car / bedroom wall poster car and back in its day, gave the Lotus brand prestige.  

Re the design, no return to nostalgia for me.  The original Esprit design was as futuristic as it got back in 1972, so any future Esprit should be the same.

• Like 1

Lads wtf, the OP (Alan) clearly said it's highly unlikely it'd ever happen, and I'm paraphrasing here but he basically said let's pretend it did, what would it be like?

I wanna play vapour build, not actuarial science. BORING!

Anyone suggest a parts bin gearbox/transaxle suitable for mid mount and big power? 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

By Christ Kyle minogue is still a thing of beauty !!

I bet you got the 2016 Kylie calendar for Christmas as well Barry :wub:

10 hours ago, Bibs said:

You'd be hard pressed to convince JMG that the Esprit would be the golden goose...

To take GTK's point again. Alfa must have done the market research on the 4C. How big is it worldwide? 

• Like 1

The 4c hasn't sold that well,  they need to shoehorn a wonderful sounding Alfa V6 in the back of it to see that achieve its potential. 

If Lotus did with the Esprit that which BMW did with the Mini we'd have an SUV sized wedge with split opening rear doors :lol:

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

No chance of a new Esprit sadly, not much more chance of many here being able to afford one if it did happen either.

I say this as a very proud Esprit owner, but we really have to consider what Lotus currently make. The Exige and Evora cover most of the bases left by the Esprit very well. The Evora for GT duty and the Exige for supercar-humbling pace and otherworldly styling. If Lotus did decide to do a bigger, heavier, two seater, based on the Evora tub, even with exquisite styling I think it would be likely to help us appreciate the Exige better. The power would have to be north of 450bhp just to better the Exige's power:weight, dynamically it would always be fighting a losing battle. It would need at least 550-600bhp and be made a lot lighter than an Evora to be even at the races with the likes of the Ferrari 488 and McLaren 650S. I'm quite convinced the factory could make a world beater with sufficient resources and what a car it could be (especially with the Lexus LF-A V10) but the likely cost of a car that could really take on the supercar establishment would be at least £200k, lottery win territory for most.

Instead Lotus can take on the supercar heavy hitters with the flyweight Exige which still has so much potential. A 450bhp Exige could have a power:weight close to a 600bhp Evora....

All they need do is put an even more dramatic, lighter Exige body on the 311...

• Like 1

Just throwing it out there, TLF still own the Esprit VARI moulds :D

Lotus_Turbo_Esprit_Vari_Body_Shell.jpg

• Like 2

Evora NA

• Gold FFM

Space made in the garage - herald off to paint finally - lets get them moulds in and go mad.

gonna need a huge one for the fins and spoiler ? and its gotta have a 70s louvre rear window panel.......

• Like 1

Only here once

You know what Barry...

If the moulds are available then "kit car" comes to mind. Nova styleeeeeeee

There's definitely a business idea here somewhere. Got any spare capital buddy?

:bounce:

• Like 1