free hit
counters
S1 - tyres - Page 2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Fabian - why didn't you choose the V rated rears in 205/70 R14 95V - I know they are little more expensive, but at least they match the book spec for the speed rating - and seem to be available ??  

Hi Jon, yep could have used V rating on the rear but the forward tyres are only available in H rating as far as I can see. Since H is up to 130 mph thought I would keep them all H rated. Don't think the car will ever get over 130MPH, bits will fall off long before that speed. ????

Hi Paul, yep would have used that tyre but the front ones are not available without the really new looking tread pattern, which I didnt think would look right.

Jon, it seems the people at my tyres have decided the rears should be V rated and have upgraded them from H at no charge! Better get ready for 138 mph!

Could you post some photos showing what the sidewall and tread patterns look like please ? I'm hovering over buying the MAXXIS or the Nankangs ..

Heres the pics.image.jpg.fbe54593e36548258d8c7ed5568559image.jpg.fa7a48c5b711e9ed5da46b0d5548ffimage.jpg.a84e8bc9815c7059f833ea18cd926e

Not ideal, but at least you can match the front tyres and they don't look like they come from a very modern car.

Are the photos of the fronts or the rears, or is that them both ?    The don't look any where as nice as my NCT's, which have perfect tread but are 20 years old and I reckon its time to change them !

Rears only, still waiting for the fronts to arrive. i have unused Michellins  on the front but dont know how old they are.

There are date codes on all tyres I think, so you can can determine the manufacture date from that. Anything shorter than 4 digits indicates older than 2000.

Good video, but cant really seem them in detail, how do you know they're Maxxis?

If you look closely, you can just about make out the lettering. 1:14 mins in.

Mmm, in that case they look pretty good to me, what have you decided to use?

Whos cars that?

Thats what I thought. I'm going to do the same as you and go for Maxxis all round.  Ideally use the tyre change as an opportunity to bead blast the back of all the rims, paint the backs and the inserts and polish the faces in preparation for the summer !  Not entirely sure when that will be though..

On 22/01/2016 at 21:22, Lotusfab said:

Whos cars that?

Cos's

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

@Lotusfab - how old are the Maxxis tyres you bought from MyTyres ?  According to the Maxxis UK distributor by phone today, they have not manufactured tyres in either of those two sizes since 2012.  There is a DOT date code on the sidewall if you want to check..  Was just about to order a set, but if if the Maxxis are 'new old stock', I think I'd rather go for Nexens. 

I tried calling MyTyres by phone to ask and I got through to an offshore call-centre and couldn't make myself understood :-(

Just had a look, there's a dot that says 22? No dates? 

There should be 4 digits. The first 2 are week of manufacture, the second 2 are year eg 0414 would be the 4th week of 2014.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Nexens would probably be better if they are new. Wasn't aware the Maxxis were new old stock? Still better than the ones that were on it! Thanks for the info will have another look.