free hit
counters
S2 doors almost impossible to open :-/ - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

S2 doors almost impossible to open :-/

Well, just got my S2 today, and first trouble -> I can't open doors of the car (don't laugh please :blush:)
It probably should be very smooth to do it, but for for reason it's not...
When I insert the key, should I have to turn it to the extreme left, and then lift flap, or should I have to turn right, and then lift flap ? Or do I have to turn the key while I lift up the flap ?
Damn, I tired very hard all the combinations, but it can't open the doors. I've successfully opened the passenger's door once  but I'm really afraid about breaking something by doing things so hard!
It is supposed to be smooth, or do I miss something? 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Sounds as if the front hinge has worn and the door has dropped at the rear with it snagging on the lock. Try lifting the back of the door up as you unlock and lift the handle.

Could be the hinges... could also be shot door latch mechanism. 

You don't need to turn and pull though. Just unlock and then pull. Do try lifting a bit. Mine opens much easier due to worn hinges when you lift the door a bit. 

It's something like that, yes ->

On 11/1/2016 at 22:01, v8vantage said:

Sounds as if the front hinge has worn and the door has dropped at the rear with it snagging on the lock. Try lifting the back of the door up as you unlock and lift the handle.

Fortunately I'm now able to open the passenger door. I had to lift a little bit the door while I'm pulling (but still quite hard)  the handle.
But still impossible to open the driver's door for the outside so far. Something is obviously broken on that level :-(
Next time I'll have access to the car I'll compare the difference between the two doors in order to figure out what & where the problem is located.

Have you tries opening the drivers door from the inside? Maybe there's a problem with the outside latch but the inner might work. to unlock from inside push the lock tab towards the front of the car.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Yes, both door can be opened from the inside. The problem is probably located to the outside latch on the driver's side. I'll closely check the difference between the two outside latch by comparing them (one is hardly working, the other one isn't working) when I'll have access to the car (not at home so far... my garage is not ready yet). Anyway, thanks to all for your feedback regarding my problem.

When you get there, as long as the door is open, it's easy to remove the inner door card so you can get to the rods for the door lock mechanism. The plastic surround for the inner handle is in 2 pieces and just pops out then there are just 2 screws at each end of the door to undo, unless a previous owners has added any 'modifications'.

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

• 1 month later...

Ok, now that the car is finally inside my garage, I can check the problem... and here it is : the left door cannot be opened from the outside. Here's the fact :

- The key seems to 'almost' lock/unlock the door properly
- Once unlocked, there is NO problem to open the door from the inside
- The external handle has no effect. Impossible to open the door from the outside :-(

So following that diagram :

lotusdoor0.jpg.e4e8917d2db6285234bebbbc7

... from my understanding, I should have a problem around the 16,9 or 11 bar?

There's only way to figure this -> removing the inner door card! Damn, I've never done this on a car :-S 

In order to avoid breaking more stuff, let me ask you how to remover the inner door card please.
Here's the general view :

lotusdoor1.jpg.20369a4786ed940445a4e59c6

1. I see this screw, should I remove it ? ->
lotusdoor2.jpg.2653ccef75383e72129a9a978

2. What about this one? Should I have to remove it too? ->
lotusdoor3.jpg.b7e39b41d9aae2da1c6dda8b2

3. Should I have to remove these three screws from that inside latch/handle ? ->

lotusdoor4.jpg.0c8561f5f25652d59c82dca4d

4. When I look on the bottom of the door, I see holes... anything to do over there? ->

lotusdoor5.jpg.b8afffbef686ba87885c71cce

Is there anything else to remove before pulling off that inner door card?

Many thanks for all your advices on this.

Edited by Darth Bruno
mistake

That seems to cover it... IIRC, it's only 2 of the handle screws that need to be loosened. Once loosened, you can get the plastic surround off and make sure the mech is free. Leave the handle itself in place...

for the card itself, once those two screws are out, lift it away at th bottom, then up to get it off completely.

ATB

Easy. Remove screws in pics 1 & 2. The the plastic surround around the inner handle is 2 pieces of plastic. Stick a flat head screwdriver into the join on each side of the handle and one half will go up, the other down. Pop them off then the door card is free. Lever it out over the inner handle and there will be a lip along the top that hooks onto the inner door so just make sure you remove the card upwards.

Pic 4 are the drain holes for water. Leave the screws alone in Pic 3.

Pete

• Like 2

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Thanks guys for your fast answers :)

10 hours ago, peteyg said:

...then the plastic surround around the inner handle is 2 pieces of plastic. Stick a flat head screwdriver into the join on each side of the handle and one half will go up, the other down. Pop them off then the door card is free.

OK, so using two screwdrivers like this? ->

lotusdoor6.jpg.f075af3d769144e5814d250b1

But what about these three screws (1,2,3) ? Should I have to 'loosened' them all, or should I have to completely 'remove' them all?

