free hit
counters
Upgrading nav maps - Page 2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Interesting topic, I'm now struggling to update my INE-W990BT in the Evora 400.

Looks like it has a map from Jan 2015, yet it says in the tool it is up to date.

Currently Owned: 2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400 'Hethel Edition' in Essex Blue, Red Leather, Red Calipers, Silver Forged Wheels
Previously Owned: 2010 Lotus Evora NA in Solar Yellow, Sports Pack, Tech Pack, "Heritage Edition" Recaro Seats
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
4 hours ago, trcm said:

Did you get a free map update, or pay for the latest ones from alpine.naviextras.com ?

I tried the map update process as mine is using NavTeq maps from 2011.Q3 apparently,

as I was led to believe a newly registered INE-W920R would be entitled to a free update, but haven't found an option to get that :(

I guess it depends on how old the unit is. No free upgrade on my 2015 reg S1 which also has old maps so left it until a few weeks ago and took out the option to upgrade to all new releases in the next 12 months

3 hours ago, CocoPops said:

Interesting topic, I'm now struggling to update my INE-W990BT in the Evora 400.

Looks like it has a map from Jan 2015, yet it says in the tool it is up to date.

It is a poor website but my latest update was for maps released Q2 2016 albeit it doesn't say what the actual date of mapping was.

Mine also says I have the latest speed camera database. Well if so their latest database in massively out of date since on the way back from Rockingham last week it was telling there is a 40mph limit on part of the A14 that hasn't been there for over 2 years :o

Getting mine looked at my lotus garage in October before warranty is up. Think mine has issues. 

32 minutes ago, PaulCP said:

I guess it depends on how old the unit is. No free upgrade on my 2015 reg S1 which also has old maps so left it until a few weeks ago and took out the option to upgrade to all new releases in the next 12 months:o

Not on my 2015 manufactured, but 2016 registered ('16 plate) S1 either, thats crazy isn't it that a car barely a year old comes with mapping data four years old?

Interestingly, the alpine.naviextras.com website says this for my headunit, which explains why no free map update - as they're only within 30 days of first GPS fix :

Registered with PC-tool:
First GPS fix:
Edited by trcm

Managed to get my usb updated via naviextras now just need to update HU with it.

Currently Owned: 2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400 'Hethel Edition' in Essex Blue, Red Leather, Red Calipers, Silver Forged Wheels
Previously Owned: 2010 Lotus Evora NA in Solar Yellow, Sports Pack, Tech Pack, "Heritage Edition" Recaro Seats
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

Just updating with the 2016.02 Western Europe maps, 3D pack, and 'safety cam' database for the UK now.

Dealer offered to pay for them if I sent them the invoice, which seems like a good response.

I have an aftermarket Alpine unit (W987d or something) and this uses an SD card too. My subscription to the safety camera's had run out (it's an annual one) so just pooped out the SD card. Already had the Naviextra's app running on my PC when I put the SD card in and it recognised it straight away. immediately downloaded the latest map updates and then chose the Safety Camera data base again. paid the £13, and hey presto, it downloaded and worked first time when the SD card put back in the device. I have to say, it is pretty good coverage, but then as it uses the PocketGPSWorld database it should be as as far as i know that is considered the benchmark in the UK for speedcamera locations.

If I remember, the initial setup is key. Go to Naviextra's, register and get a logon. Then "prepare" your SD card in the device and download the device to it. Then, put the SD card in your PC with Naviextra app running and find it then "load and register it". I think if you get this sequence correct it saves a lot of hassle further down and am sure it is a pretty standard approach for all Alpine models on Naviextras.

Beware though, it does ask you to do a backup of your device on the PC (Naviextra's) - this can, the message says, take up to 20 hours, so i have never bothered and have so far had 18 months without any issues.

It's taken my quite a few months to really get the hang of my Alpine head unit - it actually has far more capability than any other head unit i have used (split screen sat nav and audio), full TMC, DAB, Bluetooth, hands free, and god knows what else. I think the Alpine's a re a quality bit of kit - the ONLY thing that lets them down in my humble opinion is the structure of the "menu's" - I think the "logical german minds" of the designers need a re-boot as they ain't always that logical in how they are laid out. And my one biggest gripe - there is not a "button" to just turn off the Audio (i.e. the radio / Dab / usb music etc!) instead i just have to select the AUX feed to kill it as i know i have nothing connected to that!  Logical thinking at work again... ;)

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

On 24/01/2016 at 14:17, C8RKH said:

Yes, download the "device" to the SD card from the Alpine unit then put it into the computer and upgrade - otherwise the app does not know you have an Alpine unit nor which model etc....

Hi Andy, just trying to update my maps on the Alpine 920r, and have got stuck!

I have updated the firmware successfully to 1.3 via USB. I bought a new micro SD card and inserted it into the device but I can't find anything in the menus which will download the device to the sd card and hope you can help?

Cheers

Steve

Does this help Steve:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erXTouuhpDo

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

I've seen that, but I thought from the comments on this thread that the first step was to put an empty micro card in the HU to then down load the nav from the 920r to the micro sd card.  So I need to download the map update tool on to the sd card as the first step?

Thanks,

As I recall, using a usb, I had to download a file that yhen 'communicated' with the head unit. After that take the usb back to the pc and then it registers with the map update site, all via Navie extras.

• Like 1

What Bruss said.  So:

Put SD card into the ICE unit and "download the device" - this essentially puts your ICE unit codes etc onto the SD card. You use the first menu option to do this on the ICE display - "Collect Device Information"

Go to your computer. make sure you have Navi extras installed and insert the sd card into the computer reader - naviextra's usually recognises the SD card straight away, but if not, point it to the sd card on your computer.

Navi extras should then read the SD card and it will tell you what "free updates" are available and give you the option to download.  You will then also see a range of "extra's" you can pay for - for instance the UK speed camera database (it is quite good value and works well) and other map upgrades - you get get free map upgrades for a period and then further updates are paid for.

Once you have selected the upgrades you want you download them to the SD card via Navi Extras.

Bo back tot he car, insert the SD card and use the second option "copy updates to your device" - 1m 16s on the video for the two options to display.

This then copies the map and firmware updates to your headunit and then hey presto, all done.

Hope this helps to sort it for you.