free hit
counters
check engine light - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
theelanman

check engine light

After charging my battery...I now have CEL.......anyone know how I can read this?......it's actually booked in for its service on Wednesday but wanted to know what was the cause of CEL.......

Doh!

The car is running fine and it's not limp home either......

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Normally it comes from the Lambda and it is not really relevant. Anyhow... let it check at service and you will see: no big item. 

I had the same thing happen to me yesterday. I called my dealer and they told me to make sure the gas cap is tight and then take it out for a drive. I drove car for about 10 miles came home and shut car off. When I restarted car the MIL went out. Only drive car if MIL is NOT flashing

• Like 1

ok....came to it this morning....started....no light.....

Id not used the car for 3 weeks prior to Sunday....I think I need to give it a run at least every week......

just have to think of places to go now....lol

its in for service later anyway so I'll get them to check what it was....

B-)

• Like 1

Bizarrely, I just got back from a meeting and was searching on this very subject.

Light came on and sudden loss of power, shift lights came up early sounded "wrong", very bass-y.

Pulled over, had a think and a smoke.  Not much I could do.

Restarted the car and normal power back, normal shift lights but light still on.

Any ideas people?

Can't help on the the problems, but I would suggest one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/ieGeek%C2%AE-Wireless-Diagnostic-Scanner-iPhone4S/dp/B016I5WYVS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454014199&sr=8-1&keywords=obd+ii+bluetooth+adapter

or a bluetooth version depending on your variety of phone (wifi version a must for iPhone) and then Torque app for Android or an equivalent for iPhone. I presume the OBD port for the Evora must be accessible, in my old Elise it was just under the dash.

For a tenner you can check and clear codes, it becomes a 5 minute job, normally followed by more informed internet searching to find what a code actually means...

Thinking about it, ref the battery CEL, was the battery disconnected for charging, my Elise used to throw a CEL probably 50% of the time when the battery was disconnected and reconnected. It then cleared itself I think after starting the car 5 times.

• Like 2

Thanks Chris - I have a Bluetooth jobby and Torque.  Will check it in the morning.  

So the fault code is P1302.

I can see that this has happened to other owners of the Toyota plant here.

I pulled the info using Torque as Chris suggested.  In the linked thread it suggests resetting the fault codes and seeing if it happens again before taking it in to the dealer.

My question is:  Is this a reasonable thing to do?  I don't want to reset the code and then carry on driving if I have a much more serious problem.  I am no way an expert on these things, so advice gratefully received.

11 hours ago, Chris J said:

Thinking about it, ref the battery CEL, was the battery disconnected for charging, my Elise used to throw a CEL probably 50% of the time when the battery was disconnected and reconnected. It then cleared itself I think after starting the car 5 times.

yes I had taken the battery out to charge it.........

wonder if.......I'll find out tomorrow I hope.....

as for the Bluetooth jobby....where does it fit and how easy is it to use?....

2 minutes ago, theelanman said:

as for the Bluetooth jobby....where does it fit and how easy is it to use?....

They're a doddle Gareth.

(sorry for the shitty quality, but it's blowing a bastard here so I wasn't hanging around for the perfect shot)

DSC_0025 (2).JPG

ah cool.....I cant say Ive been under there yet....:cry:

:thumbsup:

thanks

Torque seems to be the app of choice.  It's really simple to use.  Simply pair and launch the app :)

right.......amazon here we come.......

:-)

Mine went down in lemans last year Silverstone lotus changed it .

As on long drives was going in home mode told that if I did this

stop the car lock it wait for flashing lights on dash that resets the ECU to carry on with the journey .

Eddie.

33 minutes ago, a7esk said:

Mine went down in lemans last year Silverstone lotus changed it .

As on long drives was going in home mode told that if I did this

stop the car lock it wait for flashing lights on dash that resets the ECU to carry on with the journey .

Eddie.

did you mean 'limp home mode'?

if you went on a long drive it would go into 'limp home'........or were you told that if you went for a long drive it would go into 'limp home mode'???

not quite sure I understand.......:cry:

2 hours ago, DaveC72 said:

My question is:  Is this a reasonable thing to do?  I don't want to reset the code and then carry on driving if I have a much more serious problem.  I am no way an expert on these things, so advice gratefully received.

Yes, that is a reasonable thing to do (and exactly what the dealer would do first). Clear the code and if the problem persists, the MIL will come back on very quickly (with the associated code). If that happens, don't continue driving and call your dealer/servicing agent. The car might have to be recovered on a flatbed.

If the MIL doesn't come back on, then put it down to an electrical wibble.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, theelanman said:

did you mean 'limp home mode'?

if you went on a long drive it would go into 'limp home'........or were you told that if you went for a long drive it would go into 'limp home mode'???

not quite sure I understand.......:cry:

Oops sorry about that yes .

ok...spoken to Lotus dealer

fault is 'forced idle'.......caused by low battery.......

probably from when I turned the key to get the 'click click' when there's not enough charge to turn the starter....

anyway......nothing to worry about......

and Ive got software updates and all tickety boo........

• Like 1