free hit
counters
alunox exhaust manifold installation. - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

alunox exhaust manifold installation.

Jacques

I can say that the original set up have the 30mm distance, and in that position everything firs perfectly. The new alunox manifold does not allow this at all. There is nil (0) mm left between the turbo and the chargecooler. Hence the problems with heat shield, waterconnection, the cat and the exhaust. It simply puts too much stress on each component and does not allow cat and exhaust to be installed. The angle itself is also a bit off - I'd say 3-4 degrees.

I can clearly see on the silicone hose, where it have been positioned at each end. There will be a Little distance at each end to allow for installing, of course, but not this much.

I have undone the two Flex couplings too, and there is no way I can move the tubes. They are stuck, and if I can, the collector part will move rearwards and upwards because of the angle. That will position the turbo further away from the engine, which is good, but at a wrong angle. There is then the two lost Flex couplings too, if that would be the case. I've read, that one of the finest points of the alunox manifold, and one reason why it holds up, is the flexcouplings, so don't want to Loose those too. It anyway does not fit. Then there would still be a mismatch to the cat and exhaust relating to height.

Hmm... I have an idea to measure up the relative positions of the old cast manifold and the new alunox one, by making a simple jig from a board that I position and fasten the original manifold on to. Then take it off and position the new alunox manifold in those same 12 holes and measure up the differences. It waill probably have to be in 3 planes though. I'll get back later if i manage to set it up and measure, and report back.

Other than that, I am out of ideas. I woldn't know how to Work on the new alunox manifold in it's 321ss with varying thickness and all, though.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

does sound like either the jig slipped, or else the welder did all the welding on one side at a time rather than tacking around each part (kinda like how you tighten lug nuts in a star pattern) to prevent weld shrinkage causing distortion...  Maybe they had a less experienced welder work on some? or they welded some in a hurry.  I often laser weld titanium and it shrinks a ton!  You have to carefully fixture the parts, clamp them, and then perform tack welds on all sides before the seam weld, to prevent distortion.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Pete, I have not spoken to alunox for reasons I cannot write here, I'm afraid. That's a 10 months long story. Back to manifold, so I can say, that I would really like that manifold to fit and Work as described. I cannot find a better one, I think. It just seem to be bad made, somehow.

Yes Travis. I think something along that line too. That is why I will make up a sort of measuring box for both and find out the actual difference. I will commence that tomorrow afternoon. I've just picked up the original manifold. I need to go out and buy 12 8mm bolts, some big washers and some non-locking nuts, plus some Wood.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

When I fitted mine, I had to disassemble it, put the tubes on the head with the nuts on to stop them coming off, then fit the collector and put the backets back on, to get it to fit.  Like yours the turbo was slightly out of line which also means the decat pipe and exhaust were also out of line and needed fettling.  More of a faf to fit than I thought but in terms of performance and sound well worth it.  Hope you get it sorted.

• Like 1

HI all,

Today I made up a jig to measure the difference between the original manifold and the alunox manifold. It shows a difference in length of apprx. 8mm. of which the alunox manifold is the shorter, and a difference in height of apprx. 9mm of which the alunox manifold is higher. It therefore brings the turbo rather much out of it's correct position, and lot letting the heat shield, the cat, one of the Water connections and the exhaust to be installed.

If it is constructed to be so much out of true because it will twist, bend and change it's shape during the first many heat cycles, remains to be answered, or if it just changes it's shape because it is being forced to do so, because it's being subjected to tensions.

Personally, I would have liked the expensive alunox exhaust manifold to have been made with precision and correct dimensions to be installed under normal conditions according to Lotus specifications, so not to be forced to alter the spec. of the Lotus Esprit chargecooler car.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

Sounds like its the same as mine. Have you removed the forward coolant fitting yet? If not, do that first, and try it again. I might be able to find the details of the coolant fitting you need to get it to fit, let me know?

Margate Exotics.

Done!

