free hit
counters
Turbo Esprit Exhaust Manifold remanufacture - Page 5 - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Turbo Esprit Exhaust Manifold remanufacture

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Last time I chased was last week and the chap in ASO is on holiday this week. 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I just had a look at my spare one regards copying it (copyright issue alert!) but it would be really difficult.

The shape is too convoluted to get the internal shape using silicone rubber, even by doing each of the 4 pipes individually. The internal shape would either need to be 3D modelled from scratch or fabricated from tubes. 

I would think that they probably made the original internal mold from a fabricated tube working prototype then worked the exterior mold from a negative of the interior. 

• 2 weeks later...

We need to chase Lotus and do what we can to put pressure on them to find the moulds. I'm not sure what that would involve. I guess relentless badgering? Stephen could be just the man for the job! :wink: I'll give it a go next week but have been pretty frantic this week.

I spoke to Lotusbits again and they'll still need 20 customer orders, this does not include dealer orders which are to remain separate for various reasons, even though I'm certain many will buy. Mike would also want 50% upfront and needs 20 orders to cover the cost of the moulds. 

The key remains getting the moulds from Lotus as we would already have enough orders to proceed.

On 2/16/2016 at 23:09, Bibs said:

Foundry has the tools and have put in a quote to Lotus to make some more, they're just working out if they can machine them and will get back to me shortly I'm sure. 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

39 minutes ago, Andyww said:

If Lotus have lost/destroyed the machining jigs or CNC, or no longer have a sample I would be happy to loan my unused one if they need it.

Is that a chink of light I see in a very dark frustrating situation......? Thanks for offering Andy. If you like you can give it to me and I'll hold on to it for a while.......:thumbup:

Jonny I'm happy to help but I don't really know where to start - a couple of pointers please and I'm happy to try. Bibs is really the man to influence Lotus and he's trying from what I understand - so what do we do?

• 2 weeks later...

The new Head of Aftersales has left. Don't hold your breath. 

Evora NA

• 11 months later...

Hi all

I've spoken to lotus and the foundry and am waiting for Lotus to come back with permission or not ...... see below

Dear Mr Sutton,

Thank you for your e-mail.

I have refered this to our Aftersales department for thier agreement - I'll come back to you as soon as i have nay news.

Kind regards,

Neil Turner

Warranty & Customer Services Manager

LOTUS CARS LIMITED, Hethel, Norwich, Norfolk, NR14 8EZ, England

T: +44 (0)1603 732194 | E: [email protected]

15 minutes ago, Tim said:

I have refered this to our Aftersales department for thier agreement - I'll come back to you as soon as i have nay news.

Neil Turner

Warranty & Customer Services Manager

LOTUS CARS LIMITED, Hethel, Norwich, Norfolk, NR14 8EZ, England

T: +44 (0)1603 732194 | E: [email protected]

Is Neil Scottish or is he referring to horsepower? 

• 1 month later...

Did this ever get resolved folks?

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

• 9 months later...

They still have my manifold as a basis for this.

I've just e-mailed Neil to find out what they are doing with it.

Chris

I emailed them. No reply, but received a text from DHL stating that there is a delivery from Lotus cars due today!

That's  good Chris

Quite unbelievable the difficulty to get agreement to get these remanufactured. They won't really support the cars but seem to actively make life difficult for the enthusiasts. 

I think I'd be tempted to bypass them and just do it. Are they really going to sue a few owners for having a few exhaust manifolds made? In my job I deal with a number of very well know companies and no matter how insignificant a request or question is trying to get someone from these companies to put their name to a decision in nearly impossible. Maybe this is similar, meaning bypassing them and just doing it would be no issue at all.

i suppose new tooling would be a cost issue as maybe the original tooling can't be used?

The poor publicity that potential new car owners could read about could be huge

Not sure you are right Buddsy about them having a pattern.

Lotus picked up my manifold which was from the previous batch so that they could make the pattern for a new batch.

Don't know what they have done or if they have used it, but it was due back on Friday.

• 2 months later...

I've had my manifold returned after being used as a template for the remanufacture, and was told that it was going ahead.