free hit
counters
Cruise Control - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

HI Guys,

brand new here ... just bought myself a 1982 Esprit Turbo.  First thing I want to do though , it put cruise control into the car.  Does someone have a link to an after market cruise control setup that is known to work correctly please?

thank you !

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gee, not too helpful mate :(

hmm, let me explain.  I live in rural NSW in Australia - all my driving is out on 100km roads and our Police are savage.  Last two speeding fines were for going less than 5km over the speed limit.  Once we lose points from our license, they are gone for THREE years.  We have a total of 12 points - I am now down to 5.  SO... my daily driver has cruise control, my wife's car has cruise control,  the 911 Porsche I just sold had cruise control - all because of the above.  So, now I have just purchased my Lotus, I want to put an aftermarket cruise control in the car. 

Hi Steve and welcome. I've seen cruise installed on the later EFI cars but never on a carb turbo as far as I can remember in 11 years on this forum, looks like you'll be pioneering if you do install it on your car. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

Arrgh - and we moan about the old bill over here !!!!

best of luck with a cruise control mod - I'm sure it can be done with a box of tricks - what a bummer 100km - trust me the esprit goes a bit quicker than that

Only here once

There was a cruise control option on the Elite. They likely used the same system as Jaguar. Might be possible to research this and find salvaged parts.

51 minutes ago, hepkat63 said:

just bought myself a 1982 Esprit Turbo

Welcome Steve

That is a fine vintage for the Esprit. :thumbsup:

Do you have any pictures?

The Excel SA also had cruise control - but it is an automatic as well.

Good luck,

Chris

16 minutes ago, stephenwhyte said:
1 hour ago, Bibs said:

Hi Steve and welcome. I've seen cruise installed on the later EFI cars but never on a carb turbo as far as I can remember in 11 years on this forum, looks like you'll be pioneering if you do install it on your car. 

thank you.  Yep, that's me - a pioneer !

1 hour ago, Barrykearley said:

Arrgh - and we moan about the old bill over here !!!!

best of luck with a cruise control mod - I'm sure it can be done with a box of tricks - what a bummer 100km - trust me the esprit goes a bit quicker than that

thanks - yes,sure it does :)

1 hour ago, Andyww said:

There was a cruise control option on the Elite. They likely used the same system as Jaguar. Might be possible to research this and find salvaged parts.

cool - thanks.

1 hour ago, Barrykearley said:

yes, that would work I think !

56 minutes ago, ChrisJ said:

Welcome Steve

That is a fine vintage for the Esprit. :thumbsup:

Do you have any pictures?

The Excel SA also had cruise control - but it is an automatic as well.

Good luck,

Chris

thanks Chris - I don't have pictures, just from the sales site until I get it .

16 minutes ago, stephenwhyte said:

Hi Steve - is this your new Turbo?

image.jpeg

Hi Steve - is this your new Turbo?

Yes, that's the one !  Not too many for sale in Oz !   I got it for a good price (i think), has reasonable history and has had the same owner for 15 years that has spent a fair bit of time and money sorting it all out.  Only thing I can see that is down is the paintwork - but I'm not too fussed about that.   Now, just the ten days wait while it gets shipped across the country !!

image.jpeg

• Like 1

I spend lengthy periods on the autoroutes in my 82 Turbo, and I must admit the concentration needed to keep below the 130kph limit does get tedious.....if I relax and enjoy it the kph rapidly become mph. I'd be very interested in a cruise control myself...I have looked at aftermarket ones but not found anything I liked. If anyone does get a system working, could they please share the info?

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

There are a few options for EFI cars already,  GM based. Carb cars are the ones with no options currently. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

It has occured to me that all one has to do is to control engine rpm....a vehicle speed sensor isn't really necessary. Since cruise controls drop out when you change gear or brake...it ought to be possible to rig something that uses the tachometer electrical pulses from the ignition system; a clip on detector on the distributor connection should provide a frequency for the speed control to monitor. I got stymied initially when thinking of the mechanical connection of the actuator to the throttle linkage...as one needs to use the footpedal as well....Worth some more thought, as the engine is coming out and now would be the time to sort it.

Edited by molemot
System stuttered and showed message twice!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Is there another type of cat? It's Friday,  let's say I'm not at home :)  

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/EModifications/CruiseControl.html

Evora NA

This is something I will do eventually too, I did a bit of research earlier on the aftermarket kits.  I second the 'life in Aus' speed comments!  