The procedure for installing the alunox exhaust manifold is the following:

- Installed the four primaries loosely into the secondaries, and installed that on the old cast manifold.

- If the 4 primaries are stuck, knock them off with a piece of Wood carefully, and clean up the double walls with brake cleaner, and eventually lightly sand the coupling surfaces, where applicable and finally smear them all with Wera 1400 degree celsius anti seize paste. That is your friend!

- Then I installed the alunox, now with precision adjustment from the old manifold , on to the cylinderhead.

- Attatch the turbo on to the exhaust manifold flange on the secondaries. Let it rest on Loose nuts on the cylinderhead for a day.

- I then went on loosening the 12 nuts on the cylinderhead a bit, say two rounds.

- Then I jiggeled and pushed the secondaries towards the engine, (with a Little help) so they came nearer the primaries.

- I did that successively, while all the time checking how much the turbo came closer to the chargecooler. 4 times in all.

- When I was satisfied with the distance between the turbo and the chargecooler and engine, that is horizontally, I noted that the tyrbo also had come further Down than on the Picture from yesterday (above), as it is angeled: the closer it comes to the engine, the further Down it comes. See piture below.

- Then I tightened up the turbo to manifold, and installed the silicone hose between the chargecooler and the turbo. It fitted as intended.

- Then I went on installing the new free flow cat and it's prolonged tube (void the ebpv), and blocked it's hose, plus installed the new oxygen sensor.

- Then jiggleing everything to take tensions and ensure exhaust gasket (rear) sits correctly. Then tightening the 12 nuts on the cylinderhead.

- Then installing the last remaining hoses, waterhoses, oil hoses etc. and connect the plug for the oxygensensor. Need new rubber grommet there.

- Then thightening the cat to turbo and once more on cat to exhaust.

- Prime the oil, Water and then start. Let it heat up to normal driving temp and turn off to cool Down.

- Will retighten all in a few days after a few heat cycles.

- The waterfittings and heatshield do not interfeer and sit's normally and detatchable as intended.

- Everything seems normal at this point. Engine is running smoothly and normal. I'll connect the aldl to my laptop and inspect on that next time I start the engine.

- need new locking clip for the wastegate actuator.

I have not installed the two double slipcoupling bands, and not installed the adjustable support bracket, only the brackets. Will do later, when everything is setteled.

This method is working with the original positions and the opriginal bits and bobs, no need for alteration!

Big thank you to everyone involved!

I'll report back in the spring, how it drives ;) Pretty exited about it. Come April, please!

Please...

Cheers,

Jacques.

ps: eventually, take a look at my thread: Little Red Riding Hood for pics etc. I still thinks that alunox could have done this more accurately!!!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hi all, just a quick query - I have read on these various manifold threads that Aerotight nuts are not as highly heat rated as K-nuts which was a surprise.

I actually bought Aerotights in preference to the M6 oval manifold nuts supplied with the kits, which looked a bit cheap and flimsy.

Can anyone confirm if the supplied bright aluminium oval nuts are genuine K-nuts? They look a lot less "industrial" than the ones pictured on the K-Nut website thus;

k_nut.jpg

Q. Should I be swapping the Aerotights immediately or just see how they get on?

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

All I can say is, that I bought mine with the K-nuts and they Work very well. No flimsyness or going loose.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

ps: the manifold really gives some power and torque. But mostly comes into play with other mods.

Well who would have guessed. The aerotights look beefy and engineered, those K nuts look like they would melt in a mug of hot tea!

Is it worth swapping? I could actually get them on behind the aerotights as a lock nut!

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

I wonder how hot this is? @Andrew C?

esprit_engine_test.jpg

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

At night, I was on occasion able to read by the light of Bibs' exhaust as he drew alongside.

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

39 minutes ago, Sparky said:

At night, I was on occasion able to read by the light of Bibs' exhaust as he drew alongside.

I used to enjoy the glow of the engine bay of an evening :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

:thumbup:

Evora NA

• 2 weeks later...