free hit
counters
Is dipped beam adjustable? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I know it's probably a stupid question, but for me the dipped beam seems a bit too low and doesn't shine nearly far enough for me to  see 60mph worth of road ahead...

I've never had a car with HID's before, so I was kind of expecting a knob to adjust the beam angle, but I can't find one and I have just checked the manual!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Believe it or not, but after well over 2 years of Evora ownership (2 successive cars), I had never driven either of them in the dark until yesterday evening. I was prompted by your thread to go out an

From your maintenance manual (part sn_mr_electrics_evora_0): Headlamp Beam Alignment Using beam setting equipment compatible with local regulations, position th

If you are refering to a headlight leveling switch unfortunately the evora doesn't have one. you will have to adjust the headlights themselves white plastic adjuster (1

If you are refering to a headlight leveling switch unfortunately the evora doesn't have one.

you will have to adjust the headlights themselves white plastic adjuster (10mm in size) visable after pulling back the wing liner, there is a circle panel,but inveriably the fixings are seized solid and it is much easier to just pull the wing liner back with the wheels on full lock.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Yorkshire's only Main dealer Lotus technician.

From your maintenance manual (part sn_mr_electrics_evora_0):

Headlamp Beam Alignment

1. Using beam setting equipment compatible with local regulations, position the machine between 300 and 700mm in front of the LH headlamp, and parallel with the two headlamp units using the sight bar or similar device dependent on the machine design, to ensure cross car match. Use the guides provided on the machine to ensure the correct height and lateral setting.

2. Switch on the headlamp dip beams and check the lateral beam alignment. The ‘knee point’ of the beam cut off line must lie within a tolerance of 2% to the passenger side, and 0%. Check the vertical alignment of the dip beam which must lie within a tolerance of -0.5% and -2%.

3. If adjustment is required, turn the steering to full lock to facilitate removal of the four screws retaining the access cover in the wheelarch liner.

4. Each headlamp assembly features two adjustment screws, one for vertical, and one for horizontal aim (USA cars - vertical only). To adjust the beam laterally, turn the inboard adjuster screw. Turn clockwise to adjust the beam to the right. Optimum setting is 0%. To adjust the beam vertically, turn the outboard ad- juster screw. Turn clockwise to raise the beam. Optimum setting is -1.2%. Re-check lateral alignment.

5. Repeat for the opposite lamp.

6. Re-fit the access cover in the wheelarch liner. 

• Like 2

Thanks guys - I did see the section on adjustment in the owner's book, but it read like 'Trust us, we done a proper job in the factory, don't mess with it! Here's how you mess with it...'

2 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

From your maintenance manual (part sn_mr_electrics_evora_0):

Headlamp Beam Alignment

1. Using beam setting equipment compatible with local regulations, position the machine between 300 and 700mm in front of the LH headlamp, and parallel with the two headlamp units using the sight bar or similar device dependent on the machine design, to ensure cross car match. Use the guides provided on the machine to ensure the correct height and lateral setting.

2. Switch on the headlamp dip beams and check the lateral beam alignment. The ‘knee point’ of the beam cut off line must lie within a tolerance of 2% to the passenger side, and 0%. Check the vertical alignment of the dip beam which must lie within a tolerance of -0.5% and -2%.

3. If adjustment is required, turn the steering to full lock to facilitate removal of the four screws retaining the access cover in the wheelarch liner.

4. Each headlamp assembly features two adjustment screws, one for vertical, and one for horizontal aim (USA cars - vertical only). To adjust the beam laterally, turn the inboard adjuster screw. Turn clockwise to adjust the beam to the right. Optimum setting is 0%. To adjust the beam vertically, turn the outboard ad- juster screw. Turn clockwise to raise the beam. Optimum setting is -1.2%. Re-check lateral alignment.

5. Repeat for the opposite lamp.

6. Re-fit the access cover in the wheelarch liner. 

Thanks - I was thinking that adjusting it might make it fail an MOT instantly! Are the UK alignment charts easy to come by?

Believe it or not, but after well over 2 years of Evora ownership (2 successive cars), I had never driven either of them in the dark until yesterday evening. I was prompted by your thread to go out and see for myself and you're absolutely right: the distance of road illuminated on dipped beam is incredibly short. Around town and on lit major roads it's not noticeable, but as soon as I pulled out onto a non-illuminated dual carriageway and got up to NSL, it was worrying how little of the road ahead was lit up in comparison to the speed travelled. These are the sort of roads where you spend most of your time on dipped beam at night, due to the continual flow of oncoming traffic on the opposing carriageway. It would concern me if travelling on a road I wasn't familiar with.

On a related note, I have never been impressed with the so-called advances in headlamp technology over the past couple of decades. As far as I can tell, it's all a great deal more expense and complication for no real improvement in performance, particularly when you spend 90% of your driving time on dipped beam anyway.

Edit: if you need big light, get one of these:

Maxi%20bumper_zpsxbmibmvv.jpg

Edited by LotusLeftLotusRight
photo added
  • Like 2

Unfortunately there's a very fine line on low slung cars between headlight beam reach on the road and blinding oncoming drivers. 

It may be of no comfort but the visibility on dipped beam on the Evora is a vast improvement over my VX220 and Elises I have driven

True, but at least on my other low car, with an internal level adjustment, I have a choice as to who's visibility I care about the most! If I adjust my Evora to be still legal but up a bit and it turns out it's too high for oncoming traffic, I'd have to park up to fix it!

If it's set within the legal guidelines, it won't blind oncoming traffic.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I'm sure an MOT garage wouldn't charge more than half an hour's labour max to adjust both on their machine.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

1 hour ago, JAWS said:

Joe, have you tried putting a few bags of cement in the boot. Job done.:P

49kg probably won't make much difference unfortunately - but as long as I constantly accelerate hard I can see a bit further :D

Job done! :D

Evora NA