The kits have a servo type actuator that actually moves the accelerator pedal, based on a speed pulse signal.  From memory the link to the accelerator pedal was a fine chain rather than a bar, but I could be wrong about that.  The types of unit I saw (this is ten years ago now) used a Hall Effect pickup on a magnet bonded onto a driveshaft for their speed signal.  

There is an electrical box that basically keeps that pulse rate even by applying more or less throttle, and a micro switch for the clutch and brake that disables the system.  I'd think the tacho signal would be too high frequency compared to a once per wheel rev signal, but the theory is correct.   

I don't like the idea of the pedal moving, but the throttle linkage in our cars requires the cable to be in tension from the carbs onwards, so fitting the actuator elsewhere so as to not move the pedal needs some thought.  Possibly fitted to the lever the cable pulls on on the left hand side of the pedal box?  

I had mental  images of feet trapped under the accelerator pedal!  The other thing I'd do is fit a kill switch somewhere on the power feed.  Also most of the control stalks are hideous!

Cheers,

Simon

On 20/1/2016 at 13:35, lotus4s said:
On 23/1/2016 at 20:16, simon a-b said:

This is something I will do eventually too, I did a bit of research earlier on the aftermarket kits.  I second the 'life in Aus' speed comments!  

The kits have a servo type actuator that actually moves the accelerator pedal, based on a speed pulse signal.  From memory the link to the accelerator pedal was a fine chain rather than a bar, but I could be wrong about that.  The types of unit I saw (this is ten years ago now) used a Hall Effect pickup on a magnet bonded onto a driveshaft for their speed signal.  

There is an electrical box that basically keeps that pulse rate even by applying more or less throttle, and a micro switch for the clutch and brake that disables the system.  I'd think the tacho signal would be too high frequency compared to a once per wheel rev signal, but the theory is correct.   

I don't like the idea of the pedal moving, but the throttle linkage in our cars requires the cable to be in tension from the carbs onwards, so fitting the actuator elsewhere so as to not move the pedal needs some thought.  Possibly fitted to the lever the cable pulls on on the left hand side of the pedal box?  

I had mental  images of feet trapped under the accelerator pedal!  The other thing I'd do is fit a kill switch somewhere on the power feed.  Also most of the control stalks are hideous!

Cheers,

Simon

Something like this would work for you, you'd just have to work out the speed sensor (VSS)

cruise control

I can email you the installation file which has better pics if you like. Just PM me your email addy...

PM sent - thanks.

I have just ordered a kit from the states - so will be sure to document how I go :)

I'm not a fan of retro-fitting modern electronics or modern anything for that matter on a classic car.  And no doubt you'll need deface the interior in some way to put a switch in. Your car looks ace, I'd keep it original!

True though that there is no fun to be had on NSW highways...

Edited by Freemason
On 30/1/2016 at 23:12, Freemason said:

I'm not a fan of retro-fitting modern electronics or modern anything for that matter on a classic car.  And no doubt you'll need deface the interior in some way to put a switch in. Your car looks ace, I'd keep it original!

True though that there is no fun to be had on NSW highways...

Apart from an extra arm on the steering column, I am aiming for the installation to become invisible.  Yes, I too want to keep the car original, however also want to make it as fun to drive as possible !  As you too live in NSW, you know that Cops here have zero tolerance for speed limits and given that the lotus speedo will almost certainly be inaccurate, and all my driving is in rural areas (100km then 50km through towns etc), i feel it very necessary .  Besides, I don't think it will detract from the value of the car.   anyhow, I will see what it is all like when the kit arrives :)

I always use the sat nav as a speedo....no matter what car I'm driving!

• Gold FFM
On 22/01/2016 at 19:02, molemot said:

I got stymied initially when thinking of the mechanical connection of the actuator to the throttle linkage...as one needs to use the footpedal as well....Worth some more thought, as the engine is coming out and now would be the time to sort it.

Wouldn't it be possible to use the throttle jack to control the engine RPM? Much as it is used as standard (at least on later cars) for choke, increased rpm with A/C and even with EFI to compensate the EBPV on cold start. Range Rovers use a very similar system for the cruise control, also with a vacuum actuator. I rarely use it myself, but do have the full operation diagram somewhere if that could be of use.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Throttle jack??? What sophistication is this??? Not something that troubles the early carburetted Turbos, the only jack they have is a scissor type thing for emergency wheel changing!!! No, chum; the throttle linkage is all wire cable and levers....mechanical all the way...choke linkage, ditto.