free hit
counters
Parking Sensor Problem - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Hi Everyone,

The last day or so my parking sensors have given up the ghost, I get one almost constant beep with a fraction of a second pause approx every second its so small it pretty much just sounds like one constant fluctuating beep. It does this regardless of what is in front of the sensors, I have tried cleaning them with no success, my guess is either a sensor or the parking ECU (9 below: A132M0235F) have gone bad.

Has anyone had this before or has any ideas?

17_33.gif

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks, I have just spoken to a fairly knowledgeable ebay seller who sells the sensors for approx £17 he talked me through some diagnostics to work out if its the sensor (common) or the channel o

I just replaced the parking sensor cable this morning - so ill share how to do it whilst it's fresh in my mind.  Very straightforward and does not require diffuser removal.  Just a couple of tips

Posted Images

I found the manual for a similar cobra unit, it sounds like that is a dignostic beep for one of the sensors, probably sensor 1

http://www.scribd.com/doc/229264711/Cobra-Park-Master-R0390-R0290-R0190-Installation-and-Configuration-Guide-Rev-1#scribd

Health check

The system reports any failures of sensors or the ECU with a long beep followed by beeps associated to the fault detected. The system signals any faults upon ignition on and during operation.

Sensor 1 fault1 long beep followed by 1 beep Contact your installer

Sensor 2 fault 1 long beep followed by 2 beeps Contact your installer

Sensor 3 fault 1 long beep followed by 3 beeps Contact your installer

Sensor 4 fault 1 long beep followed by 4 beeps Contact your installer

Central unit fault 1 long beep followed by 5 beeps Contact your installer

Thanks,

I have just spoken to a fairly knowledgeable ebay seller who sells the sensors for approx £17 he talked me through some diagnostics to work out if its the sensor (common) or the channel on the unit (rare) and it looks like its just the sensor. The trick is to stick your ear right up to them and you should hear them clicking if they dont either the sensor, loom or channel is faulty. You can then check the channel by swapping it with another working sensor. On my cay they are fitted 1 to 4 right to left standing behind the car looking forward.

They look pretty easy to remove as you can get your hand behind them, I did have visions of having to remove the diffuser!

So new sensor on the way should hopefully resolve it nice and cheaply! :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391343885583

My unit looks slightly different to yours but I guess they are the same, I wonder what the difference is between Rev 1 and 1.1 lol

20160108_125005.jpg

• Like 2

Probably got a pinch clip?

as in, they'd remove in a direction away from the car, but must be squeezed behind the panel?

On Order: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

10 minutes ago, CocoPops said:

Probably got a pinch clip?

as in, they'd remove in a direction away from the car, but must be squeezed behind the panel?

Thanks Lee, I found this:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f417/diy-cf-diffuser-diffuser-finisher-replacement-278569/#post3743153

Which looks the same as the new one but I cant feel any of the 4 leg clip bits on the one on the car, I will have another try

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, w022a said:

Hi James.  this thread was really helpful in isolating the issue on my parking sensor system to a cable fault for sensor 4.  Any advice on running the new cable?  Thanks

Hi, glad it helped but im not sure, I got Lotus Silverstone to replace mine, it all looked lit a bit of a nightmare :)

Edited by j141

Thanks.

If it's helpful for others, i struggled for a little while trying to work out how to remove a parking sensor as I found it tricky to get my hand behind it under the diffuser.  There sensors have the retainer fabricated as part of the housing.  They can be removed by gently prising out from the front with a flat-head screwdriver (covered in a cloth  of cardboard so as not to damage senosor of diffuser).   Work you way round it gently prising it.  Be patient and it will pop out just fine.

If it was just the sensor and not the wire that failed the replacement would be very simple.

p.s. jonny, I've introduced myself properly now, thanks!

I just replaced the parking sensor cable this morning - so ill share how to do it whilst it's fresh in my mind.  Very straightforward and does not require diffuser removal.  Just a couple of tips

1) You can't relay on the cobra fault signals to diagnose the issue with wiring fault.  It basically chimed continuous beeps so didn't really indicate which sensor was faulty.  You can feel if a sensor is working by lightly running your finger over it

2) Once you're found the bad one, be sure to swap channels on the Parking sensor ECU to confirm it's not an issue with the channel in the ECU.