When I'll remove the card upwards, any risk to cut the electric wiring of the 'mirror button' or speaker? I mean do the wires are long enough?

Screwdriver pics are correct, however, if you deflect the door cards in by hand, the plastic bezels may easily slide out.   The 3 screws also adjust the position of the latch, hence the suggestion to leave undisturbed, however, I always loosen them as I think it makes it easier to remove the card - but as said, no need to remove entirely.   Wires are long enough, however a spare set of hands would be useful to hold the card while you disconnect the plugs.   NB, Also pull out the plastic rivet, where the door light switch bears against, otherwise this can interfere with the card removal    

One cause of doors not opening is not enough shimming between the striker plate and the body. This causes the latch mechanism to catch on the wrong part of the U-shaped striker plate.

OK, I tried to disassemble the inner door card this morning but no success so far... :(
Here's what I've done :

First I removed these two screws :

lotusdoor3.jpg.0d4c48b51e12fcbb7d188a6f5lotusdoor2.jpg.57b623fcf2b44bc75057799bc

Then I loosen a little bit the screws 2 & 3 on the following pictures :

lotusdoor6.jpg.9d14de5f277780c3435064e92

...in order to remove these 2 plastic parts surround around the inner handle...

lotusdoor7.jpg.bebba8a62e98d446c3ba7578c

lotusdoor8.jpg.c755c3de6f0a4df181d46a2f9

At this point the inner door card is supposed to be removable like this? ->

lotusdoor9.jpg.f38abd59481941f5e2055e228

...but I can't... I'm trying first to pull the bottom of the card door (arrow 1), but something is blocking the move...

I've done a video, please have a look : http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3ta7xb_lotus-esprit-s2-card-door-removing_auto

Maybe I should pull off harder the bottom of the card door, but I'm so afraid about breaking something? :blush:
It looks like it cannot be removed because of the inner handle still the way? Should I loosen more (or removed?) the three screws from the inner handle?

Edited by Darth Bruno
correction

Looks to me like you're going about it the right way. 

When the door card does come free at the bottom, you need it jiggle it round a bit to get it over the handle, but as Pete says, no need to remove the handle.

I imagine it  iS pretty well stuck in place over time, but you should be able to lever if off without breaking anything, it's quite thick glass fibre... Unless a PO tried to secure it with glue?

The inner handle is larger than the hole it needs to go out through so you will need a large screwdriver or trim tool to lever it through so the card pops off. Don't be afraid of marking the area around the handle as it's covered by the plastic trim you have already removed. By the look of your video, that's all you need to do.

Pete

• Like 1

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Thanks guys. Yes, by 'jiggle the door card round a bit to get it over the handle' + 'using a screwdriver to lever it through so the card pops off', I eventually got it off :) ->

lotusdoor10.jpg.1de373b3209a2ee43fc418a5

OK, now the serious stuff will start... to figure out why I can't open the door from the outside! I'm preparing a video to show you the problem.

• Like 1

Given that your outside latch is moving the mechanism it points to the door lock itself being faulty. You could take it out and check it on the bench to see if you can see what's wrong with it.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

You will need to disconnect the 2 clips inside the car.   Pretty fiddly if I recall.   You will see them if you put your head in there....   However there are no springs etc. to explode....  I believe the nylon part and the steel part are permanently fixed to each other

In order to fully understand how the door opening mechanism work, and to figure out my problem, I've done more test.

Here's what happen around the door latch when I open the door with the inside door handle  (picture 1 is when I do nothing, picture is when I pull the inside door handle) :

lotusdoor14.jpg.d2e516e265d0a33c470b2c45lotusdoor15.jpg.e38dbb22bfcdf438852c4066

the bar is pulling, and that kind of hook/metal bracket is going from position 1 to 2 ... and this open the door with no problem at all.

Now let's what happen around the door latch when I open the door with the outside door handle (picture 1 is when I do nothing, picture is when I pull the outside door handle):

lotusdoor12.jpg.c3d2030a43bdd46b1a776635lotusdoor13.jpg.a4a5a9d7d0e0c4a00576fa29

Two parts are moving : the kind of 'U clip' is going up and a rectangular plate (with the hole+spring in the middle) is rotating to left. These two parts are going from 1 to 2.
Butthe door doesn't open! :angry:

Is it normal that the kind of hook/metal bracket (the part moving when using the inside door handle during my first successfully test) is not moving at all?
I mean opening the door either with the inside door handle or either with the outside door handle should use at the end the same mechanism to open the door...no? :blush:
Or the door latch has inside of it TWO different system for the same result : opening the door?

Edited by Darth Bruno
correction

It's been a long time but yes I believe there are two different mechanisms as you suggest - one for the interior handle and the other for the exterior handle.

One thing to try is disconnecting the link between the outside door handle and the door lock. Then shut the door and pull the lever on the lock to see if you can then open the door. If you can it means that the link is bent, meaning it's shorter than it should be which is stopping it from pulling the lever on the lock far enough to open the door.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire