free hit
counters
Brakes stick after leaving the car.... - Page 2 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Brakes stick after leaving the car....

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I had to take the front wheels off once on my 400 for the same reason. The car being stored in the garage but washed right before. Now, I always move the car back and forth by hand when I park it in and again on the day after when it was parked with a bit of humidity. 

Putting my 400 away wet last month cost me a new set of front pads.☹️

Always take for a run and never have issue as always kept in garage, but had been ceramic coated in December and got a bit dirty on way home so decided to snow foam. Didnt take for run on the salty roads just up and down drive. I forgot to move it for 2 weeks and front NS pad was welded to disk. RAC damaged pad and had to take off calliper and my mate spent 20 mins getting the pad remains off the disk.   

Even RAC guy had never experienced one stuck like this and think could have been the snow foam having a reaction with pad.

All sorted now though 

pads.jpg

• Confused 3
  • Sad 4

• 4 weeks later...

I do.....

Because when I left it outside under a cover the paintwork bubbled!

No space in garage so have no choice but to leave outside in all weather without a cover......

• Gold FFM

I do no garage converted to my office and music room 

I dispense with cover unless weather forecast predicts long spell of snow and freezing temperatures 

summer is prob with tree sap 

so when I wash the car I now know to drive it a few mins to expel water from the brakes 

• Gold FFM
8 hours ago, au-yt said:

Who leaves there car out side without a cover when it’s wet? 

My Esprit spends most of her time outside. No garage at my girlfriends, and the Workshop is usually quite crowded. If I'm not driving her for a couple of days I try to find a spot inside, but I prefer to leave her out to having to start and move her each day to get access to other cars etc. We used a generic outdoor cover on another classic because it was recently resprayed and we didn't have room inside. After just a few weeks it felt very damp, far worse than the Esprit that was exposed to the elements. It didn't need such an extensive clean like the Esprit to get the rained on dust etc off, but could have gone wrong if left for much longer.

Filip   

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM
On 14/03/2021 at 06:44, Cdm2018 said:

I do no garage converted to my office and music room 

I dispense with cover unless weather forecast predicts long spell of snow and freezing temperatures 

summer is prob with tree sap 

so when I wash the car I now know to drive it a few mins to expel water from the brakes 

Never park under a tree, worst stuff you can get on your car, it's terrible. Fortunately they don't move so not too difficult to avoid them... Bird poo on the other hand...

• Gold FFM

Unfortunately I can’t park anywhere else there’s three trees in front of my driveway so the tree sap is magnified three fold ! Oh yes trees also mean birds and there a couple of resident pigeons who love to crap on the cars 

see my posts on car detailing ? I am going to try and detail my car myself as £1.5k was too much for my pockets 🙁

• Gold FFM

Hi Graeme

i have put a cover on but during the summer the moisture can build up also the straps were scratching the sides and proved a pain ! Also as soon as you leave the car for a few hours the tree sap would form 

funnily I cleaned the car yesterday only spent an hour as I did it between zoom meetings , the brakes still stuck after an hour or so , decided to go shopping to dry the brakes out 

After spraying it on the discs I just move the car once up & down the drive & find the short braking action is sufficient to stop the brakes sticking.

• 1 month later...

I drove my car in the rain for about 8 miles. Then i parked in my garage. Two days later i tried to drive it out of my garage and the brakes are locked. Cant budge it at all. Im hoping it has something to do with wet brakes. Does anyone know how to resolve this? Maybe i can spray a brake and rotor cleaner to help with this? 

Thanks

• Gold FFM

You can try rocking the car, either by hand or in first/reverse (without too much power), but if the brakes don't come lose don't be tempted to just try harder. You don't want to cause damage.

Safest way is to take the wheels off so you can remove the brake pads, might not be easy but at least you can control what force and where to apply to get things unstuck. Clean any obvious rustmarks, replace and check each wheel spins freely. 

Did you appply the parking brake? That often causes trouble after a wet run, my advice is always to use it only when necessary. One of the reasons I hate the automatic electric parking brakes as you have no control over those.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Don't the electric parkbrakes have an override switch that you can press to either put the parkbrake on or to release it when you want?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

They do, but mine comes on automatically if I turn the car off usually. You can avoid it happening but there's a process, 99% of the time it's automatically applied and if as @Escape mentions, it sticks, the switch won't help at all. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Bugger. Mind you, some of the problems on here seem to be from moisture. Having said that, I have driven my S4 in the rain and have had rusty discs before, but I have never had the brakes stick as badly as described above. Handbrake applied or not.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

36 minutes ago, ramjet said:

Don't the electric parkbrakes have an override switch that you can press to either put the parkbrake on or to release it when you want?

The wife's Evoque sets the parking brake automatically, and you need the RR diagnostics to turn it off.

I have had the evora brakes stick (both cars), this never happened on my first 8 lotus cars even though there were used all year. Does not happen on the mg's I have, so it seems to be a new lotus feature. Happened a few times on one of my jeeps.

Had to just use loads of revs to get out of the garage, and it dragged the carpet out of the garage as well. May be the brakes are so large that this now is more likely?

But having seen the photo of a pad stuck to the disc, I am more careful to not use the handbrake, not use in the wet and if so push the car back and forth a few hours/days after parking up, if I have used in the wet.

• Gold FFM

There's a lot of factors that can affect the sticking. I regularly had sticky pads on my previous Esprit, and as many got in the habit of moving it back and forth a bit after a wet run. My current one doesn't seem to suffer at all. Only difference being I rebuilt the rear brakes shortly after getting the car.

The automatic handbrake should always have an override, but that's often far from straight forward. Renault ones being a particular PITA. I think it was on a Merc that we found a manual release lever to make it possible to free the brakes in the event of electrical failure (like a flat battery).

Worse case of sticking brakes I witnessed was many moons ago, on an offroad pay and play. We had been out all Saturday getting muddy and mucky and after a night of (light) frost a lot of cars were stuck in the parking lot on Sunday morning. Mainly those with drum brakes (filled with mud frozen solid) and especially if the handbrake had been applied. Most Land Rovers didn't have a problem, as the disc brakes had cleaned themselves sufficiently. So while we were out playing again, several others were struggling with jacks and wheel wrenches. It did help them get warm. 😁

Is this an issue that coincides with the roads being salted? Or am I speaking through my butt?

Ok. So why don't I get a similar issue with my S4 here in Geelong? I have driven it in the wet. I have got home and put the handbrake on. I have not had this problem. Brand of pads?

Yes, the issue we are talking about here is on Evora, but what has changed so much between my S4 and the Evora?