free hit
counters
Turbo Esprit Exhaust Manifold remanufacture - Page 4 - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Turbo Esprit Exhaust Manifold remanufacture

For what it's worth it looks like I am going to be veering towards considering the new Alunox solution as I'm not having any luck getting an update on the Lotus solution. I look forward to hearing more when there is more information available.

Bibs if you're reading this I'm sure everyone that had shown an interest in the possibility of a new Lotus manifold would be interested to know what their current position is before committing to an alternative solution. I've tried the PM route but have had no reply.

Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

There's no news to share apart from my friend, the head of aftersales has just left. I'll chase them up on Monday and see if anyone else will take up the project. 

As you can see from my signature, I get an awful lot of messages and sometimes if they're sent outside of office hours I miss them. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Thanks Bibs - I had refrained from sending you a PM for the reasons you mention but I had asked a couple of times for an update on this topic as its the only other option we have but got no reply and to be fair it has been some time since we first started talking about this. No issue though and I look forward to hearing back from you. Doesn't sound likely it's going to happen now though but let's see how you get on. Thanks 

• Like 1

Federal car owners should be OK emissions equipment-wise, as the Lotus air injection fittings tap right into the head, not the exhaust manifold.

Cooler running tube manifold and increased flow may change the tuning a bit, but as long as you still have your cat converter installed I'd guess you be OK, unless you live in California where the visual test would fail at the sight of the shiny SS pipes, whether you're smoggy or not.

• 3 weeks later...

Despite not having a G-Esprit myself, I personally would like to see this happening - Lotus making a new batch of exhaust manifolds. It would be SO nice to see Lotus acting on behalf on their customers through many years - decades. They might even go so far as to think of making other parts as well! Okay, that's dreaming, but still... I know I would buy many parts, if only they would make them.

Think it's time for a split between the threads on the Lotus manifold and the alternative one(s).

Kind regards,

Jacques.

• Like 1

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

I spoke with Mike Taylor from Lotusbits about this and he would be willing to do a run of cast iron factory spec manifolds if there was sufficient interest. He would need 20 orders to make it worth his while. The guide price was £500-£600 plus VAT for each unit. Can we have a show of hands please?

i agree with Jaques about splitting the thread and will have a go at that later this morning.

• Like 1

2 for me Jonny.  I dont know exactly how they are machined but would they need the original tooling?  Can they get hold of it?  Would the material be identical to original or the newer slightly more "flexible" material used on the last run?

Are there any reports of problems with the units that were cast in 2010?

• Like 1

Hallelujah there is a God!! That's great news Jonny - if need be to make the numbers up put me down for 2 please. I'm pretty sure @Hopo is still keen for an original spec one and he also reckoned a lot of the Lotus Esprit parts suppliers would be keen too. Keep us posted. Thanks for your efforts and I really hope this route can become a reality as I'm desperate to get my Turbo back on the road again 

I also thought it made sense to ask SWLC if they were interested in getting some early Turbo manifolds made, given they've recently made the waste gate adapters. I will pass on what I hear back from them.

I make the number 6 so far (including one for me). We need another 14 before we can talk seriously about getting them made, so now is the time for anyone else to come forward if they're interested.

What about the other parts suppliers such as the ones that were listed here previously - I don't know any of them personally but if someone does then please make contact. If nobody has a contact for each I'm happy to give them all a call but clearly if someone here has contacts at each then it would certainly make more sense for them to do it. 

Here is the list : 

SJ Sportscars, PNM, GST, Lakeside, Morland Jones, Paul Matty's & Bell & Colvill

I will message those like Hopo that showed an interest previously 

I've just spoken with the factory and they're going to update me on where they are at as soon as they have time.

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Thanks Gordon - the more the merrier although I'm not entirely sure how we manage these overseas orders.......but where there's a will there's away. Now up to 13 then.......I think I can hear the subtle sound of the reawakening of my Turbo - can't come quick enough but won't rush it and make daft decisions I'll only regret. Deserves to be seen on the road though, not left sitting in the garage ......:thumbsup:

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Good stuff Brooke - definitely better to have a spare manifold so you don't end up with the problem I have.

Hoping to hear some news back from Jonny soon who is working hard on a solution as stated previously. Still also hoping to hear back from Lotus too via Bibs - it's just a bit frustrating the time it's taken so far but I know this can't be helped.

I sometimes wonder if my poor car will ever be seen cruising down the open road again.......I need to keep the faith!

OK chaps, just been talking to the very helpful bunch at SWLC. They made some wastegate adapters recently so I thought they'd be good to talk to having just gone through a similar process. The key to the whole thing is getting the moulds off Lotus. They said that new moulds would cost anywhere up to £18,000 to have made and that is not an investment they're prepared to make at the moment despite the offer of 14 orders from customers alone. If we can get hold of the moulds SWLC can do the rest and obviously at a much more reasonable price (no figures mentioned at this stage). But this explains why Mike wants a minimum of 20 orders, it's just to cover the upfront cost of the moulds. SWLC said they would get some made if we got some produced elsewhere provided they were up to the required standard. From a recent batch of 20 later manifolds made 3 weren't usable, so there will be wasteage to cover which will add to the cost. I have no doubt we can get to 20 with orders from the dealers but it still sounds like the best route is to try and put pressure on Lotus to give us the moulds. It will be far from straight forward with some at Lotus denying the existence of the moulds but the last batch must have been produced by something!

I will try and make contact with the Lotus parts guy today. It may help to have some deposits sitting somewhere but I will let everyone know about that in due course.

Fingers crossed we get some progress on this soon. 

• Like 1

Fingers & toes crossed this end Jonny - thanks for all your efforts. You've no idea just how happy I will be if we ever get this off the ground. In fact probably you will - think along the lines of your Compomotive project.........but with even more emphasis as at least you could drive your car before. Thanks again mate

That implies that SWLC manage to get the wastegate adaptor molds from Lotus which is interesting.

The wastegate adaptor is a pretty complex part. The manifold should be far simpler to sandcast and machine if molds are available, there are only two machined plane faces on it.

I have the details of the foundry and spoke with them when we remade the manifolds several years ago. The tool actually belongs to Lotus and they can't use it without their permission. 

Evora NA