free hit
counters
I hate esprit fuel tanks! - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
jimblob

I hate esprit fuel tanks!

Its official I hate the fuel tanks on my esprit what an absolute joke of a job that is, I ended up having to cut the exit spout to get the damm thing out. Does anyone have a suggestion on replacement tank? I would want one that is slightly smaller or has a shorter exit spout to make refitting easier. 

https://goo.gl/photos/PGsToV7qSrRsAm8t8

DSC_0078.JPG

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Is there any issue with having one alloy and one steel tank? I was only planing on replacing the one tank.

Yeah - the steel one will still rot and be a complete pain in the arse to do in a couple of year ?

• Like 1

Only here once

@Matt-watts may be able to help. He made some beautiful tanks recently...

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

I'd still give Andy a call, he may just have a pair of GT3 tanks sitting around.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

Called Andy Wiltshire as mentioned already he is a very busy boy currently has orders for 90+ tanks :o so then I tried esprit engineering and they are going to sort me out a new tank for next week  :thumbup:

• Like 1

Bloody hell - that's 45 cars worth!!! At one supplier :cry:

Only here once

Don't think they are all for Esprit's Barry

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

ahh - penny drops :getmecoat:

Only here once

Shame they don't make collapsible tanks for Esprits. Be a bloody sight easier.

Margate Exotics.

You'd think you could be able to get plastic safety tanks ??? 

Only here once

Hi guys, how do you tell if a fuel tank is on its way out on a 1977 S1 Esprit and on a 1984 S3 Esprit please?

Smell of petrol and if its not the breather pipes then put your hand up under the tanks into the foam and see if they smell of fuel afterwards.  Tops rot out with water from the 1/4 light glass seal failing.

• Like 1

Don't go for aluminium replacenments as they also corrode, go to stainless steel. Some people paint their tanks with a product called POR15 which a a resin, as long as the tanks aren't completely rusted away it is supposed to work well

Colin

I was just about to say that the Ali tanks should not corrode unless they are coming into contact with a lot of salt water. Then remembered what they do to your roads over there. :getmecoat: 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

I thought that salt water was the electrolyte but ali required contact with another metal to corrode.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

As far as I know, corrosion is a similar process to oxidation (rust). Where rust requires water and oxygen, corrosion requires salt water and oxygen. That's way back to my HS chemistry so I maybe quite incorrect.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

I won't take my Esprit out in the Winter time andwith roads heavily sprayed with salt. I have aluminium tanks. They have been there for five years and they're fine.

Cheers,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

I would want one that is slightly smaller or has a shorter exit spout to make refitting easier. 

I seem to remember reading in another fuel tank message thread on the Esprit forum that one manufacturer's tank was shaped so that it slipped in without the problems of the original tank. Perhaps it had curved edges or was slightly smaller.

Try the search function of the forum ;)