Here are the steps to replace a cable;

3) Remove parking sensor from diffuser as per my last post.

4) Starting the ECU, pull affected senosr wire out and it from all the retaining clips  until you get to a rubber grommet in the middle of rear transform where the wires egress the car (you'll need to pull back the carpet on floor, sides and back).  You'll see 2 grommets. Sensor 1 and 2 go through a grommet on the right.  Sensors 3 and 4  through a grommet on the left

5) Pull the grommet out of the body and peel of the blob of silicon / mastic so the wires can move freely through it.

6) Unclip the old sesnor wire from sesnsor a and from the 2 retaining clips underneath the diffuser.  This is the trickiest bit since it's hard to get your had there but the clips work exactly the same way as the ones on the boot.  Once you're released it from the clips, you can pull the old wire out from the bottom.  You'll need to help it as the ECU connector passes through the grommet.

7) Drop the new wire (including the rear sensor rubber cap) through the hole in the body where the grommet goes.  drops through nicely and youll be able to grab it under the diffuser and chase it through the retaining clips you removed from the old wire.

8) Thread the ECU end of sensor wire connect through the grommet until you've removed all the slack in the cable.  Then push the grommet back into place.

9) Reconnect the wire to ECU and run it back through the series of retaining clips

10) Plug the sensor in (but don't re-insert properly yet).  Test!  Should be all good now

11) Push sensor fully back into place. Re-apply silicon or some kind of sealant to the grommet to prevent water ingress into boot.  Job done.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 years later...
On 06/01/2018 at 10:54, w022a said:

1) You can't relay on the cobra fault signals to diagnose the issue with wiring fault.  It basically chimed continuous beeps so didn't really indicate which sensor was faulty.  You can feel if a sensor is working by lightly running your finger over it

2) Once you're found the bad one, be sure to swap channels on the Parking sensor ECU to confirm it's not an issue with the channel in the ECU.

Here are the steps to replace a cable;

3) Remove parking sensor from diffuser as per my last post.

4) Starting the ECU, pull affected senosr wire out and it from all the retaining clips  until you get to a rubber grommet in the middle of rear transform where the wires egress the car (you'll need to pull back the carpet on floor, sides and back).  You'll see 2 grommets. Sensor 1 and 2 go through a grommet on the right.  Sensors 3 and 4  through a grommet on the left

5) Pull the grommet out of the body and peel of the blob of silicon / mastic so the wires can move freely through it.

6) Unclip the old sesnor wire from sesnsor a and from the 2 retaining clips underneath the diffuser.  This is the trickiest bit since it's hard to get your had there but the clips work exactly the same way as the ones on the boot.  Once you're released it from the clips, you can pull the old wire out from the bottom.  You'll need to help it as the ECU connector passes through the grommet.

7) Drop the new wire (including the rear sensor rubber cap) through the hole in the body where the grommet goes.  drops through nicely and youll be able to grab it under the diffuser and chase it through the retaining clips you removed from the old wire.

😎 Thread the ECU end of sensor wire connect through the grommet until you've removed all the slack in the cable.  Then push the grommet back into place.

9) Reconnect the wire to ECU and run it back through the series of retaining clips

10) Plug the sensor in (but don't re-insert properly yet).  Test!  Should be all good now

11) Push sensor fully back into place. Re-apply silicon or some kind of sealant to the grommet to prevent water ingress into boot.  Job done.

Hi I have exactly the same problem faulty wire to sensor 4 where did you get replacement cable from please? I have removed diffuser but the exhaust heat shield seems to be in the way of me getting to the sensor cables did you remove this or bend back the black plastic diffuser trim piece that contains the sensors? It's tight in there...

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My rear parking sensors also gave up the ghost recently. After swapping a couple of the sensors I figured it had to be the wiring or the ECU, so I took a punt on a secondhand Cobra ECU from a Seat Leon mk2 from eBay for £20.

Luckily for me, it’s a perfect substitute and sorted out the problem The sensors sound a little quieter than the original ones, but as they’re substantially cheaper than ones from Lotus I can live with it.