free hit
counters
Age old question, that hub carrier stud! - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Age old question, that hub carrier stud!

I've read more than a few times on here just how bloody stubborn that stud can be and this week was my turn to have a go and yes the sod is one nasty little git to remove. Mine is not coming out so I see you guys remove the swing arm and link pin to get the thing pressed out, is that correct at a garage? If so what is the best way to remove the stud behind the rear brake drum, I'm thinking knock it backwards towards the arse of the car, shortest distance before the link pin will drop? 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Yeah, I had the joy of this a few months ago. On one side, I pulled the hub carrier off to get it to a garage to get pressed out. You can remove the stud going through the diff carrier from either side. I knocked my studs through towards the front of the car, and put them back in from front to rear, but you could do it the other way too. Might take a bit of faffing about lining everything up so the stud will go through when you're putting it back together.

When you get the stud out of the diff carrier, do check the carrier itself for corrosion inside. I had to do a bit of smoothing on the inside to ensure that the replacement stud could be knocked into place without too much difficulty.

• Like 1

Sorry if this seems a dumb question but why does the stud need replacing? With bushes on either end, surely stud wear is minimal or am I just being hopeful?

If the linkage arms, on both sides, pivot on bushes surely the stud doesn't need to move in the hub? If these are lubricated is stud wear a major issue?

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

Quick question, so the hub carrier and trailing arm will have to be taken as a whole to get pressed out right? Reason I'm looking at removing mine is all about my air suspension, I'm making a few improvements to the original setup and I need to get the stud out, believe me I've been trying every possible solution not to remove the stud as I know it is a swine to remove but I have no option but to remove. Once I've got the thing out I'll add the grease nipple as others have done, just a precaution.  

1 minute ago, CharlieCroker said:

Haha, where there's a will!

Indeed. I would be prepared to order at least one replacement stud though if they're seized. Could be the body of the stud, or possibly damage to the threads if you've double-nutted, but better to be prepared than be surprised.

Luke, I know funds are tight but have you considered a replacement aluminium hub carrier from Lotus bits for £30?

Not sure if these come with the stud removed but if so it might be the cheaper option by the time you've found someone to press it out?

The problem with these is the stud seizes in the carrier and in the link arm bush, so the stud flexes until it snaps. After the amount of hydraulic force and hammering I had to do to remove a good stud, I wasnt comfortable reusing the stud.

And I fitted grease nipples to both carriers after that.

Funds are indeed tight but I never scrimp where safety is concerned. However I new hubcarrier and all the associated parts and then  pulling the bearing it won't be worth the effort for what I am engineering. Anyway I've been down in the garage today and after a couple of hours of head scratching and a few test pieces I quickly knocked up I can see a simple and effective way of achieving my goal without eventually removing the stud so no need for now. 

1 hour ago, black eclat said:

The problem with these is the stud seizes in the carrier and in the link arm bush, so the stud flexes until it snaps. After the amount of hydraulic force and hammering I had to do to remove a good stud, I wasnt comfortable reusing the stud.

And I fitted grease nipples to both carriers after that.

Thanks for the clarification Michael - makes sense