free hit
counters
Hi-Spec handbrakes - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

A heads-up for those like me who may be eagerly awaiting an improved rear handbrake caliper from Hi-Spec, as opposed to the spot handbrake caliper:- Your money's safe for another 6 months.

I dropped in to see Hi-Spec earlier, and despite the promise of availability being about now, it's not going to happen yet. Stoneleigh Kit Car Show is supposedly the next scheduled unveiling ceremony.

Also, it appears it will be a 2 or 3 piston sliding caliper, however I'm not sure of the design, nor whether it would compliment a 4-piston rear caliper but will endeavour to find out.

Margate Exotics.

• 6 months later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Installed the PNM 4 pot calipers with larger disc's and the Brembo bracket. New one piece bracket for both calipers and you flip right and left Brembo's.  2000 V8 mitch

I should just post this here for anyone interested in not having to pivot their head on the windscreen to pull their handbrake on and off. http://www.hispecmotorsport.co.uk/electronic.html P

Sorry I worded that badly, it holds hills neee problem, but the MOT tester always has a snigger at his dial guage readout. In practice it helps that the car is very light. What I dread about hill

Posted Images

Update on the electric handbrake situation:-

I spoke to Hi-Spec last week, they told me they were anticipating a January 2017 launch date. As I understand it, they will not be stand-alone units any longer (hence the design time delay), rather incorporated with a 4-piston caliper as one unit.

Margate Exotics.

• 5 months later...

I should just post this here for anyone interested in not having to pivot their head on the windscreen to pull their handbrake on and off.

http://www.hispecmotorsport.co.uk/electronic.html

PNM can supply a mechanical kit which keeps the original handbrake and cables, and uses the original Brembo rear caliper solely as the parking brake. The Hi-Spec 4-piston caliper and larger disc is specified for use with it.

There is also currently an electric standalone parking brake caliper for use with the same 4-piston kit.

The full electronic rear caliper as detailed in the link should be available later this year. Deep joy!

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

One question Ian,  You sound like this is going to be on your to do list,  will you remove the obselete handrake lever after the conversion ?  or leave the now obselete part in place ?

A

Interesting stuff, the handbrake on mine barely passes the MOT, but has stayed consistent (consitently bad) it's whole lifetime. I cant be the only one who dreads hill starts like some novice learner driver.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Sorry I worded that badly, it holds hills neee problem, but the MOT tester always has a snigger at his dial guage readout. In practice it helps that the car is very light.

What I dread about hillstarts is that awkward head-in-the-sunvisors approach that you mention. I just ride the clutch in preference (probably why my achilles tenson is borked).

• Like 1

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

8 minutes ago, Loose Cannon said:

Sorry I worded that badly, it holds hills neee problem, but the MOT tester always has a snigger at his dial guage readout. In practice it helps that the car is very light.

What I dread about hillstarts is that awkward head-in-the-sunvisors approach that you mention. I just ride the clutch in preference (probably why my achilles tenson is borked).

Part of the reason Esprit clutches don't last too long, too.

My MOT tester is always surprised at the amount of force generated by the rear calipers due to the lack of a PRV in the circuit.

Margate Exotics.

• 3 months later...

Ian, that kit from pnm you mentioned earlier using the Brembo calips solely as parking brake, is that arranged like the Sport300 solution, or ?

And does it then Work together with the braketry and HiSpec 4 piston (plus parking brake Facility now no longer used) ?  I mean that specific calipers?

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

I don't know what the Sport 300 rear brakes look like, but the PNM kit uses the original Brembo rear calipers as a parking brake, mounted on a new bracket.

Margate Exotics.

Here's a thread

by Vulcan Grey where he did his own big brake conversion that shows a nice solution to the rear brakes with a spot caliper for the handbrake in the OE position and the 4 pot calipers mounted opposite.

• 2 months later...

Anywhere close with this electronic rear handbrake? Quite like the sound of this for mine.

I'm currently using PNM large discs and rotors (can't remember the size exactly, but near enough sport 350 size I think) but with V8 brembo 4 pots on the front and standard V8 rear (Elise) calipers with th handbrake mechanism built in.

would be nice to swap the rear calipers for something slightly bigger, and the additional electronic handbrake sounds like a great upgrade!

yes, but if you want the separate electric calipers for parking, the mechanism can be left off the calipers. I adjusted mine to work okay. Separate is better though, as it holds stronger. PNM's 4 piston rear calipers can work 100% well with your existing parking brake calipers. They have a special bracket for that. It's also shown in a picture earlier in this thread. As far as I know, their electric parking brake caliper is designed to work with their other calipers, and they have bracketry for this purpose.

So, essentially, it's all up to you how you want it to be, work and integrate. Choices are there.

kind regards,

Jacques.

Some of the kits you can purchase to convert your excisting set up,  one of the ones pictured below was designed any years ago to help disabled people with the handbrake in the days before all the car companys started fitted them as standard.  Not sure what it would look like in the esprit set up,  but would help that age old leaning down problem at traffic light hill starts :)

5996b53e7b3f2_handbraketrip010.thumb.jpg.48f2a42752ea4ad9fd87d9a2fbe888d7.jpg

A

21 hours ago, Jacques said:

my rearbrakes, 322mm, thick, vented and bolted aluminium bells with 4 piston rear brake calipers and Hawk pads. They do brake.

Cheers,

Jacques

d39.JPG

This looks like a Hi-Spec caliper with AP and Lotus logos added to it. The give away is blue plaint over the bolts that hold the caliper together as these are supposed ti be self coloured. The handbrake cable looks very tight from this picture.

Got them from a guy who bought them at Lotus together with a lot of other parts from a pile they cleaned up a few years ago incl. test parts, sport300 parts, ecu's etc. They are some years old. There is no markings or engraving as on Hi-Spec etc. I was installing them on this Picture. They work perfectly and parkingbrake okay.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

• 1 month later...

It appears the Hi-Spec electronic parking brake caliper is now available, as is the sliding, single piston caliper. Obviously the single piston job will be a cheaper conversion, but the standalone is an add-on to what you already have installed, 4-piston etc.

http://www.hispecmotorsport.co.uk/epb-spot.html

Contact Pete at PNM to see how far he's got with bracketry etc.

Margate Exotics.